Good vampire movies.

It's fine mate, I'm not fragile :P

He might be pointing it out, I just don't like his movies and that's that I guess :)
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Shadow of the Vampire. Most creative premise if nothing else.
Let the right one in.

Want more gore? Action?

Blade and Blade 2. Don't go any further.

All Bloodspecies movies if you're into cheesy, they're great, but also if you are into vamps before they got lace and turned into sex objects. The story of Full Moon Studios is maybe worth a film in itself, though it would most likely be a short. LOL

On that note, the original Nosferatu (silent) as well as remake from Herzog.
John Carpenter's Vampires for more cheesy fun from the 90s.
From Dusk til Dawn is more for the action oriented with the psycho is worse than the monsters (or is he?) sub plot.

The Hunger. Worth a watch just to check out vintage Deneuve in sexy St Laurent (also a scene with her and Susan Sarandon in bed). This film takes place in NYC and reminds me of my childhood. Last year's AHS ripped everything off from this film including opening with Bauhaus' Bela Lugosi's dead. I know, I know, not a ripoff an homage.

As a side not, just watched a bunch of the old Chris Lee vamp films from the 60's and 70's and they are still OK.

If you want runners up, I would say Universal's Dracula with Bela Lugosi (to me the pacing is debilitating), Near Dark from the 80's (for gratuitous violence and a aliens cast reunion, pretty much), Lost Boys (ditto but problem with this one is it is silly).

Now that was easy. Ask about werewolf or mummy movies and the list will be smaller.
Censored.
For me the biggest flaw in Tarantino's films is that he makes them bad on purpose. Somehow he seems to believe that the old B-film cult classics were loved because they were bad and cheesy, not despite of them being flawed. His earlier films weren't shitty copies of old B-movies and they worked pretty well but nowadays he's just wasting his talents (though Hateful Eight was kind of OK).

So in short Tarantino is a gifted director who's unable to take his art seriously and thus his films end up being technically beautiful but dull and empty jokes.

"
kolyaboo wrote:
Shadow of the Vampire. Most creative premise if nothing else.

One of the films I forgot to mention. Pretty good.

"
All Bloodspecies movies if you're into cheesy, they're great, but also if you are into vamps before they got lace and turned into sex objects. The story of Full Moon Studios is maybe worth a film in itself, though it would most likely be a short. LOL

Are you referring to Subspecies? I think I've seen one of them and it was like a gothic rock music video - vampires posing for the camera in all sorts of threatening/majestic poses with almost no content at all. And before vampires turned into sex object? You must have missed the old lesbian vampire films by Hammer starring Ingrid Pitt.

"
Now that was easy. Ask about werewolf or mummy movies and the list will be smaller.

Not that much in to mummies myself but good werewolf films from the top of my head:

The Company of Wolves
The Howling (at least the first, haven't seen sequels in ages)
Ginger Snaps (whole series is good actually)
Dog Soldiers

I don't really like the old b&w werewolf films that much (the whole gypsy curse thing doesn't appeal to me).
Last edited by kuukkeli on Nov 4, 2016, 4:54:30 PM
Sorry to interrupt the conversation and I'm not saying I have any worth in regards to Tarantino's success, however... I do hate all his movies, I seriously can't stand him nor his work, never did, never will.

When I went to see Kill Bill vol 1 in cinema, I almost cried hoping it would end sooner, each scene made me "cringe", like I felt anxiety or something, it was just painful to watch...

I dunno how else to put it... I don't care whether there is blood/gore or not, it's just that his movies are honestly horrible.

I think he tries too hard to make them unique and also tries to make them bad, he's what some people call an art f*g in some sense.
Last edited by bl00dengel on Nov 4, 2016, 9:30:31 PM
"
You must have missed the old lesbian vampire films by Hammer starring Ingrid Pitt

No, I didn't. I forgot about them.

Dog Soldiers. Best damn werewolf movie I've seen (missed Ginger Snaps).
Censored.
Thanks again, guys. I'm watching Lost Boys (first time!). It's silly but entertaining.

I did watch Interview with a Vampire about 20 years ago, and found it both incoherent and boring. I figure I'll give it another try if I ever get around to reading Anne Rice and actually enjoy her stuff. (I've heard that the movie is much more coherent and enjoyable if you already read the book. That's usually an indicator of a decent movie that's been edited really horribly in the cutting room.)
Wash your hands, Exile!
I never got why tarantino or whatever the name is, is so popular, it has never been anything special to me and i honestly just always found it "random", i never ever connected to it at best it was okay to me, just entirely nonexceptional. Also Dust till dawn is epic boring.

I think i have watched pretty much all vampire/werewolf movies i could ever get my hands on unless i suspected them to be utter garbage.

My favorites are underworld and blade movies i think, not many vampire movies can touch that in my mind, but don't think its the go-to standard vampire movies as they are more action movies - but then again just as i also play action-rpg over regular rpg's, i don't think that means its lesser or more superficial. Victor from underworld is probably the coolest vampire i have ever seen, and even though i really don't like one of the main characters, michael, i really love that movie. Of that underworld/blade type movies there is also as someone mentioned.. van helsing which can hold it's own.

I can't believe no one mentioned Bram stoker's Dracula, the classic from 1992. There is also another ultra classic. It's very much more an oldschool movies focused on characters and the acting is superb i saw glimpses of it only and it still is stuck in my mind as the best dracula acting i have seen, think it is the movie called Shadow of a Vampire, either that or the old one called nosferatu..but they are connected as the acting for the vampire in nosferatu is unique and top notch to say and the least, and shadow of a vampire is based on that acting.. hard to explain but i think its the Shadow of a Vampire that's the good one, but it's quite special and not for everyone.

Big ups for the byzantium recommendation, i've never seen that before and it was quite good!
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Nov 5, 2016, 5:22:38 AM
I was also surprised that no one mentioned Coppola's Dracula. I didn't because I don't like the director.
Censored.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info