[2.4] I Prepared Explosive Arrows This Morning! This is a Buff.

Theme: John Frusciante - Ratiug

Video:
T15, Double Beyond, -Max Res

So how does Explosive Arrow work?
Spoiler
Explosive Arrow is a Fire, Attack, AoE, Duration, Bow skill.
That means it's an Attack, not a spell, with a Bow. Attack Speed affects it, and Attack Speed with Bows.
Duration applies to the Buff EA places on enemies - reduce it's Duration, it goes BOOM sooner.
AoE means it's affected by Area of Effect increases and reduction, and by Area Damage modifiers.

Now, as for damage:
Explosive Arrow's arrows don't do any damage that matters except to trigger Elemental Equilibrium (with Flat Cold/Lightning from gear).
The BOOM is affected by Area/Projectile/Fire damage modifiers, as well as Global Damage modifiers.

For area clear, that's all you really need to know.
For single-target, you can rely on 1 of 2 options:
1) Shotgun Mechanics!
Enemies that stand next to a wall can get hit multiple times each shot if you use GMP. That can drastically increase the damage output.
2) Ignite!
The method I usually use. Almost all the modifiers that apply to the BOOM apply AGAIN to the Ignite, leading to MASSIVE DAMAGE. The way Ignite works, you trigger it when you deal a Critical Hit, or if you have Chance to Ignite - the first is harder to scale on this build, but you have some, the second you have from Quality on the EA gem, and the Chance to Ignite support gem, as well as some Unique items I'll go over later. Being an Elementalist with Conflux means you Ignite reliably without any of those, however.

Fire Resist lowers the damage of EA, and AGAIN on the Ignite, so it's important to lower that. Elemental Equilibrium takes care of that nicely, along with the Fire Penetration gem. Simply make sure your arrows deal Cold or Lightning damage, and you're golden, tap and BOOM and tap again :). Use Flammability if you feel you need even more of this, but be aware this rarely works in parties.

My stats (level 95):
Life = 10024
Regen = 1223 / sec
Capped for Elem Weakness
Accuracy = 2093 (88%)
Critical Chance = 11.05% (for Elemental Overload, and also Ignites)
Attacks per sec = 4.31 on GMP, 5.65 on Faster Attacks
Increased Damage = +657% (+697% with Flask)
More Damage = +28% / +40% / +20% / +30% / +60% / Elemental Equilibrium / Flammability / Fire Penetration / Shock

Now, I have REALLY good gear. It doesn't take anything close to this to get good clear speed, but the more money you throw at the problem... Don't be afraid to try EA with worse gear, I slowly upgraded over time.

Every decent EA build clears more or less instantly, it's the Single Target that's the issue for some. Well, not a problem!

Single Target Damage Calculation:
Spoiler

820 * 5 = 4100 avg Base
657% Increased / 697% with The Overflowing Chalice
28% More (7 Frenzy)
40% More (Elemental Overload)
50% More (Shock from Vaal Lightning Trap or Conflux)
88% More (Fire Penetration 21 + Equilibrium)
20% more (Less Duration 21)
30% more (Slower Projectiles 21)
60% more (Concentrated Effect 21)
---
391482 / 412168 Boom!

Ignite:
80% of the Boom Damage over 4 Seconds as Base Damage
657% Increased / 697% with The Overflowing Chalice
28% More (7 Frenzy)
40% More (Elemental Overload)
50% More (Shock from Vaal Lightning Trap or Conflux)
50% More (Equilibrium)
20% more (Less Duration 21)
30% more (Slower Projectiles 21)
60% more (Concentrated Effect 21)
---
23859579 / 26447662 Ignite (over 4 seconds)

Under optimal conditions, no Fire Res, etc, that means around 5+ Mil DPS single-target. Realistically, this is often less, but still more than enough!
I also assumed you don't have a Flammability on, due to party-play.

