guide/how to: ULTRA LOW settings for weak systems

great guide sir :) i can play on my integrated graphics 30 fps or more :D
"
RedNoak wrote:

fullscreen=true <- change to false

Doesnt windowed mode generally make the game run slower?
This topic is great. I was able to simplify my graphics and gain some extra frames. But my game STILL freezes and often disconnects during

1) Piety
2) Dominus
3) Entering town with lots of people
4) Shrines
5) Monsters with lots of spell effects such as Arctic Breath
6) Monsters with auras

GGG, please do something!
All that matter is texture quality and resolution because others settings are in the UI already.

I recommend staying in fullscreen, Window mode doesn't necessarily mean more fps, it's often the opposite.

Also, nice Reply/View ratio (13:20600)
Tech guy
Last edited by Warrax on Jan 29, 2014, 12:52:12 PM
"
Warrax wrote:
All that matter is texture quality and resolution because others settings are in the UI already.

I recommend staying in fullscreen, Window mode doesn't necessarily mean more fps, it's often the opposite.

Also, nice Reply/View ratio (13:20600)

I can't get the settings low enough. I set texture filtering to 0 and quality to 100 (though it looks the same as 5) and my game is still slow during certain moments. I can't lower my resolution 800x600 otherwise when i alt-tab back into the game it won't stretch to fit my screen. I alt tab a lot during five-minute load times.
"
I can't get the settings low enough. I set texture filtering to 0 and quality to 100 (though it looks the same as 5) and my game is still slow during certain moments. I can't lower my resolution 800x600 otherwise when i alt-tab back into the game it won't stretch to fit my screen. I alt tab a lot during five-minute load times.

Sounds like you need a better system to play PoE on then.
"
Drakier wrote:
"

Sounds like you need a better system to play PoE on then.

I don't need a better system. My system is fine. I have a 2013 11" Macbook Air. The problem is this game does not support low enough graphics settings.

I don't give a shit about graphics, I just enjoy the gameplay and want a fast frame rate. Give me DOS graphics please. Give me that choice.
"
I don't need a better system. My system is fine. I have a 2013 11" Macbook Air. The problem is this game does not support low enough graphics settings.

I don't give a shit about graphics, I just enjoy the gameplay and want a fast frame rate. Give me DOS graphics please. Give me that choice.

Your system begs to differ. If you're using the 2013 11" MacBook Air, it probably has only the default integrated Intel HD Graphics 5000 or some such crap right? While integrated graphics are getting better and are better than the older models, they still can't even come close to competing with dedicated graphics cards.

PoE is what it is. It is unlikely that they'll lessen the requirements of GPUs to accommodate GPUs that don't have enough power ... although maybe with more time and money they can optimize the engine to perform better. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Until then, you're stuck with what the game is, and what the game provides for options. If that still isn't low enough, then it's because your GPU isn't capable of performing to what PoE needs.

The other problem with integrated GPUs is that most of them don't have a dedicated bus in most cases so they require usage of the CPU to do graphics processing... so not only is your CPU performing normal CPU tasks, but it's also trying to process graphics at the same time. It's akin to doing software rendering rather than hardware rendering.. although it's slightly better because the hardware in this case is a little more optimized for it. That's different than a dedicated GPU which the CPU can completely offload all graphic processing tasks to the GPU to be performed in parallel to whatever the CPU is doing.

Just because you have a 2013 11" MacBook Air, doesn't make it a great gaming machine. Most laptops make VERY poor gaming machines. They're not made for gaming in most cases (even most of the ones that say "Gaming" on the name or box). They have poor heat dissipation and the hardware isn't built for it. They're meant for "office" type tasks.
"
Drakier wrote:
"

Your system begs to differ. If you're using the 2013 11" MacBook Air, it probably has only the default integrated Intel HD Graphics 5000 or some such crap right? While integrated graphics are getting better and are better than the older models, they still can't even come close to competing with dedicated graphics cards.

PoE is what it is. It is unlikely that they'll lessen the requirements of GPUs to accommodate GPUs that don't have enough power ... although maybe with more time and money they can optimize the engine to perform better. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Until then, you're stuck with what the game is, and what the game provides for options. If that still isn't low enough, then it's because your GPU isn't capable of performing to what PoE needs.

The other problem with integrated GPUs is that most of them don't have a dedicated bus in most cases so they require usage of the CPU to do graphics processing... so not only is your CPU performing normal CPU tasks, but it's also trying to process graphics at the same time. It's akin to doing software rendering rather than hardware rendering.. although it's slightly better because the hardware in this case is a little more optimized for it. That's different than a dedicated GPU which the CPU can completely offload all graphic processing tasks to the GPU to be performed in parallel to whatever the CPU is doing.

Just because you have a 2013 11" MacBook Air, doesn't make it a great gaming machine. Most laptops make VERY poor gaming machines. They're not made for gaming in most cases (even most of the ones that say "Gaming" on the name or box). They have poor heat dissipation and the hardware isn't built for it. They're meant for "office" type tasks.

I use a cooling station to deal with heating problems. My laptop can many games without any problems. I can even run Dota 2, which came out in 2013. It all comes down to how intelligently the game is coded. An intelligently designed game can deliver the graphics necessary to provide the user with necessary information about the state of the game without overconsuming resources. There ought to at least be an option to turn town the graphics to be able to run the game on a weaker system. Not everyone is going to go out of their way to buy a gaming system. I bought MBA because it met all my other needs perfectly, then I got addicted to this game.
not all games are created the same. GGG isn't a multi million (billion) dollar company so they don't have the same resources as a lot of other companies to refine/tune/optimize their custom engine the same way.

also, Dota2 runs on the Source engine which is a pretty old engine developed by Valve which has a boatload of money. It's meant to run on older cards.. like Half-Life 2 or Counterstrike. The age of the game itself is irrelevant. It's the age of the engine that is important in this case.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info