What exactly is the point of shaper's orbs?

From what I've heard (both official and unofficial information), they will make the shaped map five tiers higher for all intents and purposes. A shaped T10 map will now be T15, it will require running T13+ maps to obtain and items from it will be level 82+. So what is the point? I can think of two alternatives:

1. Pure cosmetic fluff. You get to take a few of your favorite maps from lower tiers with you as you advance through the tiers. There will be zero effect on gameplay.

2. GGG is intentionally making high-tier maps with inferior layouts so that players will want to shape the better maps from lower tiers. This goes against what they said about balancing the maps, so I'm leaning towards option 1.
Last bumped on Aug 28, 2016, 11:55:15 AM
You're kind of right, but the one thing that you missed is that now there will be some base items that only drop in specific maps, so one benefit of shapers orbs is that they may be the only way to get certain base items with a high item level.

I realize that's pretty niche though.
They don't "make maps higher tier". They allow a higher tier version of the map to drop for you. Very different thing. And we need to stop calling them orbs. They function as quest items. They can't be traded. You get one at a given tier and can't get one again unless you respec. Sounds like a quest item.

Yes, I know GGG has called them orbs. That was a mistake and I don't like to repeat other people's mistakes.
Last edited by Shagsbeard on Aug 27, 2016, 8:08:13 AM
GGG calls them shaper's orbs, so I will too.

Whether they make a T10 map into a T15 map or stop the T10 maps from dropping and allow the T15 map to drop instead is ephemeral. The question was about the benefit of using a shaper's orb.

The map-specific items are a good point and indeed I had forgotten that.
"
databeaver wrote:
So what is the point?

vv this is the point vv

"
databeaver wrote:
A shaped T10 map will now be T15, it will require running T13+ maps to obtain and items from it will be level 82+.

It's worth noting that you'll also be getting Shaper's Orbs for maps below tier 10. Those're the most interesting to me, because as you said, making a tier 10 into tier 15 just makes it rare. However, turning a t5 into a t10 simply makes that map more useful.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Aug 27, 2016, 7:45:39 AM
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
vv this is the point vv

"
databeaver wrote:
A shaped T10 map will now be T15, it will require running T13+ maps to obtain and items from it will be level 82+.

"
Vipermagi wrote:
It's worth noting that you'll also be getting Shaper's Orbs for maps below tier 10. Those're the most interesting to me, because as you said, making a tier 10 into tier 15 just makes it rare. However, turning a t5 into a t10 simply makes that map more useful.

Right, but why are the shaped maps any better than the maps that were already that tier? What incentive is there to use shaper's orbs at all? Map-specific items are one reason, are there others?
"
Vipermagi wrote:

Please listen. You don't make a tier X into a tier X+5. You allow a X+5 version of the map to drop. That doesn't mean the X version can't drop too. It doesn't affect rarity. It doesn't make it more useful. It only allows a higher version to drop for you.
"
databeaver wrote:
Right, but why are the shaped maps any better than the maps that were already that tier? What incentive is there to use shaper's orbs at all? Map-specific items are one reason, are there others?

They might have layouts you prefer over the available set. The main theme behind the Atlas of Worlds is shaping (HEH) your own end-game mapping experience, after all.

-----
@Shags; if you're going to be condescending like that, at least be right.
"When a map on the Atlas has been Shaped, it doesn't change any of the existing maps you own. However, Shaped versions of that map will now start dropping. Unshaped versions will not drop for you any more."
Higher tier maps are more rare than lower tier maps.

With 'more useful', I mean that a tier 5 map is relatively worthless to run when you're trying to hit ninety, but a tier 10 is still quite fine. The additional area levels might also push the item drops over to a new affix tier. Hence, more useful.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Aug 27, 2016, 7:59:23 AM
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Please listen. You don't make a tier X into a tier X+5. You allow a X+5 version of the map to drop. That doesn't mean the X version can't drop too. It doesn't affect rarity. It doesn't make it more useful. It only allows a higher version to drop for you.

A shaped map doesn't drop as original anymore, but only as +5 tier version. If you shape a T10, it will only drop in T13+ content.

The purpose of shaper orb is to upgrade a tileset/layout you like, to a higher tier. So when you are playing in T12/T13, get bored of them and would like to play some Dry Peninsula, you shape it, so it will drop as tier appropriate for your char level.

We've been asking for means to play tileset/layout independent of tier. Shaper orb is the answer to that.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Aug 27, 2016, 8:03:28 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info