[3.0] [kungFoomoo]Meatball Totem | Video Guide | all map mods T15 | HC | SSF | BUDGET

INTRODUCTION

If you looking for that build, you know the one that can run all map mods regardless of combination on all tiers. Survive those moments when something epic happens on Game of Thrones and you aren't watching. Do almost all of the content the game has on offer without having to farm some 40ex worth of gear on some boring meta build? Then welcome to my first build guide, Meatball/Firestorm Totem!
My aim is to make this something players who are new to Path of Exile can understand and enjoy whilst also giving veterans (or rabid totem fanatics like myself) something to sink their teeth into and bounce feedback off of. I have been looting and murdering in Wraeclast since beta and have always loved totems, finding ways to keep them competitive without sticking to the FOTM is always a challenge! But through thousands of hours of experimentation I have found a totem build that doesn't have to sacrifice survivability in favour of crit to scale into late game like most totem builds (and no this is not pizza sticks). Instead we abuse the wonderful mechanic known as "overlap" which will be explained as we delve deeper into the depths of this guide, enjoy!

**DISCLAIMER** Before we start, so no time is wasted, this build WILL NOT kill Shaper. I do not believe in building around one boss and limited mechanics, this is designed around skills I personally enjoy.

UPDATES

Spoiler
Updated:
Jewels - Removed Rain of Splinters in favour of Inevitability x2.
Gear - Added 6L +2 Fire staff with a Kaom's Heart, it is a more budget and a more tanky choice than dual wielding without Tuko.
Skill Functions - Updated to accommodate for the use of Inevitability
Bandits - Updated for 3.0

VIDEOS

Spoiler

**MORE TO COME**

Build Guide

*Not Yet Updated for 3.0*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4RvGR0dozQ

T13 Waterways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DaGfywmWmY

Firestorm vs Magma Orb

Spoiler
Firestorm and Magma Orb are completely interchangeable without making changes to the passive tree or gear.
I am currently experimenting with Firestorm and am finding that it's clear speed as a whole is slower than Magma Orb but it's leech and ability to survive breaches with crazy map mods is better. It's single target pulls ahead of Magma Orb on Bosses with little to no movement, Magma Orb pulls way ahead on high movement fights.

At the end of the day it comes down to feel and what you personally enjoy, both are very viable choices! Below in the Gems & Links section I go over the few changes that need to be made to utilise Firestorm. Nearly everything in the guide that applies to Magma Orb also largely applies to Firestorm.

PLEASE NOTE if you do not have a Tukohama's Fortress I highly recommend a 6L +2 Fire staff with a Kaom's Heart or high life/resists/armour chest (easier on the wallet).

For a deeper understanding of Firestorm and overlap please head over to Pewpewpew's guide to understand how it functions on a more mechanical level :D
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1460817 <--- Pewpewpew's Guide <3

Pros:

Spoiler

+ Very tanky via leech
+ 5.5k MINIMUM health with a Tabula/SotL
+ VERY budget
+ Easy to play
+ Totems taunt
+ Immune to reflect
+ Can run EVERY map mod
+ Solo Self Found viable
+ HC safe!

Cons:
Spoiler
- Will not "melt" bosses
- Totems are not for everyone (passive playstyle)
- Uber lab required for leech (may struggle past T11 without it)
- Hard to 4 or 5 key Uber Lab due to totems melting the whole screen
- People will ask why you aren't just playing Warchief totems
- Not Shaper viable

2.6 Changes

Spoiler

Legacy has two pretty sexy buffs for us, good ol' Magma Orb slipping under the radar. First, the buff to the Unique Soul Mantle and second, the balance to AOE which makes initial investment into inc aoe more rewarding. To understand the changes I have linked them below in a spoiler.
From reading the patch notes, no changes to the tree appear to affect us at this stage.

