So they say.. music is dead and great singers are of a past era..

"
innervation wrote:
"
Bars wrote:
@Einkil: Tarja Turunen ain't exactly new talent. Caro Emerald are fantastic. Back it Up is in my favourites playlist (44 tracks only)

A modest contribution by me:

Epica - We Will Take You With Us

Not exactly new either, but still relatively new in the grander scheme of things.

@Crackmonster: nice stuff, definitely good, although I tend to go for for different styles

The singer and screamer compliment each other very nicely. Just a nitpick but on a few of these songs they could use a better drummer (or let him do more if he is good - unleash the beast!). Not that he's bad, it's just not often you hear metal combined with toned down, simple drum parts. Even some of the guitar parts are a bit...I'm not sure the word. Simple I guess. Again, just a nitpick, I can't help the critic in me. They are great and I'm still listening to the playlist 6 songs in.

Someone is talking about Epica, I heard that !
Ok, I might not be the best objective guy on the matter (because I'm madly in love with their music), but I have some stuff to add regarding these two posts, and the remarks written by Innervation.
First, this song is more than 10 year old, it is from their first album (The Phantom Agony, 2003). Despite being a good album, the feeling isn't exactly what they planned for the band. They changed the drummer and the lead guitarist since then, and you might like the new sound they have.
Epica - The Second Stone
Be warned : it's heavier and richer.

It was very hard for me to pick only one song to represent their new sound. If you enjoyed that, listen to "The Quantum Enigma" (2014), the album where this song is from (their new album is coming in september).

To get back on great singers, I can't pretend to know a lot of them. I'm mostly in metal music so I know mostly singers from there, and despite the Epica singer Simone Simons, I also have a lot of admiration for Floor Jansen (singer in After Forever, ReVamp, and now Nightwish). They made a amazing duo on Stabat Matter Dolorosa.
Regarding the male singers, I'm less impressed but there are still some names I try to remember : Tony Kakko (Sonata Arctica), Tommy Karevik (new singer in Kamelot), Fabio Lione (Rhapsody of Fire) are the first that comes to my mind.

Outside of metal I worship like many of us Freddie Mercury. But I don't have any names that comes close to what Freddie does to me.
Last edited by Pulsahr on Aug 12, 2016, 4:38:40 AM
About the singers. Regarding the OP I don't like that soul style singing. I'm sure the lady posted is talented vocalist but her output isn't my cup of tea.

Here are few modern singers who I consider good:

Hell: this guy can sing and make a show (he also has his own peculiar sound so might not appeal to everyone)
https://youtu.be/8TsD2I9CXhA

Arkona: best folk/pagan metal band with one of, if not the, best female metal vocalists
https://youtu.be/SgXlUxDGFvU

Nevermore: band broke after this and I never remember his new band, great singer though
https://youtu.be/vjQ63uB__OA

Avatarium: one of many Leif Edling projects, this one has good female vocalist with blues background
https://youtu.be/GWuGTYiQs8U

There are many good vocalists these days but auto-tune and studio technology have had a negative impact on singing in general. Many of my favorite singers are form 60's, 70's and 80's: Annie Haslam (Renaissance), David Byron (Uriah Heep), Ronnie James Dio, Freddie Mercury, etc. It's actually surprisingly rare combination to have a good voice, good technique and an ability to convey emotion.
"
Bars wrote:
@Einkil: Tarja Turunen ain't exactly new talent. Caro Emerald are fantastic. Back it Up is in my favourites playlist (44 tracks only)

A modest contribution by me:

Epica - We Will Take You With Us

Not exactly new either, but still relatively new in the grander scheme of things.

@Crackmonster: nice stuff, definitely good, although I tend to go for for different styles

I'm considering anyone that started to hit it big within the past 10-15 years, and done the majority of their work within that time. One exception may be James Maynard Keenan, As tool was started in like 1990 or something iirc.

E: just a quick dump of some bands I enjoy. At work so can't hyperlink any Youtube vids though.
Metal:
Eluveitie
Ensiferum
Kamelot
Turisas
Manowar
Rhapsody of Fire
Nightwish
Van Canto

Other;
Jamiroquai
Goldfish
Dirt poor Robins
The Hush Sound
Puscifer

Not my real account anymore, use it for forums while I work
You might also know me as "Thisisnotmyrealaccount" to which I forgot the E-mail for.
My real account is Einkil1, it's my steam account which is why I can't access it at work >.>
Last edited by Einkil on Aug 12, 2016, 2:34:41 PM
I don't know how I ended up here on a sunny youtube adventure kind of day, but here is an album that I don't think is mainstream metal, at least, it isn't in the States. Perhaps you metalheads will enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMGo-9tKb90

Shylmagoghnar - Emergence (Full Album)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info