R.I.P. [2.6] Explosive Arrow - Elementalist Build Guide (multi class + version, in depth theory)

Leveling info is right at start. Check "Leveling the Elementalist" spoiler.

If you are not too far in I would just run the Champion. Otherwise yeah you have to know that you don't have too much evasion and armour. Your defenses are somewhat limited. Definitely get Rearguard as that provides some defenses. The build is quite tanky but all it takes is 1 death so... be alert at all times.

Reflect will not be a problem after you get Paragon of Calamity.

As for the gear I suggest you equip all rare gear (with life) until you can get Devoto and Kaoms. Be careful until you get Kaoms especially. Get as much life and life regen you can. Explosive arrow mostly scales on the gem level. Try to use as high level EA as possible. Always be capped in elemental resist! Note that for elemental weakness you need to have 170 rez in hideout (for red maps)!

Maybe you can skip the Winds of change to get gloves with more life and resist. Optionally also accuracy rating and attack speed. This will make your gear requirements much lower, thus much cheaper. Don't use the new base gloves (Gripped Gloves) as that implicit doesn't double dip. Instead use evasion, armour or hybrid base gloves. Be ware of the colors you need on gear! Doryani's invitation is great but maybe you could try get a rare leather or Vanguard Belt belt instead for better survivability.

You absolutely need a devoto due to dex requirements later on. And I suggest to relly on the explosions as some things can't be ignited.

I will try to update the new tree that relies on explosions asap. I haven't fully compared yet. I have 2 options. And wen i decide what's best ill publish it.
Greengroove's Loot Filter Scripts: poeurl.com/OMs
Thanks for the guide mate! You did really good work.
Last edited by Fitfirar on Sep 16, 2016, 1:15:41 AM
"
Greengroove wrote:
Leveling info is right at start. Check "Leveling the Elementalist" spoiler.

If you are not too far in I would just run the Champion. Otherwise yeah you have to know that you don't have too much evasion and armour. Your defenses are somewhat limited. Definitely get Rearguard as that provides some defenses. The build is quite tanky but all it takes is 1 death so... be alert at all times.

Reflect will not be a problem after you get Paragon of Calamity.

As for the gear I suggest you equip all rare gear (with life) until you can get Devoto and Kaoms. Be careful until you get Kaoms especially. Get as much life and life regen you can. Explosive arrow mostly scales on the gem level. Try to use as high level EA as possible. Always be capped in elemental resist! Note that for elemental weakness you need to have 170 rez in hideout (for red maps)!

Maybe you can skip the Winds of change to get gloves with more life and resist. Optionally also accuracy rating and attack speed. This will make your gear requirements much lower, thus much cheaper. Don't use the new base gloves (Gripped Gloves) as that implicit doesn't double dip. Instead use evasion, armour or hybrid base gloves. Be ware of the colors you need on gear! Doryani's invitation is great but maybe you could try get a rare leather or Vanguard Belt belt instead for better survivability.

You absolutely need a devoto due to dex requirements later on. And I suggest to relly on the explosions as some things can't be ignited.

I will try to update the new tree that relies on explosions asap. I haven't fully compared yet. I have 2 options. And wen i decide what's best ill publish it.

Thanks for the aoe explosion tree! I'm about to respec my fireball elementalist soon (still trying to get enough regrets, oh how appropriately they are named lol) but I'm having trouble deciding between the two trees you posted. Here are the pros and cons as I see them:

Burning:

- great single target (unless the boss is immune)
- can work with LMP or even without any due to prolif
- pretty good health regen
- doesn't work as well in groups due to higher target health

Aoe:

- a bit more total damage
- better explosion aoe (doh)
- much lower health regen

At the moment I only have a 5L quill and no +1 arrow quiver yet so I thought about using the burning tree and using EA + Fire Pen + LMP + Chance to Ignite + Less Duration. Alternatively I could drop LMP for Slower Proj and hope that prolif can carry the clear speed but I don't know, I'd have to test it first. I don't want to give up LD because it's a pretty big QoL boost though. With your burning tree I'd also drop one gem slot and go for the frenzy charge and wear Blood Dance for even more regen.

Thoughts?
I'd say to not drop LMP in fact I still think GMP is better for clear speed. Definitely drop reduced duration.

As for the build to go for I can't say. I like the burn. When it works it works great. When it doesn't well... I am currently testing the explosive on with Champion and the burning one with elementalist.

Maybe throw a dice?

In other news:

I am working on a Berserker tree and just today I have talked with a Pathfinder EA character. After the talk we had I realized that Pathfinder can also be very much viable. But potentially more expensive to gear up.

I might write up on those as I get more definite info.