**SKILL TREE'S WILL BE UPDATED ONCE POESKILLTREE RELEASES A VERSION FOR 2.6**

*Taken from patch notes*

-Area of Effect Balance Changes
Spoiler
"In this update, we are removing the concept of "Increased Radius of Area Skills" and replacing it with "Increased Area of Effect" for all skills, items and passives. The broad impact of this change is that early increases to area of effect will be significant and impactful, while every subsequent point will be less and less noticeable. Previously, each point spent towards increasing the radius of area skills was better than the last, making accumulation of the stat far too desirable.
Players who went out of their way to get as many sources of increased radius of area skills as they could will see significant reductions in their skill area of effect.
With this change we are hoping to make increasing the area of effect for skills a meaningful, and eventually costly, decision." -GGG

What does this mean for us? Well we are absolutely going to feel the early, more impactful results from the small amount of inc aoe on our tree and the free 28% increased Magma Orb explosion radius GGG buff'd for us (thanks again for being non-meta Magma Orb <3)

UNIQUES

Spoiler
Soul Mantle has received a HUGE buff, previously it provided with a free level 14 spell totem link, now they have buffed it all the way to level 20! This is huge, those 6 levels are a very big increase in totem life and the downside of this unique are so easily avoided with a Flask of Warding to remove curses (not that any curses really bothered us anyway XD). I am really excited to 6L this bad boy in the Legacy League!!

SKILL FUNCTIONS

Spoiler
So we are utilising magma orbs ability to overlap, similar to how glacial cascade and firestorm work. For this to happen we need to use either the Lesser or Greater Multiple Projectiles Support Gems or preferrably the Inevitability jewel.
What you end up with in theory (without crazy math but you get the idea) is something that looks like the image below.

Obviously the amount of overlap is dependant on your Area of Effect and will lessen the further it chains as the orbs fork away from each other.

This overlap coupled with the skills in-built chain cause a high level of dps and great clear speed (for a totem build).

SKILL TREE
Spoiler
Level 90 Tree
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/3.0.0/AAAABAEDAASzBsMLYQxfDjwQzBQgFHEWCxZvF4wYahkuGjgaPhpsHKcc3CSqJbwnLyftKS4qEyynNZI26TrhPAU8LT38RZ1G10rETeNTUlOlVkhXDVgHWGNY5VnzWiteXV8_Y_1mVGaeaPJxhXIPdqx4L3rmeyB7s3yDfLh85YIHgpuDX4PMjM-PGo9GkFWUb5o7muCboZ2un9-iAKPyplemo6cIp5Stja9stz65fsBmxFjE9sYExq7G2M9nz37R_dIh1abYJNi92WHZfNtP37_gw-Nq5CLr7u087w7vfPAf8azyL_JB8kX2SPau-JP60v4K_of-jw==TUKO TREE
Spoiler
I personally do not change a single thing, the Blood Stone Keystone is now wasted but that 1 point has opened up a whopping 35% increase to HP which is 5.6k with my current gear in a Tabula.
If however you feel you will lose sleep over your wasted point you could invest it in the Celestial Judgement passive providing you with some INCREASED fire damage and a further 2% fire pen.

Rush for the Ancestral Bond keystone following the main path and after that Blood Magic to make things more comfortable to play and pump up our health pool. Elemental Focus should be next on the list for the huge 40% MORE multiplier which is easily achieved with Orb of Storms linked with Increased Critical Strikes. Next is our dual curse which will skyrocket our dps with the use of a Curse on Hit with a Ball Lightning set up utilising Flammability and Elemental Weakness (Thanks Milky ^_^).
After that your options are simply more damage or more life, push into health nodes for life or regen or push into damage nodes if you are struggling.
Keep in mind the first jewel slot is for the Inevitability Jewel as it is the source of our overlap without LMP. A second Inevitability jewel can be used but you would need to utilise the slot just below Quick Recovery which is by no means efficient but the extra orb is more than worth it.
**SSF** you will most likely need to use LMP instead until you can chance or have one drop,

In regards to the endurance charge nodes that is again up to your discretion, for more damage take 2 jewel slots instead.

