Unique Idea: Auto Claw

So here's the idea, its a claw where the theme is that its a mechanized weapon with a drained battery that lies dormant until it makes contact with a source of energy (so upon touching a shocked enemy) but due to its drained battery is unable to shock stuff itself.

Upon touching a shocked enemy it will immediately lash out and use at random an attack gem socketed inside the claw repeatedly and rapidly until either the enemy it is targetting is no longer shocked and thus cannot power the claw, or dies (again cant power the claw)

Balance wise its fairly decent, it provides the only source of an "Attack on X" trigger.

But has heavy tradeoffs, namely it animation locks the player until it stops looping its attacks on the shocked enemy (either from shock wearing off, or them dieing)

And the only way to cause a feedback loop (so basically it will just infinitely attack anything you hit) is to use a maligaros restraint and shock something using ele prolif, and even that method has insane tradeoffs, namely now not only are you animation locked until everything you have touched dies, but you are also shocked until everything on your screen dies so it stops prolif'ing the shock back onto you.

As for the actual weapon it would of course need an ICD for the proc so you dont touch an enemy once and attack it 5000 times in one second.

But it would also need an ICD low enough to warrant using the claw instead of just building attack speed, 0.05 like CoC would be interesting, Thats 20 aps which is roughly 5 more aps than what is achievable through pure attack speed on a high aps base weapon and would also provide some interesting interactions with CoC, as such the weapon should have a low base crit chance so using it for CoC actually takes some investment ontop of the heavy animation lock penalty.

It would also need a fairly low Phys roll so as to not be a BiS dps weapon because of its 20aps attack speed on shocked enemies.

Just for the sake of throwing an idea around id imagine something like this.

Malachai's Machination, Double Claw
25% less phys damage (local)
25% of phys damage gained as lightning damage (global)
Gems in this item are supported by Attack on shock
20% reduced crit chance (local)
Attacks with this weapon cannot shock.

Now to explain what I chose and why I chose it.

I went with the double claw as I want this to be a mid tier unique where its only end game potential is in its attack on shock affix, so having a level requirement of 36 and damage to match seems appropriate, this way players can still use it as early as normal, but it isnt some crazy mad dps item in endgame (it can be through investment but thats the point, it shouldn't be BiS) also we really need a unique maraketh claw

25% less phys damage as a local mod reduces the damage so as to stop it from being BiS again.

And the 25% of phys damage gained as lightning damage stops it from being WiS

the 20% reduced crit chance brings the crit base down to 5.04 effectively making it a bitch to use for cast on crit, forcing you to think "is it really worth investing that much into crit chance when i can only cast an unsupported spell because im stuck with a 3 link"

Attacks with this weapon cannot shock stops the weapon from just feedback looping.

And finally attack on shock.

This would be a support that reads as follows.

100% chance on hitting a shocked enemy to use supported attack skills.
If more than one attack skill can be used one will be chosen at random.

We have to choose a skill at random so as to stop people from just putting 3 copies of double strike in and attacking 6 times per proc.

And I think that explains all of it.

Feedback would be appreciated and if anyone still has their diamond supporter choice and likes the idea of this weapon? take it i dont have a grand and even if i did im pretty sure GGG doesnt sell the design a unique anymore anyway, if they do however i know what im saving up for.
Last bumped on Jul 31, 2016, 3:38:57 AM
It's a fascinating idea, but you can't just assert "Balance wise its [sic] fairly decent". It sounds like it will be either too amazing via single-target or too garbage for group melee. Also, with a claw being a one-handed weapon, I'm betting the latter because it provides at most a 3-link. No attack can deal as much damage as discharge's maximum potential.

Of course, the only way to even get the "core idea" implemented (it will definitely look nothing like your original stats) is to spend a ton of money on the GGG "create a unique" perk.
an interesting idea to think about.

so basically it auto-attacks shocked enemies which are at melee range with 20 attacks/sec.

There are some uncertainties to clarify-
if you are dual wielding, can other weapon shock? if so, saying that using cyclone- will it interrupt spinning on shock and start auto attack with lets dual strike?
Also i can see that there would be an issue looping at immortal enemies (from vaal totem, p-link bosses in excavation, pale court, necrovigil).

I don't know, i probably would get frustrated very soon with forced attacks and less control over character :) Maybe something more like in auto attack trigger gem fashion (riposte, vengeance), like same claw would recharge on shock the third artificial arm and it would auto attack nearby enemies without taking over character control. But i guess artificial third hand (like in first picture) would be off poe style, maybe smth like ghost hand (second picture).

first image- artificial hand

second picture- ghost hands
Last edited by Andrius319 on Jul 26, 2016, 3:22:49 PM
Well theres nothing stopping you from off handing it with a sword in the main hand and socketing lacerate in it to get 20 lacerates per second (based on the icd), hell we could limit it to only working with the weapon and youd still be able to use reave.

