Addicted?

I've been playing PoE for years - casually. It has always been my "go-to-game" when I have some hours to spare. Of course, I've had some "off periods", but I always came back.

But after the release of Atlas, I've been playing more than casually. But the last week, I had some days off because of autumn break in my country. Pretty strict with myself, trying to spend my breaks and vacations outside, on the mountain, with friends, whatever. But no matter where I go, I think "PoE".

Is this normal? Am I addicted? HEEEELP!
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on Oct 16, 2016, 5:27:24 AM
Last bumped on Oct 20, 2016, 5:05:50 PM
A good arpg will send your mind spinning with calculations of build ideas, variants and their cost/benefit. It's why it's my favorite genre. Recently got addicted to D3 again of all things, damn blizzcon subliminal messages.

To a degree shitty balance is actually a good thing in this regard as you'll have to try harder and think more to solve the challenge.
same thing ... came back after 2 years and now im stuck... @_@
"
Phrazz wrote:
Is this normal?

Yes and no. Its not only because of the game that you develop this kind of behaviour. It is a very intense form of eskapism. Its a sign to ask yourself why living the "regular" life poses such a burden that you feel the need to escape into Wraeclast.

I had the same shit from the age of 14 and still have it popping up randomly but very rarely. But only after i went through therapy and became older it got way better.
POE main feature is addicting the player... it wouldn't be a surprise.

I'm not complaining. But this game is clearly developed to keep you here like... forever. No where to go? Oh boy, you have, here.

I like it, seems innocent, but pretty malicious.
Sometimes...
Press red button to enable self control and control priorities.

Spoiler
Everybody i know is addicted, the main trick seems to be finding an addiction that you enjoy and isn't detrimental to your mental state and body.
Bonus points if your addiction benefits society.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
I do not understaand why you are so addicted after being "All dressed up with nowhere to go"...
No one can help you but yourself as long as you are in control.
Addiction is the luxury which you can afford and is only possible due to freedom you have and if someone takes away this freedom you will fight for it . Kinda ironic how the freedom we have is so destructive without a limiter :) It s like that ying yang thing keep it in balance.

There is no point in fighting an escape mechanism just limit it and lower your goals for joy derived .
chaotic neutral
Nobody can tell. Its usual when somebody likes something he thinks about that a lot. But if somebody is not handling things or loosing things due its new hobby/situation and from that hobby/situation he wont be able to be alive or is heading to fall, than its time to think about all other goals in life person wants to achieve.

I can recommend this: write on paper all goals you want to achieve in PoE. Than write how to achieve those goals and how many time and in what time schedule you want to achieve that. Also imagine all efforts you have to invest into it. With that you will see if that is going to make you happy or what feeling you are going to get. When you reach such a goal in PoE written on paper most probably you will start to play occasionally or just to check whats there only because it is or it was part of your life. The emptiness you going to meet (if you were really addicted), have to be fulfilled with new feelings. After realising such a thing you can take pen and paper again and write down what activities and when those are making you "you" and in what feelings you want to live. From that point your intuition will tell you what to do next.
Last edited by Rexeos on Oct 16, 2016, 10:51:10 AM
Playing a game because you enjoy it, or because you've set some goal isn't addiction. Addiction is when you have displaced some basic need in real life with activity in the game. If you play until you realize you haven't eaten in 48 hours... you're an addict. If you play because you feel you need to in order to continue living... you're an addict.

But just because you play a lot isn't always a sign of addiction. Maybe you just have too much time on your hands.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info