**APEP's RAGE**
This tree is what I used to reach the whopping required 212 intellect for Apep's Rage wand (which is a great option to dual wielded until you find something better and earn enough currency for a Tukohama's Fortress)

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAEDAASzBsMLYQxfDjwQzBEtFCAUcRYLFm8XjBhqGS4aPhpsHKckqiW8J-0pLioTLJwspzbpPAU8LT38RZ1G10rEUEdTUlOlVkhXDVgHWGNY5VorXz9j_WaeaPJxhXIPeC965nsge7N8g3y4fOV99YIHgpuDX4PMj0aaO5rgm6Gdrp_fogCj8qajpwitja9stz65fsBmxBXEWMT2xgTGrsbYz2fPftIh1abYJNi92WHZfNrd20_fv-DD42rkIuvu7TzvDu988B_xrPIv8kH2SPau-JP60v4K_oc=

Keep in mind that while you have sacrificed HP and resists, you can afford to be under the resist cap as your Totems taunt and you are completely mobile during encounters with packs and bosses. The dps from Apep's for 1 alch each is ridiculous and more than enough until something better drops, gets crafted or purchased.

LEVELING TREES
Spoiler
58 points - This is an example a the rush to the Ancestral Bond (taking Diamond Skin along the way to make cruel easier on resists) and Blood Magic keystones. I always take Combat Stamina and Heart of the warrior BEFORE Blood Magic to ensure I can sustain the cost of casting my totems (especially with a Tabula!)

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAEDAMbYWGM9_MRY9khfP4IH8kHSIRo-8i98uCku8axXDdlh1abtPJo7GS4n7cT25CLGrgthr2xo8vAfogAEs8BmPAWf3xpsNukkqhZv-tJmnljlKhNaK6PyuX7GBKajBsMWC3uzF4zPZ9l8FHEOPN-_20_gwyW8

98 points, approx lvl 77 - This is an example of a build at an average level. By this stage you should have established an easy resistance cap via the Diamond skin, Elementalist and Barbarism nodes along with enough Dex to level your Lesse Multiple Projectiles and utilise most wands (sceptre would be ideal). Grabbing the second Inevitability socket as well.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/3.0.0/AAAABAEDAASzBsMLYQxfDjwQzBQgFHEWCxZvF4wYahkuGj4abBynHNwkqiW8J-0pLioTLKc26TwFPC09_EWdRtdKxFBHU1JTpVZIVw1YB1hjWOVaK18_Y_1mnmjycYVyD3aseC965nsge7N8uHzlggeCm4Nfg8yPGo9Gmjua4Juhna6f36IAo_Kmo6cIrY2vbLc-uX7AZsRYxPbGBMauxtjPZ89-0iHVptgk2L3ZYdl820_fv-DD42rkIuvu7TzvDu988B_xrPIv8kHyRfZI9q74k_rS_gr-hw==

ASCENDANCY POINTS
Spoiler
Rush for Tukohama, War's Herald to make you reflect immune (it will also completely trivialise the fire breach) and then Hinekora, Death's Fury. Keep in mind that without Hinekora, Death's fury you will more than likely struggle past T11 as that is our only source of leech.

BANDITS
Spoiler
I have included the changes to the bandits as of 3.0 in a spoiler below
Spoiler
All changes:
Alira: 5 mana regeneration/sec, 20% critical strike multiplier, 15% all elemental res
Kraityn: is 6% increased attack speed /Increased cast speed / 3% attack dodge / 6% Movement speed
Oak: is 1% life regeneration/second, 2% physical damage reduction, 20% increased physical damage
Eramir: 2 passive points

In my opinion the most beneficial is absolutely the 2 skill points.

JEWELS
Spoiler

Inevitability gives us an extra orb for each jewel (try to at least run 2), each time our totem casts which will result in our overlap.

