Tornado shot +1 chain vs +1 projectile

"
Tian_Yihao wrote:
Im using the +1 chain from deadeye on my current char, and it is by FAR better than what full pierce would do for clearspeed.

My last char was a pierce tornado shot char actually, and atm i think i'd prefer chain for it, but it is better to test it out to see what fits you pleasure of playstyle here. Tornado shot is somewhat random which makes both cases have ups and downs. I still cleared VERY well with pierce, + it benefits so much when you can use the pierce gem for pure dmg, for chain version slow proj could be an option unless you run perhaps crit strike + multi.

Vs a boss neither will help anyway unless there's nearby monsters.

Tornado shot is quite special comparing to other arrow skills (lightning/ice/multi shot). Basically it is aiming on a target location rather than target enemy. Due to this mechanic, the tornado shot benefit very little from pierce it self. The damage only increase when drill neck come with pierce.

Alternately, if picking ricochet + a good rare quiver, which provide (resistance/critical chance/multiplier/elemental damage). Like now I am using my quiver to cap my elemental resistance, the quiver also provides some critical chance and %WED, so that I can have a ring spot for Doedre's Damning, which allow me to apply 2 curses. The (2 curses+ricochet) beats (1 curse +powerful precision+drill neck) badly in both pack clearing and boss fight.
Last edited by allforone999 on Jul 26, 2016, 12:46:39 PM
"
allforone999 wrote:
"
Tian_Yihao wrote:
Im using the +1 chain from deadeye on my current char, and it is by FAR better than what full pierce would do for clearspeed.

My last char was a pierce tornado shot char actually, and atm i think i'd prefer chain for it, but it is better to test it out to see what fits you pleasure of playstyle here. Tornado shot is somewhat random which makes both cases have ups and downs. I still cleared VERY well with pierce, + it benefits so much when you can use the pierce gem for pure dmg, for chain version slow proj could be an option unless you run perhaps crit strike + multi.

Vs a boss neither will help anyway unless there's nearby monsters.

Tornado shot is quite special comparing to other arrow skills (lightning/ice/multi shot). Basically it is aiming on a target location rather than target enemy. Due to this mechanic, the tornado shot benefit very little from pierce it self. The damage only increase when drill neck come with pierce.

Exactly, which is why pierce TS mostly just benefit in huge packs where it can pierce through everything in 1 shot. Otherwise chain is better thanks to its homing system. When playing deadeye chain is an excellent option since you dont have to reduce your dmg by so much from the gem.

The TS char i played was a raider, which meant that i used pierce for a multiplier boost instead of chain that would reduce my main hits a lot. Also gotta mention it was a pure phys with poison build so having decent hits meant a lot, i already cleared screens pretty fast so chain wasnt needed for that build, and the huge hits + psn melted bosses ;) (where chain gem would be utter useless). And since pierce also double dip for my psn it was another factor for my decision.

Since pierce is a multiplier dmg gem it does give quite decent dmg alone even without drillneck when your gear is good.

You just wasted 3 seconds reading this.
Last edited by Tian_Yihao on Jul 26, 2016, 1:33:02 PM
You've tested raider pierce TS vs deadeye chain TS in maps?
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Yes and no, two different builds so they won't compare fully.

If we ignore movement speed deadeye chain is imo better. But since raider gets 8 (pretty much perm) frenzy which gives massive dmg and move speed i had significantly better exp/h with that char. If i would have had my queen of the forest ready for the TS char i would run around with 100%+ move speed all the time.

In my opinion both the builds i made are best suited for the ascendancy i took.

We all know chain itself is insanely good, but it often comes down to the entire build setup. When i played chaos spark last league pierce was a nobrainer.

"
Tian_Yihao wrote:

If we ignore movement speed deadeye chain is imo better. But since raider gets 8 (pretty much perm) frenzy which gives massive dmg and move speed i had significantly better exp/h with that char. If i would have had my queen of the forest ready for the TS char i would run around with 100%+ move speed all the time.

We all know chain itself is insanely good, but it often comes down to the entire build setup. When i played chaos spark last league pierce was a nobrainer.

Free chain is good. The chain skill gem itself is grossly under powered.
They are different builds but can still be compared and its clear raider pierce is the exp/min winner right?
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
"
Nephalim wrote:
"
allforone999 wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:
Chain is grossly under powered and there's no reason to use the gem or the class that provides it.

You sure about that? When there are 2 enemies in the range. +1 chain can literally double the damage for each one.

Depends on the skill being used and in what build but I can't think of many builds were a hard pierce variant would not be better.

Also, are you talking about deadeye chain +1 ek + roth's reach or do you mean any other projectile attack build?

For me. The raider is so much rely on kill. If I am rich with a lot of map, and playing a character for just leveling up the gem, I will go for the raider. By contrast, deadeye is way better on dealing with hard bosses.
"
Nephalim wrote:
"
Tian_Yihao wrote:

They are different builds but can still be compared and its clear raider pierce is the exp/min winner right?

Correct :)
"
Tian_Yihao wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:
"
Tian_Yihao wrote:

Correct :)

The chain gem can be good only if you have a sub weapon. Use chain on the pack, and switch the weapon on the single target. When the enemies can be chained with each other, the damage boost just insane, even worth for the gem punishment.
"
allforone999 wrote:
When the enemies can be chained with each other,

What do you mean with this? I have tested chain (from Ascendancy) and was completely unable to get multiple hits on one target with one attack. Related test with chain gem: It never chains back to the first target.
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
"
Zrevnur wrote:
"
allforone999 wrote:
When the enemies can be chained with each other,

What do you mean with this? I have tested chain (from Ascendancy) and was completely unable to get multiple hits on one target with one attack. Related test with chain gem: It never chains back to the first target.

It can chain back to the original target, but only after 2 further chains. So you need chain +3 to get a single projectile to hit the same enemy twice.

However, other projectiles from the attack can each hit different enemies. For eg, if there are 3 targets, and you use LMP to hit one target with each projectile, then each enemy will end up getting hit 3 times (one initial hit, plus one chain from each of the other projectiles).
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info