FPS issues only in 2.5 (prepatch was fine)

Athlon x4 860k quad core running on 3.7Ghz
GTX 650 2GB
12GB Ram
Win7 x64

Experiencing FPS issues literally in every single breach in game.
Only in breaches. And all the time.
The game runs fine, smooth, with no real issues.
That is, until I open the breach.
Now, when I open the breach, when the first pack of mobs appear, the game starts slowing down, FPS jumps all over the place and then falls to 3-4 fps when mobs starts firing out their skills, and CPU jumps to 80-90% usage on all cores, and on lightning breach, it 100% usage.
While I don't know anything about it, I'm fairly positive that this shouldn't be happening.
By talking to couple of personas, it led me to believe that particles might be the cause of the problem.
If anyone has some kind of fix in their mind, it would be appreciated
Last edited by Songweaver on Dec 14, 2016, 9:40:09 AM
I have fps issues also. In my opinion it is caused by INTERNET LAG and SERVER PROBLEMS. I have tested PoE different time in a day. For example at night, 4 a.m. I had stable 60 fps, in breach it went a bit lower but playable (both high and low graphic options). In the evening, when I guess servers are most busy I had huge fps spikes even in town. Try test POE like me at night, so we would be sure its server problem and our computers are fine :).
PS. In other games (League of Legends, Counter Strike GO, Diablo 3) I have normal ping and fps.
Last edited by datexs on Dec 14, 2016, 10:05:09 AM
A couple of things. For the guy who is using the 1070, you really need to run in Fullscreen mode instead of Windows Fullscreen.

Also turn off vsync within the app and go into your nvidia control panel and force vsync there (default its set to application-controlled). Just set it to on. Way smoother screens after this change and I'm on a GTX 970 not even the 10x cards.

Turn off post processing.
"
datexs wrote:
I have fps issues also. In my opinion it is caused by INTERNET LAG and SERVER PROBLEMS. I have tested PoE different time in a day. For example at night, 4 a.m. I had stable 60 fps, in breach it went a bit lower but playable (both high and low graphic options). In the evening, when I guess servers are most busy I had huge fps spikes even in town. Try test POE like me at night, so we would be sure its server problem and our computers are fine :).
PS. In other games (League of Legends, Counter Strike GO, Diablo 3) I have normal ping and fps.

Ok, I did it. Here's the outcome:
- Tried in the early morning (about 4am), before I went to work, game plays fine, opening the breach drops my fps down to maximum of 4-5 fps when mobs fire it up, cpu usage 80-90% depending on the breach. Haven't seen lightning breach.
- Tried afternoon, got home from job (about 2PM), had lunch, fired the game up, all the same.
- Tried in the evening, (about 7PM), and before bed, (about 10PM), all the same, although sometimes I get package loss.
Seeing it as it is, it only happens while opening the breach, fps goes wild and cpu usage jumps up to 100% depending on the breach (lightning breach makes all 4 cores 100% usage, the rest about 80-90% cpu usage)
Skills that I use don't matter, tried warchief, tried split arrow, even tried just walking around without firing any skills, it's all the same
I don't really have the issue with the ping, I'm always sitting between 32-47ms, in the evening at about max 67ms
Graphical settings don't play the role here, tried with lowest possible settings and shit resolution, post processing on and off, vsync on and off, and I have played on my native 1360x768 ever since beta, up until pre breaches, and I had no real problems.
At this point, when I open the breach I can only hold my right mouse button and pop diamond flask and pop seething life flasks every second or two, hoping that I won't die, and I have tried literally every graphical setting.
Can't even think about trying the actual breach and breachlords... *sadface*
I'm interested... Are the people who are actually working on this game READING THIS SHIT?!?!?!
And if YES, why are you not doing anything for the love of god!?

You made the best game of all time, but you can't optimize it to run on anything other than NASA computers??

Here is some info for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Witcher 3: 1440p / Max settings = 60 fps constantly
Grand Theft Auto 5: 1440p / Max settings / 4x MSAA = 60 fps constantly
Battlefield 1 : 1440p / Max settings = 60 fps constantly
The Division: 1440p / Almost max settings = 60 fps constantly
Far Cry Primal: 1440p / Almost max settings = 60 fps constantly
Heroes of The Storm: 1440p / Almost max settings = 60 fps constantly
Path of Exile: no shadows, texture quality=5, dx9, every option disabled or set to minimum - 1-5 FPS while in Combat
:) Nice :)

FIX! NOW!