Clear Mind is by no means required, but again, for something so cheap ranging from 40-60% increased damage for 1 point (we are already pathing to the Scion health cluster) it's too good to really pass up if you arent SSF.

As with the tree, your choice in jewel depends entirely on what you feel you need and the current state of your gear.
If you need more defences get something with health and resists. Use the slot to reach the required int for wands or dex for gems. Or simply stack damage via Increased Fire Damage, Spell Damage, Totem Damage, Area Damage or Projectile damage.

DEFENSE
Spoiler
Pretty straight forward because our Totems taunt and leech for us. Also we are completely mobile while our totems do their thing.
But defensive gem set ups look something like:
3L - Enduring Cry + Inc Aoe + Inc Duration (In either your MH or OH)
4L - Chaos Golem/Stone Golem (Do you need the phys reduction or the life regen?) + Immortal Call + CWDT + Increased Duration (Helm, Boots or Gloves)

**You could also run a fire/lightning golem instead of the chaos/stone if you'd like some more damage.

GEAR

Spoiler

This is my current gear set up and it is still a work in progress though it is no push over it is completely capable of doing t16's, Atziri and Uber Lab easily.
You are always looking to cap resists once you are pushing past T9 (prior to that you can absolutely get away with being below the cap), life and then its either dex/int to use gear/gems, offensive stats (fire damage or spell damage) vs defensive stats (life regen, chaos resist).
You'll notice I've tried to get as much chaos res as I can rather than fire or spell damage, cast speed isn't that vital.
Again, you can miss out on offensive stats because of how the skill functions mechanically.
(Will be explained below)
The only reason I am using dex based gloves is because I found them mapping and haven't found anything to replace them with.
I recommend using Arm/Es in one of your slots to ensure you can easily colour sockets to use a double COH set up.

BUDGET

Spoiler

The build will run on a 15-20c budget and farm ALL map mods on red tier maps quite easily.
You can absolutely get away with not having Tukohama's Fortress(considering it is really the only expensive piece of gear) by dual wielding something like this with an Apep's Rage:

You will lose survivability and your totems will be a little more squishy but as they are doing WAY more dps they will be leeching more both to themselves and you.

STATS
Spoiler

Helm (armour base) - Life > Ele resists > Stats (to meet gear and gem req) > Regen/Chaos resist.
Gloves - Life > Ele resists > Stats (to meet gear and gem req) > Regen/Chaos resist.
Boots - Life > Ele resists > Stats (to meet gear and gem req) > Regen/Chaos resist. **Always try for the highest possible move speed after you have your defensive stats. No point running fast if you're dead :D
Jewellery - Life > Ele resists > Stats (to meet gear and gem req) > Inc fire damage >
Regen/Chaos resist.
Belt - Life > Ele resists > Regen/Chaos resist > Flask buffs
Main Hand/Off Hand - Inc Fire/Ele/Spell > Adds X to X Fire dmg to spells > Cast speed (Flame dash)/Attack speed (Shield charge)
+2 Fire Staff - Inc Fire/Ele/Spell > Adds X to X Fire dmg to spells
Shield (Armour based defensive) - Life > Ele resists > Flat Armour > % Inc Armour > Regen/Chaos resist.
Shield (ES based offensive) - Life > Ele resists > % Inc spell/fire damage > Regen/Chaos resist. **In my opinion you would just be better off dual wielding sceptres or wands but if you really wanted to try and find some balance between the two I wouldn't use anything except a Titanium base for the block chance.