And in single target while the dps would be amazing yes the trade off like i said is that you are animation locked while those attacks are happening, so even though the attack time is 0.5 seconds effectively you dont have a chance to move out of the way of that malachai slam for instance.

And do they still do the create a unique perk? if so i might actually save up and try to get something like this implemented.

Yes you would still be able to shock with the other weapon, so yes your cyclone would get interrupted (unless ofc you socketed cyclone in the claw, in which case you would rapidly cyclone at the last unit you shocked and hit)
Last edited by MrTeatimeYT on Jul 26, 2016, 3:27:29 PM
"
MrTeatimeYT wrote:

And do they still do the create a unique perk? if so i might actually save up and try to get something like this implemented.

From dev q+a part 2:

"
Chris wrote:
Are supporter designed uniques still something that is available for high tier supporters? If not, will it be returning at some point in the future?

You can write to support@grindinggear.com to arrange to participate in the unique design process (for $1000), but be aware that you go to the back of the queue behind a lot of people. If your unique design is very straightforward and doesn't require much work from our team then it can slip through the process more quickly, depending on what other people's ones are waiting on.

However, do note that the design-a-unique process tends to involve heavily modifying what the item does. For example, Maloney's Nightfall, the 10%-smoke-cloud-when-hit quiver, originally started design as a Damage over Time quiver.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
"
adghar wrote:
"
MrTeatimeYT wrote:

From dev q+a part 2:

"
Chris wrote:
Are supporter designed uniques still something that is available for high tier supporters? If not, will it be returning at some point in the future?

You can write to support@grindinggear.com to arrange to participate in the unique design process (for $1000), but be aware that you go to the back of the queue behind a lot of people. If your unique design is very straightforward and doesn't require much work from our team then it can slip through the process more quickly, depending on what other people's ones are waiting on.

However, do note that the design-a-unique process tends to involve heavily modifying what the item does. For example, Maloney's Nightfall, the 10%-smoke-cloud-when-hit quiver, originally started design as a Damage over Time quiver.

Looks like im saving up for awhile then haha.

As for changing the unique id be fine with that, as long as it thematically stays the same.

In other words a fist weapon that when powered goes into an attacking frenzy taking control of the user, Aka malachais failed attempt at an exoskeleton.

Also the solve the immortal enemy problem it could still have the attack consume mana, or have the weapon consume shock stacks to power itself so that by nature the loop is limited and its up to you to force it to be an infinite loop (no accidental looping)
Last edited by MrTeatimeYT on Jul 26, 2016, 3:34:54 PM
Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 26, 2016, 9:13:52 PM
"
Entropic_Fire wrote:
I love the idea of triggering attacks on shock, but not the idea that it would continue to trigger infinitely until the shock wears off. This would also feel really clunky in parties where someone else applies shock, you would get stuck randomly passing any mobs they happened to shock.

What if it triggered the socketed attack gems once every time you applied a shock, to every enemy you applied a shock to?

That could work.

Makes me wonder how that would interact with the ele prolif maligaros restrain shock aura method.

Would it attack infinitely or only once when the enemy first enters the range of the aura.

If its infinitely, that actually makes for a great compromise, because you have to actively equip a maligaros and shock an enemy using ele prolif to do that, or get 100% chance to shock somehow (i know its possible because im playing a 100% chance to freeze scion) so you have to actively decide "i want to animation lock myself in return for deeps"

And that once per enemy intrigues me, itd be insane to have every enemy get attacked once so thats off the table, but what if the weapon gave you a massive movement speed buff when it goes to attack something so you shock something and it gives you +50% movement speed or something and you charge at the thing you just shocked and punch it in the face automatically.

Which would fit in with the whole "forces you into a frenzy taking control of you" part of the theme.
Vaal Lightning Trap kinda kills this idea. It allows anyone to keep anything shocked with only 1 gem slot of investment. Meaning, GGG either balances it around VLT and leaves any other use as pointless, or they don't and VLT makes it broken beyond belief.
Last edited by Adser on Jul 26, 2016, 4:47:12 PM
"
Adser wrote:
Vaal Lightning Trap kinda kills this idea. It allows anyone to keep anything shocked with only 1 gem slot of investment. Meaning, GGG either balances it around VLT and leaves any other use as pointless, or they don't and VLT makes it broken beyond belief.

Sure, if by broken you mean you are stuck standing infront of that mob punching it to death until the shock wears off not able to move out of the way.

Or in the revised version we came up with later in the thread it only attacks once because it only shocks once.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info