A good flask I have neglected to mention until now is also Dying Sun.
Last edited by Greengroove on Sep 16, 2016, 3:08:24 PM
Good day sir, i just decided to vaal my Rearguard and got dis boy

This Rearguard is getting my cold and lightning res to a point where its capped and also has really good hp roll, so what i want now is to keep that quiver and pick up some unique boots because i can swap my rares. For now my eye is on Atziri's step, but im sure that Voidwalker or Blood Dance would also be a decent option. I just dont know if i can lack some defence tho, and also dont know if rare boots/not vaaled Rearguard is better than what i want (a bit more life but my cold res will drop to ~71%). You can also check my gear (don't pay attention to my links, i'm currnently changing them right now):
Spoiler

Right now im testing some runs with atziri's step, feels a bit safer. I'd be happy if you'd answer about other options on my boots.

P.S.: in plans to swap my crit ring for max hp and fire res and leveling 24/7 cause not even 19 gems.
P.S.S.: sorry for my englando;
P.S.S.S.: build is pretty neat,
/played 14 hours, 51 minutes and 71 lvl
/deaths 0 (in sc lol)

Also about build variation: im playing as elementalist with tree that relies on explosions, oneshotting every white/magic packs/squishy rare trash. As i mentioned, those variations are not that improtant, right? Because even if i went through the path of explotions i'm still doing a lot of damage with ignite and burning mechanics. Maybe it is because i was excepting for some more difference, but w/e.
Last edited by Fitfirar on Sep 17, 2016, 6:32:56 AM
Please note that you don't get any benefit from 40% WED on quiver. I strongly suggest you get your resist capped in another way and get another Rearguard. The boots are one of the few spots where you can get a lot of resist. I have reviewed a few EA builds in the last few days. I have concluded that none of the boots you mention are really worth it for EA. You don't want pierce at all. As for Atziri step I think they are awesome - go to boots for a Ranger. But I am sure at this point that for now rares are the best in slot for EA. Especially the new two toned boots.

I think you can keep the quiver for a while but eventually a Rearguard will be better as it gives you defenses and double dipping damage. Also note that a Rearguard gives more defenses than Atziri's step. The diamond ring is nice but you only need about 10% - 15% crit. chance. Instead the new Opal rings are the best in slot rings.

Personally I love dot mechanics. That's why I decided to go and test ignite. Like I mentioned many times the explosion path is somewhat "safer" because it will work better when the burn gets hindered.

I think you will do just fine ;)
I've been playing a modified version of your explosive build for the last day or so and I love it. The reason I'm using modified is because I was stingy with regrets and decided to keep Heart of Flame branch instead of going for Celestial Judgement (+ eventually jewel slot).

I did have to slot in Vitality instead of PoF though, there's just not enough regen in this version without it. I plan to make a switch to the burning version as soon as I get enough regrets + last 2 points from uber lab.

I'm also using Shaper of Desolation (again, stingy with regrets :D) instead of Paragon of Calamity - at my gear and skill gem level reflect isn't a problem...yet. If it turns out to be I'll probably pick it but right now I enjoy having bursts of damage that Shaper provides.
Last edited by Bawtzki on Sep 18, 2016, 5:37:45 AM
Interested in running the build (going with a focus on burn) and I'm wondering if you think a single-target weapon/gem swap is eventually going to be necessary for bosses? the idea of needing a second bow on swap is a bit discouraging.
Last edited by b3r5andon on Sep 18, 2016, 8:12:55 AM
@Bawtzki I think you should do whatever you want with the tree. Customizing and theory crafting is part of the fun! I guess you could even try to go for Mastermind of discord. Just drop down an orb of storms on the boss and you'll have +25% of fire pen! With the extra damage you get you might even try and use a prolif. gem if you want prolif... The gem gives a substantially bigger aoe.

I am also going to also try out this route myself but probably without the prolif gem. That might be a bit silly but nevertheless I mentioned it.

I should mention that Paragon of Calamity can give you a 40% of damage increase if you get hit by fire damage and you get the 8% of elemental damage reduction. The node is quite powerful!

@Oyabug A weapon swap can be very helpful but I think it will only be needed on the very top maps. Maybe a swap of GMP / LMP / Culling strike (on boss if it has no ads) or chance to ignite / Elemental Focus (for the immune to burn maps) is enough. For now I only have the 1 5 link bow. I will get another one when I get the gear tho. I think a 6 link for bosses and a 5 link is enough for maps clearing.

I revived a Berserker yesterday and did my Zana daily and a few low maps. It shows great promise! I will do further testing today. Run the uber lab for my last points. I'll try to upload some videos. But I think that might be a better option for the toughest bosses. This guy has insane leech. On the easier maps I don't even need flasks. He can potentially even do ele reflect maps (theory not tested).

Pathfinder has already done the guardians and the Shaper. I have a suspicion that both these 2 builds will work much better than a witch or even Champion for this content. They both get much better use of their flasks and flasks are essential for longer fights.

That being said they don't have prolif. I think the Elementalist will be much more fun if you don't plan to do the guardians or Core map,...

I provide some more info about those two on the bottom in the "Notes" spoiler next to links.

peace
So would you recommend a berserker or an elementalist for someone who haven't done EA in the past, on a budget?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info