FLASKS
Spoiler

A very basic flask set up. Seething Hallowed of Staunching is pretty much manditory, we use a Seething Hallowed because it is by far the best instant health flask option in the game due to it's charge usage and generation.
You'll notice I only use one health flask, it's a set up I am comfortable with because I can't live without at least one Quicksilver and Atziri's Promise is too much dps to say no to . The Rumi's is just an upgrade on a standard granite, which I recommend using as our totems benefit from the armour as well and the Basalt is just by far the best phys reduction.
You could absolutely swap out Atziri's (Once you have Xoph's remove Atziri's for another Health Flask) or the Quicksilver for a second health flask, either another Seething Hallowed with either Freeze or Hex Immunity or if you are looking for something to counter traps or heavy DOT damage, as we are Blood Magic we can make use of the Sapping prefix which provides a 40% increased Life Recovered but removes 10% of Life Recovered from Mana when used (which does not affect us).

LINKS AND GEMS
Spoiler
Set ups are in order of importance
Chest 4L (R,R,G,B,G) - Spell Totem (R) + Magma Orb (B) + LMP (G) + Fire Pen (R)
Chest 5L (R,R,B,B,G) - Add Controlled Destruction (B)

*Inevitability Jewel (Recommended)
Spoiler
On a 5L this will effectively give you 6L replacing your LMP.
A setup would look like (R,R,B,B,B) - Spell Totem (R) + Magma Orb (B) + Controlled Destruction (B) + Elemental Focus (B) + Fire Pen (R)

6L +1 Chest/6L +2 Fire Staff.
Chest 6L Tabula or other Non +1 to all skills - Add Elemental Focus or Empower lvl 4
*Recommended* Chest 6L +1 Tabula or Skin of the Loyal - Empower lvl 3/4

There are 3 4L set ups we use and they can be put into any of the 3 possible slots depending on how you have them coloured.

4L CWDT (4R) - Golem + Imm Call + Inc Dur + CWDT

4L COH (4B) - Orb of Storms + Elemental Weakness + Flamability + Curse on Hit (The damage MULTIPLIER here is INSANE)

3L End Cry - Enduring Cry + Inc Aoe + Inc Duration (easy charge generation)

Utility - I use Shield Charge + Portal + Faster Attacks (Flame Dash + Faster casting if wand/staff) in my main hand for a bit of mobility

FIRESTORM

Spoiler
If you are looking for an alternative to Magma Orb because you aren't feeling it or you just love Firestorm (it gets pretty dumb with Tuko's fyi) it is completely interchangeable.
The only things you need to do is swap Ele Focus for Faster Casting and remove Inevitability.
Colouring, gearing, it all remains exactly the same! :)

UNIQUES
Spoiler
The following uniques are in no way manditory but they greatly increase the potential of the build.

Tukohama's Fortress gives us a 3rd totem and greatly boosts our totems ability to survive high tier mapping. This shield is the most expensive part of the build should you choose to grab it.

Xoph's Blood Amber Amulet is a 10% more multiplier through reduction in enemy resistances coupled with a huge increase to our EHP and fire resistance. Considering Xoph is an absolute joke for us to farm this is an incredible addition to our build for little effort and cost!

Skin's of the Loyal Simple Robe is not required by any means. It is essentially a +1 Tabula with 100% increased armour on it.

Apep's Rage Opal Wand is something I believe to be hugely undervalued. For around 1-2 alch you can give yourself a huge boost in dps, I dual wielded these before I had my current wand and Tuko's. The increase in cost doesn't really affect us with the Blood Magic Keystone. I have added a skill tree above with the required int for this item (taking into account you are using a high int neck).

Essence Worm coupled with the Anger aura will provide a substantial boost in DPS should you be able to maintain resistances and stat requirements.

LEVELING
Spoiler
Leveling is very very easy. I generally start a Templar, get magma orb from town then buy 7 (find some wisdom's ofc) then mule them to start levelling them right away in order to lessen the cost of a 21/20 gem later. Put on your lifesprigs or craft a +1 fire wand/sceptre (Magic wand + Ruby ring + Orb of Alteration) and level with Flame totem and Firestorm until you have grabbed Lesser Multiple Projectiles (Ranger, Shadow, Duelist or Scion after Prison) and Ancestral Bond Key Stone. AFter that you drop the totems, the things die and you win! :D

Q&A

Spoiler

This section will be updated as more questions come in that I feel are helpful.

