Melee rework needed badly.

Endgame has way too much spike damage and instant kill mechanics for melee to ever stand a decent chance.

Being ranged, you have the freedom to attack from anywhere. Melee, you're limited to a SMALL ass space in order to deal your damage. On top of many bosses being vastly more dangerous at close distance.

Is there any reward for it? Of course not. Ranged builds can be just as tanky as any melee build can other than ugly ass marauder juggernauts. Not everyone wants to play as that ugly M-fer.

Last edited by Ghoulz666 on Aug 26, 2016, 8:18:49 AM
Does it really matter so much that ranged charachters can do slightly higher damage over time?
It's been like that in every hack and slash game there is. No one was bothered about this in diablo 2.
Last edited by kompaniet on Aug 26, 2016, 11:34:21 AM
Some nice suggestions in this thread, here is mine. The developers should exchange the secondary effects of ranged attacks for the melee ones and vice versa.

I.e. Frost arrow or whatever it's called secondary chill+dmg effect should be on glacial hammer and frost arrow should be shuttering frozen targets on low life but have no aoe. Having both range, safety, and aoe makes no sense.
I'm a forum warrior, i was born to post, raised to defend my league. Now my post has been removed, chained and exiled by mods who Ban. Ban is my brother; i do not fear it. I see it in the eyes of men and beasts that i troll. It will take me to play the actual game when i am ready and i am not ready.
My 2 cents on This:

Remove fortify suport and make it an inate of melee skills, if posible make the damage reduction be inverce to aoe si single Target get larger reduction.

Use a simple baseline fórmula for damage where damage should be inverce to aoe and max range.

If posible add a multiplier like spells but to weapons to make weapons balance much easier.

self found league fan

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/324242/page/1

Last edited by caboom on Aug 26, 2016, 1:20:59 PM
They could also put small amounts of % life or % es on melee damage nodes (perhaps notables, cause those take more investment to get).

The biggest 'issue' for a melee right now is generally that if you have enough DPS to clear content quickly you don't have enough life, but if you have enough life you don't clear things very fast.

Obviously there are exceptions. But adding life or es to melee notables (esp underused ones) would strengthen melee builds without impacting ranged and make less used clusters actually usable for various builds.
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
"
kompaniet wrote:
Does it really matter so much that ranged charachters can do slightly higher damage over time?
It's been like that in every hack and slash game there is. No one was bothered about this in diablo 2.

If it was just slightly higher damage, it wouldn't be a problem. But ranged chars can clear entire screens with a single skill use. Melee chars simply cannot clear that fast due to the extra travel time they need to move between packs.

The first step in fixing melee would be to do something about ranged builds' ability to nuke entire packs with ease.

Actually, that's the second step. The first step is getting GGG to care. Good luck with that.
"
zSavage wrote:
They could also put small amounts of % life or % es on melee damage nodes (perhaps notables, cause those take more investment to get).

The biggest 'issue' for a melee right now is generally that if you have enough DPS to clear content quickly you don't have enough life, but if you have enough life you don't clear things very fast.

Obviously there are exceptions. But adding life or es to melee notables (esp underused ones) would strengthen melee builds without impacting ranged and make less used clusters actually usable for various builds.

+1

And they could upgrade Fortify for the melee (point blank actually) users, so if they are taking their time to kill mobs in contrast to range/casters, they should be rewarded...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
The biggest problem with melee is the how clunky the targetted abilities feel. There is nothing worse then walking up to a group to swing your weapon in the air. Two things you can do here is increased weapon range of melee weapons. As well as code in that if you don't click on a target, the game attacks the nearest monster to your cursor within your melee range. I don't want to feel like i have to use Multistrike with everything targeted.

2nd thing you can do is add more hybrid nodes with melee weapons. Or atleast the big notables. Make them give damage and life or damage and defense.

Lastly, give 2 handed weapon users a quiver equivalent. Like a grip or something.

I'm also tired of these people saying Earthquake isn't a melee skill. You can use it from range if you have a large increase to AoE on the tree and in gear. But some people don't make builds with all this. I have made a few EQ builds with 15-20+ AoE.. being that less duration is a must have, I wanted to try builds without using Increased AoE gem. They work pretty well, but I have to get into the groups to hit themm all. This is what being melee is.
"
e1337donkey wrote:
The biggest problem with melee is the how clunky the targetted abilities feel. There is nothing worse then walking up to a group to swing your weapon in the air. Two things you can do here is increased weapon range of melee weapons. As well as code in that if you don't click on a target, the game attacks the nearest monster to your cursor within your melee range. I don't want to feel like i have to use Multistrike with everything targeted.

2nd thing you can do is add more hybrid nodes with melee weapons. Or atleast the big notables. Make them give damage and life or damage and defense.

Lastly, give 2 handed weapon users a quiver equivalent. Like a grip or something.

I'm also tired of these people saying Earthquake isn't a melee skill. You can use it from range if you have a large increase to AoE on the tree and in gear. But some people don't make builds with all this. I have made a few EQ builds with 15-20+ AoE.. being that less duration is a must have, I wanted to try builds without using Increased AoE gem. They work pretty well, but I have to get into the groups to hit themm all. This is what being melee is.

+1

Targeting mobs is definitely a pain for single target skills. They should work like multistrike regardless of if you have it supported by multistrike or not. The only benefit of multistrike strike should be quick attacks...

Yeah Earthquake is a good skill, but it shows what's wrong with melee doesn't it? Same with all the other melee skills that have been released.

I've recently started playing a Heavy Strike Duelist - Weight of the Empire x5 (only 3 socketed so far though) with Empires Grasps. Having a real hoot, feels like a melee build. Looking forward to end game with him to see how he goes. Clear speed is good enough imo, doesn't clear screens in 0.5 seconds...more like 2 - 4 seconds, but does great against uniques and bosses.
Heavy strike should be given 500% more damage when only one target is in melee range.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info