Links (by order of importance, generally):
6L (Clearing): EA / GMP / Less Duration / Fire Pen / Increased AoE / Slower Proj
6L (Boss): EA / Conc Effect / Less Duration / Fire Pen / Slower Proj / Faster Attacks
4L: CwDT 20 / Flame Golem 20 / Ice Golem 20 / Flammability 20 or Molten Shell 20
4L: CwDT 3 / Immortal Call 5 / Increased Duration / Vaal Lightning Trap
4L: Blink Arrow / Frenzy / Decoy Totem / Enduring Cry or Flammability

Other options for links are Frost Wall on CwDT, a Curse on Hit Setup for Flammability, Orb of Storms for Equilibrium...

Gear:
Spoiler

or (as needed)

Flasks:

Off-hand (Whirling Blades):

Can also one of the other 30% Attack Speed uniques and move just as fast.

Jewels:

Elemental Reflect Mode:

I still need to make one with 40%+ Fire Res to overcap for Ele Weak, atm I'll be missing 9 Fire Res then, but on a Reflect map that's still better than not using the quiver.
Along with the Ascendancy points, you have 50+10+30 = 90% Reduced Elemental Reflect Damage Taken.
Now, you make these using:

Enchant-wise, Flame Golem Effect / Ice Golem Effect / EA Attack Speed / EA AoE are best. EA Damage is terrible, since it doesn't double-dip for Ignite, unlike the Flame Golem.
Boots you want Life Leech, Life Regen, or +1 Frenzy, depending on whether you have Leech from your Ascendancy or not and your damage (0.2% might be enough).
Gloves you want "of Spite" / "of Light" / "of Reflection".

Corrupt-wise, 0.2% Fire Leech or +1 Arrow on Quiver, 0.2% Fire Leech or +1 Frenzy on Amulet.
If you're insanely rich, +1% Max Res on Kaom's Heart, 0.2% Leech or +1 Arrow on Quill Rain. If you somehow get +2 projectiles, you can remove GMP in favour of Empower 4, for example...
If you get a +1 Curse amulet, it's certainly an option for boss fights, using Flammability + Elemental Weakness.

Some people go with another Quill Rain or a +3 bow in the off-hand to avoid swapping gems, and this is quite viable, if expensive. I'd use Empower on a +3 bow instead of Faster Attacks if I did that. There's no need for this, but it's quite possible.

It's quite possible to use a combo of Mokou's Embrace + Eye of Innocence for 2% Leech, Damage, Attack Speed, and 20% Chance to Ignite. As a Witch, that even add 40% Increased Fire Damage on top, due to Paragon of Calamity (from the Ascendancy). I'm not a fan of losing Life on 2 items, but it's quite possible, and not a terrible idea.
It's trading Life on 2 items for 2% Leech, 20% Chance to Ignite, 20% Attack Speed, and maybe a bit of damage (depends on the ring / class).

If you go crit, an amulet and rings with crit are better.
If you go with Acrobatics, you'll want the +% Dodge Gear (Boots/Amulet/Chest, at least some of them).
If you want more move speed, get Devoto's Devotion and lose some defences and Elemental Overload reliability.
If you have enough Attack Speed (Raider, for example), a different Helmet Enchant is better.
If you went with CI, ES gear is best obviously, and you'll be using Soul Strike as a Quiver.
If you can get/make decently rolled Opal Rings, they are BiS for EA.
If you're a Pathfinder, the Dying Sun is BiS, and may well allow you to get rid of GMP in favour of something like Chance to Ignite / Empower / Increased AoE.
Link-wise, if you're not a Witch (or possibly a Pathfinder), you'll not be able to clear well with Concentrated Effect, so you'll only use that for Single-target usually.
If you want to go Full Glass Cannon mode, grab the max Grand Spectrum Jewels and go Berserker, you'll end up with hundreds of millions of DPS and a very different playstyle.

Jewels:
Life/ES + 1/2 Damage mods + Relevant Resistance as needed.
Fire/Area/Projectile/Damage are the best damage mods, the Fire rolls highest, the Damage rolls lowest.
Second tier damage mods are the various Attack Speed ones. You prefer actual damage mods since they double-dip with Ignite.

Trees / Bandits:
Spoiler

Bandits are Oak (Life) / Kraytin (8% Attack Speed) or Kill All (Point) / Kraytin (Frenzy)

Very many builds are viable. You can do BM, you can do MoM, you can do Acro, you can even do CI. I'll list a few.
The one I'm doing atm is a Life BM Elementalist Witch, which I believe to be the most well rounded, and has the best clear speed once you have good gear (Proliferation OP).

