Blade Flurry

The skill has a buggy mechanic, as some users posted here and on reddit:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1769616/page/1/#p13888102
"The one who dies with the most toys is still dead."
- Geth, keeper of the Vault.

STOP SAYING IT'S OP, it's not. Those saying so are cringe worthy, overreacting and dramatizing with no facts and no actual testing.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1768915

You can't compare this skill to the other 2 channel skills, apples and oranges.

You can't compare this skill to most other melee skills, cause they're dog crap.

If you go by that logic then not just BF but everything should be lowered to old, crappy melee standards.
Dark_Chicken - lvl 100 Marauder
Divine_Chicken - lvl 100 Duelist
Last edited by Dark_Chicken on Nov 19, 2016, 4:32:21 PM
"
Dark_Chicken wrote:
STOP SAYING IT'S OP, it's not. Those saying so are cringe worthy, overreacting and dramatizing with no facts and no actual testing.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1768915

You can't compare this skill to the other 2 channel skills, apples and oranges.

You can't compare this skill to most other melee skills, cause they're dog crap.

If you go by that logic then not just BF but everything should be lowered to old, crappy melee standards.

This x1000. People love crying OP for some reason.

I just got my Occultist up to level 74 with BF running with quad curse, not gonna lie, its pretty darn effective, but i still have to get close to a mob, cast 2-4 times till they all blow up. It feels strong, but it feels good, not over the top.

This is nothing like BV where you can just walk through mob after mob, or the countless rangers that can 1 shot off screen sprinting.
Last edited by TenTonBlue on Nov 20, 2016, 5:24:37 AM
1, AOE clearing
2, 360% "explosion" deal big damage to enemy near you
3, crazy hitting frequency
4, low mana cost

how is this not OP? there's no other melee skill even comes near this much effectiveness, for a char invested in some AOE and use inc aoe in link, BF's "range" or to say the distance between you and the monster is even longer than frostblade, sure lightning strike can attack with further distance but you need to hold shift with that one.

Make every melee skill do more damage than this one. This provides everything you need right out of the box, with a higher damage effectiveness than any other melee skill, including pre-nerf Earthquake.

I haven't seen a good piece by piece breakdown of the effective base damage yet:

65% more attack speed and 67.4% base damage to start with means that right off the top we start at 109.56%. Note that that is before taking into account the damage bonuses and extra hits that the stacks provide.

Each attack does build a stack though, giving 20% more damage to the following attacks, and causing a second hit at the end when released. So by making 6 attacks you actually make 12:

1st hit 100%
2nd hit 120%
3rd hit 140%
4th hit 160%
5th hit 180%
6th hit 200%
7th to 12th hits 220% when triggered.

Thats a total of 2,220% damage, but over 6 attacks, so dividing that by 6 brings that to 370%. Multiplying that by the speed bonus and starting base damage gives us 411%.

Essentially, between the extra attacks and the damage stacks, you are attacking the equivalent of 3.5 times per each attack, and you're attacking 65% faster.

Note that if you can trigger Earthquake as fast as you can attack, it only has 272% effective base damage. Pre-nerf Earthquake was 294%. This is 40% more damage than pre-nerf Earthquake, and 50% more than current Earthquake, and you don't have to fuck around with reducing duration.

So if Earthquake was at all deserving of its nerf, then Blade Flurry should probably have it's damage reduced by half.

Remove the 65% more attack speed, or the 20% more damage per stack, or make it not attack while it builds up charges.
Last edited by RickyDMMont2ya on Nov 20, 2016, 12:41:07 PM
I love all the comparisons to other skills, but i have a Wild Strike Marauder with 100k dps and i just walk up to mobs and they fucking explode in a quarter of a second, but no, BF takes 2-3 hits and its OP.

I think all BF is proving is how broken multistrike is, I get more damage from using it than BF. Lets not even get into BV or any bow pathfinder ever.
Thanks for the anecdote.

Your unoptimized Blade Flurry build certainly taught us all a lesson.

All other things being equal, let's compare Wildstrike + Multistrike with Blade Flurry. Let's use the Wildstrike as the base, and say we have 100k dps and attack 10 times per second, and work back from there.

Undoing Multistrike first:
Dividing by 194% attack speed we get 5.16 attacks per second.

Dividing by 70% less damage and we get 14,285 damage per attack.

Now to undo Wildstrike we divide by its Base Attack damage of 175.6% to get 8,135 damage per attack.

Now to bring in Blade Flurry:
Multiplying 5.16 attacks per second by 165% is 8.5 attacks per second.

Damage wise, 8,135 multiplied by the 66.4% of Blade Flurry is 5,401 damage per hit.

Just attacking once with Blade Flurry deals 5,401 for the initial hit, and if you release it then, does 6,481 for the triggered hit. That's a total of 11,882.

So anything you would kill with one attack of Wildstrike (10,000), you would kill with one attack of Blade Flurry (11,882).

Against a boss, we already know that the Wildstrike dps would be 100k.

To calculate the max dps of Blade Flurry, we need to know how long it takes to get to 6 stacks. At 8.5 attacks per second, it takes 0.7059 seconds.

During that time it would do:
5,401 damage with hit 1;
6,481 damage with hit 2;
7,561 damage with hit 3;
8,641 damage with hit 4;
9,721 damage with hit 5;
10,802 damage with hit 6; and
11,882 damage each with triggered hits 7 to 12.

Thats a total of 119,899 damage. But remember that's only in 0.7059 of a second. We have to divide the damage by the time it took to get the dps. That means it does 169,852 dps. That's 70% more than Wildstrike and we haven't even included another support gem to replace Multistrike. Let's be mean and say it's Conc Effect. Now Blade Flurry is dealing 270k dps. That's 270% more than Wildstrike+Multistrike.

So if your Blade Flurry build is struggling compared to Wildstrike, it's due solely to your build. I guess that you probably stacked elemental damage increases or tried to still use WED with Blade Flurry or something like that.
Last edited by RickyDMMont2ya on Nov 20, 2016, 2:50:55 PM
Wow, youre ignoring so many variables it just blows my mind. You try to do math as simplistic as possible because you think youre smart? I guess?

You cant simplify things like that with a game this complex, but I already know youre one of those people who wont be able to understand this, so im just going to say that everything you just put was a waste of time. Sadly most people probably wont even really realize why because people like "simple".

Anyway, dont bother responding, i already know trying to talk with you is going to be like trying to staple water to concrete.
Ok at first dont compare skills with each other cuz if we do so Bladeflurrys dmg is the biggest dogcrap i ever seen compared to bladevortex.

Range is ok dmg feels i dunno how to say that the build is far away from op its not the dmg it does, but the time wasted standing still makes this skill fun to play, but i see no real use for this skill in this clearspeed meta against other skills.

Bladevortex, Signal shot, ED are way faster for clearing maps and BV & signal shot are way more superior to kill bosses even shaper in seconds while with bladeflurry you need to run around like a stupid chicken and waste your time channeling.

If they are not major changes to other skills i dont think this skill will be ever more then just fun to play & waste your time channeling.
Ingame: Snoxz

My Shop: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/245436
The other variables weren't ignored, they were simply held constant between the two skills.

If you can name some you think are relevant to consider, please do so.

I'm open to discussion, unlike you. Present an argument instead of nonsense.
Last edited by RickyDMMont2ya on Nov 20, 2016, 4:14:06 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info