Tornado shot +1 chain vs +1 projectile

This is more like a question rather than a conclusion. I am quite new to the game, need help on ascendancy picking.Based on my understanding, the damage benefit (not aoe radius benefit!) from each is below. Suppose I am having 5 projectiles for 1 tornado shot, the damage benefit from

+1 chain:

Single target within the range : 0%
1-5 targets within the range: somewhere close to 100%, depends on how close between the targets.

+1 Projectile:

Single target within the range : either 0% or 20% depends on the target size.
1-5 targets: depends on the closeness between the targets and the size of the targets

The conclusion is +1 chain outperforms +1 projectile all the way until there is only 1 enemy. +1 chain boost the damage dramatically, especially when there are 2 or 3 targets stay closely. I am not sure if this is correct, so definitely appreciate any discussion regarding these 2.
Last edited by allforone999 on Jul 25, 2016, 12:41:22 PM
Last bumped on Jul 29, 2016, 10:01:53 AM
Most Tornado Shot builds will go for pierce (gem + passive tree for 100%) paired with Drillneck for the damage increase. If a projectile pierces, it cannot chain. Therefore +1-2 projectile is superior on trash and for single rares/bosses IMO.
Chain is grossly under powered and there's no reason to use the gem or the class that provides it.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
"
Nephalim wrote:
Chain is grossly under powered and there's no reason to use the gem or the class that provides it.

You sure about that? When there are 2 enemies in the range. +1 chain can literally double the damage for each one.
"
allforone999 wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:

You sure about that? When there are 2 enemies in the range. +1 chain can literally double the damage for each one.

Depends on the skill being used and in what build but I can't think of many builds were a hard pierce variant would not be better.

Also, are you talking about deadeye chain +1 ek + roth's reach or do you mean any other projectile attack build?
"
Nephalim wrote:
"
allforone999 wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:

Depends on the skill being used and in what build but I can't think of many builds were a hard pierce variant would not be better.

Also, are you talking about deadeye chain +1 ek + roth's reach or do you mean any other projectile attack build?

Yes. I am talking about dead eye nods. With tornado shot. The situation is tornado shot along will perform both pack clearing and boss fight.

Hm, you'd have to try both out, I never really bothered with TS due to its random spray mechanics.
What are your 6 links if you dont use pierce gem?
If you have no pierce and dont want it then the chain is much better for grinding than +1 arrow. The +1 arrow ascendancy gives other benefits too though. The 20% area can matter a lot.
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
"
Nephalim wrote:

Hm, you'd have to try both out, I never really bothered with TS due to its random spray mechanics.
What are your 6 links if you dont use pierce gem?

It's really just about the ascendancy nods for tornado shot build. I tried back and forth with endless munitions, ricochet, and powerful precision. Here is my understanding:

Endless munitions: consistent damage boost/AOE radiu.

Ricochet : tons of damage and AOE, but not functional for single boss fight.

powerful precision:: excellent AOE , but barely increase the damage.

Powerful precision+drill neck: excellent AOE and damage

This is all based on the mechanic of tornado shot. For me, clearing pack has never been an issue. I am all focused on boss fight and survivability. I think powerful precision is only worthwhile when come with drill neck. However the drill neck, apart from the unique mod, the quiver itself is weak in both damage and survivability. In the end, i think a good rare quiver + ricochet will beat drillneck+ pwerfull precision.

I can't afford 6L yet. The 5 link on my reach of the council is TS+WED+PL+FA+(pierce/PPAD) depend on which quiver I use. If I have the 6 link, I will add either critical chance or critical multiplier.
Im using the +1 chain from deadeye on my current char, and it is by FAR better than what full pierce would do for clearspeed.

My last char was a pierce tornado shot char actually, and atm i think i'd prefer chain for it, but it is better to test it out to see what fits you pleasure of playstyle here. Tornado shot is somewhat random which makes both cases have ups and downs. I still cleared VERY well with pierce, + it benefits so much when you can use the pierce gem for pure dmg, for chain version slow proj could be an option unless you run perhaps crit strike + multi.

Vs a boss neither will help anyway unless there's nearby monsters.
You just wasted 3 seconds reading this.
Last edited by Tian_Yihao on Jul 26, 2016, 8:43:14 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info