Race Event Season One announced!

The Rewards are fairly lackluster.. honestly won't be spending much time in the events.. :(
I'm a bit disappointed by the rewards.

It's kind of what I feared would happen: you made it so the top players, who are already at a big advantage in the game, win more, while ditching all incentive for casual players like me who are not extremely competitive.

In earlier races, I could place only level 14 in a three hour race and still earn some currencies. It was perfect for casual players.

Besides that these uniques are pretty worthless to me. They are all designed with the same concept of having very specific uses for those players who understand deeply the mechanics and see how to "exploit" them. Redbeak is probably one of the worst examples. That's more of an issue I have with the design of the unique items in general and not specifically with the race rewards, but I am surprised nonethelss that you chose such gimmicky items as rewards.

So pretty much for casual players there is nothing of value. They don't know how to "exploit" items like Redbeak and even if they do, the uses are fairly limited and specific. There is no minimum threshold in any single race to look forward to, save for being able to say "I completed the race". Whereas before I saw that if I reached only level 14 or so, I could already earn a few random currencies.

Also I don't buy the argument about the currencies. Rich people are rich anyway. Instead of giving the top winner of each race exalts or regals or what not you could have scaled down the currencies greatly, and maintained them along side with the events- and season-wide rewards so that casuals player can earn something out of any single race. Even if a 1h race only earned me a few chromatics or a couple fusings that would have been a motivation for me, because it adds up to the other lucky finds you may have during the race.

Also you're not very clear in the post regarding the unique items appearance. Are they really just unique *icons* (2D Art) or appearances? Icons are pretty pointless to me. I love the artwork but it is no incentive. The unique wreath I am guessing is a unique *appearance* item, but that item will only ever be won by the very best players since now there are even more participants... and hence casual players will also not have any chance whatsoever of ever getting one (which is fine... except as I pointed out, there is nothing else of value for casual players).
Last edited by DeF46 on Feb 20, 2013, 4:11:35 AM
Awesome stuff! Looking forward to it!
Build of the Week 14
The first Righteous Fire/Non-Shavronne's/Shavronne's HC
Shameless self-proclaimed theory-crafting extraordinaire and forum crusader
Sorry, but those prizes are mediocre at best. Wanderlust is the only decent unique there. And I've lost all interest in racing. You should have this system in place ON TOP of the old, people should still be rewarded currencies, it's a far better incentive than a unique you will never use, and it means people who will only play e few races actually get something for it. I mean, I have nothing better to do anyway so I will probably end up playing them alot, but still, the rewards are complete shit.
Last edited by oBLACKIECHANo on Feb 20, 2013, 4:12:59 AM
Do all the races have standard rules?

I was hoping for something akin to maps where in one race all bosses appeared in pairs, in another monsters hit twice as hard etc. etc. That would make me play races full time. :)
Awesome.
"
TwiiK wrote:
Do all the races have standard rules?

I was hoping for something akin to maps where in one race all bosses appeared in pairs, in another monsters hit twice as hard etc. etc. That would make me play races full time. :)

Now i like this idea, make each race very special, i guess they want to keep that for the payed leagues you can create later though where you can customize things. >
I would really like to see currency prices.
Having guaranteed "orb drops", for reaching certain goals would be huge boost for my wish to participate.

--== Enjoying the game ==--
Can you scour uniques? And if you can, will these special appearance uniques keep the appearance?
The races in beta was a ton of fun, as you're chance to win versus players that play 12+ hours a day were slim but still fun. The currency was the incentive to give it your best shot.

Now honestly your earning is for uniques that no one uses outside of wanderlust / coral ring.

I really really hope GGG brings back beta format or at the very least makes the races more interesting by having strange mods / double bosses / boss spawns in random zone / increased rare pack / etc etc

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info