1.Why do you use skin of the loyal and not a regular 6l?
Spoiler
A. EDIT: I am no longer using a Skin of The Loyal because my gem set up has changed due to the Rain of Splinters Jewel. Currently I am using a +1 Tabula with a Rain of Splinters set up (R,R,R,B,B,B Ele Focus gets subbed in over LMP). I wouldn't really recommend a SoTL with this socket colouring as it would be ridiculously expensive. That currency could be spent on better boots, helm etc imo. I will experiment with an Infernal Mantle soon.

So why not use Rain of splinters to get rid of the LMP less multiplier and free a link for something like faster casting, Increased Aoe/Conc, slower projectiles?
Spoiler
2. After some helpful theory crafting from my fellow exiles this jewel should absolutely be utilised in favour of LMP accompanied by Elemental Focus.

If you made it this far I really appreciate you taking the time to read my guide! I would love feedback, let me know how you have gone with it or if even just by reading this you notice something I could improve on. Even after so much time in Wraeclast there is always so much to be learnt!
I will be consistently updating and adding to this post and a video will be added ASAP.
Feel free to add me in game should you have any questions or feedback.
Stay safe out there Exiles ^_^

Last edited by kungfoomoo on Apr 19, 2018, 2:55:32 AM
Last bumped on Oct 9, 2017, 6:52:46 PM
WoW! this build is fkn amazing!! 10/10 i recommend :D
Would a doryani's catalyst work well with this build?
what makes magma orbs superior to flameblast?
"
Stonetony wrote:
Would a doryani's catalyst work well with this build?

Doryani's is a great unique, however it lacks the "adds x to x fire damage to spells" which is significant once you've got a fair amount of fire pen and inc fire damage. A well rolled rare will always out perform a unique but doryani's is fine if you prefer shield charge to flame dash, i found better results with Apep's prior to my current wep and Tuko's.
"
what makes magma orbs superior to flameblast?

In short, nothing. I HATE how Flameblast feels and plays personally. This is simply an alternative to the meta that performs in all content, is extremely cheap and still has so much room grow from where I have it currently.
I'm level 81 on HC and am loving the build currently but i had two questions for you. What magma orb enchant from lab would be the best to aim for? Also if you can get the resists and dex on other gear how much would an essence wyrm with anger socketed in it be worth?
"
Nogaholic wrote:
I'm level 81 on HC and am loving the build currently but i had two questions for you. What magma orb enchant from lab would be the best to aim for? Also if you can get the resists and dex on other gear how much would an essence wyrm with anger socketed in it be worth?

Hey Nogaholic and thanks for the feedback! :D
I would run either the extra chain or aoe. The aoe would provide better single target damage as it would cause more overlap should the boss move away from the totems (the spread from LMP works like a shotgun it would just make the single target more consistent) and the chain would be amazing for breaches.
And as for Anger absolutely go for it if you can afford to drop the defences and ehp.
Stay safe out there ^_^
No problem, its pretty sturdy in HC and i did end up adding the ring plus anger and it helps a lot. Doesnt avatar of fire cancel out the atziri flask or do the totems still get the chaos damage but not on the tooltip?
Last edited by Nogaholic on Jan 5, 2017, 4:47:02 PM
"
Nogaholic wrote:
No problem, its pretty sturdy in HC and i did end up adding the ring plus anger and it helps a lot. Doesnt avatar of fire cancel out the atziri flask or do the totems still get the chaos damage but not on the tooltip?

Yea if you are using Xoph's drop the Atziri's. The flask causes the totems to leech more to themselves during the effect as well as the damage. Until then it's extremely cheap and normal Atziri is a joke. :D
Thank for the feedback I'll update the forum post to include this information.
Last edited by kungfoomoo on Jan 5, 2017, 6:57:47 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info