So they say.. music is dead and great singers are of a past era..

Maybe they are right..

but this one is massively talented nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiQAk-AGzdY

EDIT: and this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xlaql9o9Us

Also i'm just going to add something older of a similar style, and maybe i posted it here before but i can't remember. Still love it and is gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2A941Pwnvo
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Aug 11, 2016, 1:48:19 PM
Last bumped on Aug 12, 2016, 3:09:50 PM
"
Crackmonster wrote:
Maybe they are right..

but this one is massively talented nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiQAk-AGzdY

EDIT: and this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xlaql9o9Us

Also i'm just going to add something older of a similar style, and maybe i posted it here before but i can't remember. Still love it and is gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2A941Pwnvo

They definitely aren't correct. People that say that are generally the people that listen to the same few bands and don't actually look for new talent.

Caro Emerald, Tarja Turunen, Greta Salpeter, James Maynard Keenan.
Those are just off the top of my head.

I mean, there aren't any Paul McCartneys, Freddie Mercurys, or Roy Orbisons but there are still plenty of Excellent singers/bands
Not my real account anymore, use it for forums while I work
You might also know me as "Thisisnotmyrealaccount" to which I forgot the E-mail for.
My real account is Einkil1, it's my steam account which is why I can't access it at work >.>
@Einkil: Tarja Turunen ain't exactly new talent. Caro Emerald are fantastic. Back it Up is in my favourites playlist (44 tracks only)

A modest contribution by me:

Epica - We Will Take You With Us

Not exactly new either, but still relatively new in the grander scheme of things.

@Crackmonster: nice stuff, definitely good, although I tend to go for for different styles
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Aug 11, 2016, 3:31:08 PM
Icon For Hire, Stitched Up Heart, and The Pretty Reckless all have amazing singers as well...
Please contact support@grindinggear.com if you need any assistance.
"They"? Passed their prime curmudgeons?

I like me some Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQjsAJhsSw8

Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
"
Bars wrote:
@Einkil: Tarja Turunen ain't exactly new talent. Caro Emerald are fantastic. Back it Up is in my favourites playlist (44 tracks only)

Not exactly new either, but still relatively new in the grander scheme of things.

@Crackmonster: nice stuff, definitely good, although I tend to go for for different styles

The singer and screamer compliment each other very nicely. Just a nitpick but on a few of these songs they could use a better drummer (or let him do more if he is good - unleash the beast!). Not that he's bad, it's just not often you hear metal combined with toned down, simple drum parts. Even some of the guitar parts are a bit...I'm not sure the word. Simple I guess. Again, just a nitpick, I can't help the critic in me. They are great and I'm still listening to the playlist 6 songs in.
Last edited by innervation on Aug 11, 2016, 4:36:17 PM
I think more music is made now than ever before. Most of it is bad (like always) but lots of great stuff is made each year too. The biggest problem is finding the good ones (at least that's how I feel). I'm struggling in finding good new non-metal albums because I don't know where to look, with metal it's a bit easier as I've been into it for over 30 years (something like 75/25 split with metal/non-metal these days).

If you're just following the charts and big releases then music may really seem dead. I mean, half of the shit on charts is barely recognizable as music (yeah, I mean rap mostly).
"
kuukkeli wrote:
I think more music is made now than ever before. Most of it is bad (like always) but lots of great stuff is made each year too. The biggest problem is finding the good ones (at least that's how I feel). I'm struggling in finding good new non-metal albums because I don't know where to look, with metal it's a bit easier as I've been into it for over 30 years (something like 75/25 split with metal/non-metal these days).

That's also the problem I have. I've been discovering nice music and genres over the years but most of them by pure chance.

@OP: Who are "they"? :P

Most of the chart music nowadays is shit ofc, because it's written with a marketing mindset, not an artist's one.

"
innervation wrote:
"
Bars wrote:

The singer and screamer compliment each other very nicely. Just a nitpick but on a few of these songs they could use a better drummer (or let him do more if he is good - unleash the beast!). Not that he's bad, it's just not often you hear metal combined with toned down, simple drum parts. Even some of the guitar parts are a bit...I'm not sure the word. Simple I guess. Again, just a nitpick, I can't help the critic in me. They are great and I'm still listening to the playlist 6 songs in.

I don't like metal with too much drumming in it. It starts getting too noisy for my taste. I also don't like overly technical metal with incredibly complicated guitar parts just because 'hey, look how good we are'. Same thing with classical music. So, Paganini was a virtuoso - good for him, that doesn't mean his pieces which can be played by a few people in the entire world are actually good for listening.

For example, my favourite rendition of Asturias:

Andres Segovia - Asturias

It's slower - and much better - than all other popular ones I've seen. Some are much faster. You can see Segovia is playing to for the sake of the music and doesn't even try to show off. No 'look at how good I am' bullshit.

Another example - my favourite Malaguena:

Pepe Romero - Malagueña

He's just playing. He's not trying.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Aug 12, 2016, 2:08:00 AM
"
kuukkeli wrote:
I'm struggling in finding good new non-metal albums because I don't know where to look, with metal it's a bit easier as I've been into it for over 30 years (something like 75/25 split with metal/non-metal these days).

If you haven't heard anything off Sully Erna's solo album Avalon, you should definitely check it out. Just don't go into it thinking "godsmack". :)

IMO one of the best albums of the last decade, here's a taste.
7 years
&
My Light

As a fellow metal head my favorite non-metal genre is the blues, a couple of artists to check out are Joe Bonamassa & Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info