I went with Conflux first, then Proliferation, then Golems, then Reflect Resistance. In terms of leveling, I was Firestorm until level 50 or so, but it really depends on what gear you have - you can switch to EA as soon as you have Blood Magic and enough Regen+Life. Leveling order depends on what skill you're leveling with...

Elementalist brings reliability to the table with Elemental Conflux, Proliferation, Extra Golem Effect (Crit + Accuracy), and relies on gear less for Resists and damage.
Berserker has excellent sustain with the War Cry ability and overall best damage if he Ignites (less reliable), and is squishier.
Champion is the best in terms or Life/Damage balance, beating Witch in both eventually, and coming close to Berserker since he can give up Life for Damage without much loss, but draws Agro and has less reliable Ignite.
Raider is Clear Speed, with very high Effective Life (Acro + Life).
Pathfinder is Clear Speed, can use flasks for Block, AoE + 3 Projectiles, Move Speed, Armor, Max Resist, and all the other flask OPness that GGG has chosen to allow... for now.

CI builds get to use Soul Strike and win the game if they have enough ES.

I've listed a few other niche EA builds I've seen work or have tried. Most rely on Ignite nowadays to work their single-target magic, but not all.

BM Elementalist (My Current)

BM Chieftain

BM Duelist

BM Berserker

BM Pathfinder

BM Acrobatics Raider

Crit Acrobatics Mana Assassin

CI Elementalist/Occultist

MoM Pathfinder

MoM Berserker

Grand Spectrum BM Acrobatics Vaal Pact Berserker

Credits:
Art = CeruleanRaven
Music = The Great John Frusciante
[3.22] 💀The Grim Reaper💀 - Hexblast Poison Mines Assassin
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3347191

[3.22] ❄️⚡CantripN's Hadoken! - Lightning Conduit / Crackling Lance / Arc Permafreeze⚡❄️
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3229590
Last edited by CantripN on Oct 14, 2016, 2:29:19 PM
Last bumped on Aug 2, 2017, 1:51:28 PM
Reserved. Started to build it a few days ago, work god damn well even at low level, gotta love this ! Btw, I just noticed that you're the same that share the EK Poison build, that I used in proph, was really cool to play aswell, gotta love your way of playing :D !
Done updating. Will go more into the exact mechanics and how they work exactly later.

[3.22] ❄️⚡CantripN's Hadoken! - Lightning Conduit / Crackling Lance / Arc Permafreeze⚡❄️
Thank you for contacting me online and guiding me to your build. I made my EA witch 2 days ago and I really enjoy playing it, so I'm still figuring stuff out. I have two questions for you.

I don´t understand were this numbers come from when talking about the ignite damage; "547% Increased / 587% with The Overflowing Chalice". Doesn't the flask only give us 40% increased damage?

What do you think about dropping the Blood Dance boots and and use
corrupted with "Elemental Weakness on Hit". Since they are fairly cheap, its not a big deal to corrupt.

We get/lose:
+ 50% increased explosion & ignite damage
+ Reliable -31% fire resistance debuff on hit
+ 60 to max life
- Frezy charges on kill
- 3% Life regen at 6 frenzy stacks
Last edited by Daloco on Oct 2, 2016, 3:24:54 PM
Those gloves are certainly an option. Thing is, you need the Resist from something, and those also lower Movement Speed... Not easy to use as EA, though I'd certainly include a max roll with Ele Weak on Hit if I had one.

The Blood Dance are far too much damage to drop, in my opinion. With 5 Charges, it's 20% MORE Damage for the Boom and 44% MORE on the Ignite (in total). And there's the DEX... The regen is quite amazing, as well. If you have the patience to use Frenzy manually every 10 seconds, go ahead and skip them, though.

As for your math, you lose a LOT more than that, as you also lose Rare Gloves with stats. Life and Resists are not useless. The 50% Increased from Winds of Change is a rather large boost to damage, but nothing close to 5-6 Frenzy Charges.

As for Increased Damage, most of mine comes from the Jewels, the Tree, Elementalist, q20 gems, and my gear. The Flask just adds another 40% sometimes.