Hi all,

Back to this game after a long break (since 2.2) and experiencing FPS drop at some point. Sometimes I a can play 1-2 hours without something noticable, and sometimes I have FPS drop quite often.
I am worried as I read lots of complaints from you guyz since the launch of 2.5 (if I have well understood the issue).
What about today ? It seems that the issues still exist, or did I missed a thread explaining some "solutions" ?

As always, Thx for your help
Have fun storming the caaastle !! :-)
same story here.....gaming pc , can run literally ANY game , its the first time since i got this pc that i experience lag spike..

would really like to see a dev answer these posts
Well they botched the patch - 2.5.2 - as it gives worse experience than 2.4.x regarding FPS, hell, in 2.4 I never dropped below 10 FPS even when using the infamous Lightning Strike level 20 + Multistrike + Faster Attacks, and now I reach 0 - yes, you read 0 correctly - FPS at times for more than 2 seconds.

The game runs abysmally, and I will stop playing it until they bother to fix it - no, it's not my notebook or PC, as those were working great with 2.4 (and upgrading from 16.12.2 to 17.1.2 Crimson drivers doesn't improve the situation for R9 M280X/R9 290X), and are in a sad state only post 2.5.2...

By the way, V-Sync in game doesn't work as it should as the FPS never spiked to >63 FPS on 2.4 and now, in 2.5.2 I see spikes of >100 FPS with the V-Sync turned on, and the FPS counter seems like a defibrillation monitor without a hint of smoothness...

The last set of performance improvements decreased performance and is sad, because it was supposed to improve it for CPU limited situations, and it was instead a huge flop...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Last edited by sofocle10000 on Feb 10, 2017, 7:36:50 AM
I have enought of brutal fps drops for today!

Finished this painfull league with ~0-60fps and perma deaths due to framerate drops...
For now, i'm only awaiting next patch if something gets better... if not, unfortunately i have to look for another game to play, even i don't want to :(

As many here, i had no "brutal" framedrops before 2.5 and during prepatch period...

Whispering ice = perma 0-40 fps drops, what the hell??!
Playing ST raider = many times dead due to 0-50 FPS... WUT, like really?!
Open any breach = 50% insta death guaranteed due to 0-10 FPS... cmon guys, are u kidding me?

Really getting tired of trying, DX9-DX11, different gpu settings, engine multi on/off. Heavy FPS drops still persists

Sapphire RX480 Nitro+ 8GB GDDR5 (Polaris core, gpu@1342MHz, g-ram@8GHz)
AMD Phenom II X4 @3.5GHz
Ram 16GB Kingston HyperX
MB Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7
Intel SSD

To all AMD dislikers, don't comment AMD cards please. Running DOOM 2016 on ultra settings with 60++ frames constantly, so problem is somewhere else, not in "AMD" brand...

GGG, please make some optimizations, it's not possible to have 40-50% CPU load when GPU load is 2-10% only!!!

Do we really have to pray (or more like to beg) for more optimized game?

cheers
“Three great forces rule the world: stupidity, fear and greed.”
― Albert Einstein
Last edited by jozefch on Feb 21, 2017, 3:34:30 PM
I also have some issues with Dx9 or Dx9Ex.

PC System:

Spoiler
Intel® CORE® i7-7700K 4.2-4.5Ghz, 8 MB cache
DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz CL15
SSD Crucial MX300 series 525GB SATA3, 530/510 MBs, 3D NAND flash technology
GeForce® GTX 1070 Quick Silver 8G OC , 8GB GDDR5, Boost Clock: 1797 MHz, Memory Frequency (OC mode)

With Dx11 Beta i have maybe 220-260 fps, and for example with Dx9 or Dx9Ex fps drops to 150-220 fps.

Game Settings:

Spoiler
Resolution: 1920x1080
Shadow Quality: High
Antialiasing Quality: SMAA High
Texture Quality: High
Texture Filtering: 16x Anisotropic Filtering
Post Processing: Checked
Screen Shake: Checked
Engine Multithreading: Enabled

I know, maybe for me it's not a big problem at all, but anyway I noticed that fps drops, and just wanted to let you know.
“All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info