[2.6] Sorith's Arctic Breath Shotgun Witch [Budget friendly & nice clear speed]

Introduction          

Read the stuff below before you even think about doing this build!

This build is a bit different than other builds you may have played.
It actually requires using your brain and a bit of tactical positioning.

Why Arctic Breath? I think It's a bit underestimated spell. It's not as powerful as those meta builds at the moment but I must say I really enjoy it. It's pretty fun to freeze and turn everything around you into pieces.

Most of the time you'll have to stay close to the bosses to make 100% of it. Ya, it sounds a bit risky, but I wouldn't say it really is a big problem.

With this skill running indoors maps is the best thing you can possibly wish for. Thanks to huge AoE/AoE Damage from shotgun effect and small rooms.

Anyway... If you're still interested in this creation of mine just scroll down and (I hope) enjoy.

Playstyle          

For clearing just use your normal setup(you can find it below).
Fighting bosses and stronger rares is a bit different. You need to get them close to some obstacles or walls, then drop Decoy Totem, get closer and smash them into pieces.

The only problem you can have are stationary/ranged bosses and rares. For that you can use swap weapon for high single target damage(this is recommended)

Check the Videos section for "Arctic Breath: How to Shotgun" for more.

Shotgun Mechanics          

Boss is usually hit by 3-5 explosions depending on distance -

Stats(level 78, 6-Links main & 5-Links swap)        

REMEMBER! Area Damage from passives/armor is not included in Arctic Breath Tooltip but it still increases the explosion damage! Also Hypothermia support gem damage when chilled is not included in Tooltip.

Offence 6L Arctic Breath Main - Herald of Ice + Flame Golem + Ice Golem

Offence 6L Arctic Breath Main - Herald of Ice + Flame Golem + Ice Golem + Pendulum of Destruction

Offence 5L Arctic Breath Swap - Herald of Ice + Flame Golem + Ice Golem

Offence 5L Arctic Breath Swap - Herald of Ice + Flame Golem + Ice Golem + Pendulum of Destruction

Defence

Gear(level 78)         

Why this staff? Cold focused, freeze chance, +1 to cold gem lvl. Also gives us ability to swap with another one for stationary targets. With 1h + shield this would be impossible.

Life, resists, AoE, AoE damage... What else do we need.

Amulet - http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Pandemonius
Blind, cold penetration, cold dmg...

More cold damage is nice, but what is even better? Life and mana leech! It syncs very well with Pendulum of Destruction.

For the second ring I was aiming for at least 50% more mana regeneration, high life and 45+ Dex. Additional energy shield would be nice too.

Again, some damage, resists and a bit of life leech.

OR

For the rest of stuff I was trying to get resists and life as high as possible. Also try to get helmet with +2 to minion gems level. It'll increase your golems life a lot.

IMPORTANT! If you have maxed resists without gloves you can switch them for "Winds of Change" gloves. It'll add you some damage and what is more important knockback effect to push bosses towards the walls/obstacles. I've just tested this and it works pretty well, just need to get a bit more fire/cold resist and I'll probably switch to "Winds of Change".

You can switch flasks as you like, this is just my setup. Atziri's Promise is cheap and good pick to boost damage and counter reflect a bit, you can swap this with Silver Flask. Or just grab 3rd life flask if you feel too squishy.

Ascendancy         

Elementalist
1. Shaper of Desolation(normal)
2. Pendulum of Destruction(cruel)
3. Liege of the Primordial(merciless)
4. Paragon of Calamity(uber)

I skipped Beacon of Ruin because I freeze with 1st hit anyway. This could be useful only for bosses when the freeze applied to white/magic monster is transfered on the boss. This type of freeze is also longer and will bypass boss freeze resist. Still, I think it's not worth it.

Gems        

Main Weapon for fast clearing - Arctic Breath > Spell Echo > Faster Projectiles > Greater Multiple Projectiles > Hypothermia > Controlled Destruction

Swap Weapon for stationary/ranged bosses/rares - Arctic Breath > Spell Echo > Faster Projectiles > Added Cold Damage > Controlled Destruction > Hypothermia/Added Chaos Damage

Helmet - Summon Flame Golem > Summon Ice Golem > Flame Dash > Faster Casting

Gloves - Curse on Hit > Orb of Storms > Frostbite > Decoy Totem

Boots - Herald of Ice > Arctic Armour > Clarity(lvl 8) > Enlighten

Chest 5-Link - Cast When Damage Taken(lvl 9) > Immortal Call(lvl 11) > Increased Duration(lvl 12) > Frost Wall(lvl 14)(remove for Uber Izaro 3rd fight) > Phase Run(lvl 1)

Chest 6th Socket - Portal/Enduring Cry/Vaal Grace/Vaal Hase, take your pick.

Bandits         

Normal - Help Oak for +40hp
Cruel - Kill All
Merciless - Kill All

Videos        

HOW TO: Arctic Breath Shotgun - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OMOJRIIj-Y

Normal/Magic/Rare Maps:
T8 Cemetery(rare) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=554UZwdE23w
T9 Graveyard(rare) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D70ODAvL7uU
T10 Underground River(rare) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFGJYUsLSGA

I usually stream when I play so feel free to join for 2-3min and see the build if you want.
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/the_sneaky_one

My other Builds         

Sorith's Arc Miner Shadow [Crit/Eva/Dodge][Budget friendly & nice clear speed]- https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1728912

Update #1 - 19.10.16
- Small change in the "Gear" section. Added "Winds of Change" gloves as alternate item if you have already maxed resists without wearing any gloves. This helps to push bosses towards wall, boosting shootgun effect.

Update #2 - 27.01.17
- Added HC version of skilltree.
Last edited by kierny on Jun 16, 2017, 1:32:36 PM
Last bumped on Aug 25, 2017, 10:08:37 AM
Going to build this in current HC Essence;
Wish me luck.
Good luck, remember to grab much more HP first.

Also switch golems to Stone Golem & Chaos Golem and try to put Enduring Cry somewhere.
Any suggestions as to whether or not I should use arctic breath pre-taryns or what would be ideal setup for leveling from 1-28 or 1-64?
I'm just firestorming/Ice Pulsing dual lifesprigs.
It'll shine when you grab Spell Echo & GMP, before that you can use Faster Casting + LMP if you want but I think it's better to stick with Freezing Pulse/Firestorm.
Hey there Kierny, Currently 68 in Essence HC and playing around with some gear. Trying to get res capped to run the winds of change!

So far so good, need to run chaos golem and play around more with itemization.
And I ripped shortly after due to rare box mobs spawning me making me unable to move.
Damn. I know your pain mate. That's why I always drop Decoy Totem and instantly use Flame Dash/Granite Flask after touching Strongbox. Especially before you grab nodes with "Chance to avoid interruption from stuns...".

But to be honest I'm more scared of Merci/Uber lab runs with my characters. Sadly it drops FPS like hell in some areas with tons of traps.

Anyway how was the build overall? Hope you enjoyed it those 68 levels a bit at least.
hey guys !

how do you get 2 golems ? I can't get those in same time !?

plz =)
"
mitenayo wrote:
hey guys !

how do you get 2 golems ? I can't get those in same time !?

plz =)

This build guide lists the ascendancies, and for the merciless pick he choose Liege of the Primordeal for +1 golems max. Consider it earlier if you want.
Hot Flashes: poeurl.com/bPZT
Balance: poeurl.com/btzp
Shocking EleHit: poeurl.com/bZXo

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info