Last edited by CantripN on Oct 2, 2016, 3:45:00 PM
Loving this so far, got every key item except the kaoms and using wyrmsign instead of a 6link bow because i do not have one yet. Will do gear progression later. Great build!

Any chances t16 Boss vids etc being uploaded? Trying to justify selling off my Grand Spectrums for a new build but wouldn't mind continuing Explosive Arrow if there's one that can actually do the harder content.
IGN shdowe
"
shdowe wrote:
Any chances t16 Boss vids etc being uploaded? Trying to justify selling off my Grand Spectrums for a new build but wouldn't mind continuing Explosive Arrow if there's one that can actually do the harder content.

I've only done Minotaur myself, but that wasn't too hard once you understand the mechanics. The others I've yet to try. No chance of my PC being able to record at over 10 FPS play for me, so that's a no, sadly.

Look, you've seen Pathfinder EA do Shaper with worse damage and defences than mine, and easily, so that one's just a test of skill. The other Guardians I assume are doable, with Phoenix being really annoying since you can't Ignite him. All other content except Uber Atziri I've done, including Vaal Temple which was easy.

Grand Spectrum is quite viable, you just need 13-14 to justify doing it, and you should probably be a Champion to not be a Glass Cannon. Those 2 below do roughly x5-6 my Ignite damage with the same gear/links (assuming they Ignite).
For example:

Last edited by CantripN on Oct 2, 2016, 8:11:46 PM
Probably true that I'm terrible at this game. Thanks for highlighting that.

This build has been great, and is my first attempt at EA. Appreciate you sharing the guide (and taking time to write it) after having invited you to a random map after a random conversation in town concerning MTX.

From my (filthy casual) perspective:

PROS:
Clear speed better than any build I have previously played.
Witch looks adorable in a Devoto's and heavy armor.
S'PLOSIONS!
Ability to 'stick' and move on bosses.

CONS:
Had to reference other guides to get a grasp on EA mechanics.
I am TERRIBLE at boss fights! This compounds with lack of understanding of EA to feel(s)badman.
%max life jewels are expensive

Starting this build I went EA at lvl 28, and bee-lined to bloodmagic. Felt pretty bad at first dropping down to around 50% life while firing off crazy expensive EA's (5 link Quill Rain!). That being said, I picked up a LOT of life on the way, so 50% of 2000 something at level 50ish was still adequate to stay alive. Still had to phone a friend for help on some bosses while leveling.

I'm lvl 71 now, and struggling with merciless Izaro. So far I have liege of the primordial and the reduced reflect ascendancy nodes. The Izaro fight always gives me trouble anyway, but with Conc Effect, Slower Proj, Fire Pen, and less duration on the 5-link I have trouble DPS'ing him down much between the random crap that kills me.

I need to invest serious currency into jewels, and I have taken to alt spamming for that 7% life and hoping for a decent suffix to match it...and then maybe by some small chance hitting a decent regal. Seems like my regen is at a point now where I'm not killing myself with five volleys of EA, but gets a bit boring to me when the only thing left on the tree is to peck away at the 5% life nodes.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing.

Be nice!

"
Boneheaded wrote:

Starting this build I went EA at lvl 28, and bee-lined to bloodmagic.

that's too early. i went EA at about lvl 55 and then it felt good. (after a bit cruel dried lake farming)

"
Boneheaded wrote:
So far I have liege of the primordial and the reduced reflect ascendancy nodes. The Izaro fight always gives me trouble anyway, but with Conc Effect, Slower Proj, Fire Pen, and less duration on the 5-link I have trouble DPS'ing him down much between the random crap that kills me.

I think you took the wrong nodes. I went Shaper Of Desolation first, followed by beacon of ruin (prolif) that's where your aoe damage goes wild. also keep in mind that EA damage increases a lot by the gem level, so maybe go for some dried lake first (which is incredibly fast with prolif ascendancy node)

I'm currently level 72 and it was a blast so far. killed myself about 5 times to ele reflect, but that's obviously my fault. got the reflect ascendancy now, and that's a thing of the past.
the killspeed is incredible though. can't wait to get to the endgame, great guide! strongest build i've played so far.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info