Caption the Screenshot Competition Winners!

"
cipher_nemo wrote:
"
sauldosanjos wrote:
I've never said it would determine the winning, stop trying to justify everything just because you won.

Advantageous =/= meaningless

I was just happy to make my entries. I had another entry as well. Even if I didn't win, I'd still be happy for those who did. It was a contest for fun, not for life and death to be analyzed by the community to such a detailed level of picking apart the wording of the rules.

So referring to the wording of the rules is only fine if you want to defend them (like you did above)? Well that's a pretty blatant double standard.

You do realize that people can criticize the contest and its execution without criticizing the winners, right? It's not the winners' fault that many people didn't have "fun" with this contest because the rules were unclear or the selection capricious. I am very happy for the winners and very unhappy with the contest. Doesn't have to be one or the other.
"
Don't worry too much about the jellies. It was all for fun and you had fun with it. That's what counts for the most. (Mine was sketchbook pro ;)

Good sentiments, thanks.

As for AutoDesk Sketchbook Pro, I love that app on my Note 3 with a stylus.

I did all of my entries on a desktop PC with Adobe Photoshop CS5 (wish I could justify buying CC or so suite).
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
"
I was just happy to make my entries. I had another entry as well. Even if I didn't win, I'd still be happy for those who did. It was a contest for fun, not for life and death to be analyzed by the community to such a detailed level of picking apart the wording of the rules.

I would be happy for those who won if they were better selected. I mean, why they've said "Lore, fan-fiction, hilarity or anything else" if they gonna choose just based on "hilarity"?
There was no statement saying "this is just for fun, these prize will be given randomly".
"
horstkaracho wrote:
So referring to the wording of the rules is only fine if you want to defend them (like you did above)? Well that's a pretty blatant double standard.

You do realize that people can criticize the contest and its execution without criticizing the winners, right? It's not the winners' fault that many people didn't have "fun" with this contest because the rules were unclear or the selection capricious. I am very happy for the winners and very unhappy with the contest. Doesn't have to be one or the other.

Yup, I completely understand. But I can't fault Bex or GGG for this contest. They wanted to do something for the community that was as inclusive as they could think of at the moment. And without spending too much time trying to over-analyze the rules and 99 pages of entries, they probably had an informal pick-n-vote of what they enjoyed.

Understand that you're happy for the winners, but unhappy with the contest as it was implemented/judged. Thanks. Just remember we're all human, and the GGG employees are no different. I think Bex and team did a damn good job given all of the variables within this contest.
Last edited by cipher_nemo on Jul 7, 2016, 11:18:08 AM
pretty cool stuff. juicebox submission was my favorite.

-HeaT
youtube.com/heatfury
twitch.tv/heatzgaming
"
cipher_nemo wrote:
"
horstkaracho wrote:

Yup, I completely understand. But I can't fault Bex or GGG for this contest. They wanted to do something for the community that was as inclusive as they could think of at the moment. And without spending too much time trying to over-analyze the rules and 99 pages of entries, they probably had an informal pick-n-vote of what they enjoyed.

Understand that you're happy for the winners, but unhappy with the contest as it was implemented/judged. Thanks. Just remember we're all human, and the GGG employees are no different. I think Bex and team did a damn good job given all of the variables within this contest.

I think they did a very bad job and hope they will do a better one in the future. Saying I can't reasonably criticize because people are human and they did it for fun is not a very good argument imo, because they are supposed to do it for OUR enjoyment and if it doesn't work out people have the right to say something. Don't want to put a lot of work into a contest? Well, don't do it then. You can actually only fault Bex and GGG for this. Because, well, who else?
I think it's a good thing people are vocal with their criticism as long as it's constructive. To fault the winners and calling the entries garbage is pretty retarded, though.
"
horstkaracho wrote:
I think they did a very bad job and hope they will do a better one in the future. Saying I can't reasonably criticize because people are human and they did it for fun is not a very good argument imo, because they are supposed to do it for OUR enjoyment and if it doesn't work out people have the right to say something. Don't want to put a lot of work into a contest? Well, don't do it then. You can actually only fault Bex and GGG for this. Because, well, who else? I think it's a good thing people are vocal with their criticism as long as it's constructive. To fault the winners and calling the entries garbage is pretty retarded, though.

Agreed, in that of course we can criticize. :-) Also, agree that calling entries garbage is not only in poor taste, but just downright insulting. Even if some entries didn't have polish, they were indeed entertaining.

Perhaps Bex will take the feedback to make the next contest's rules more defined, in addition to what exactly will be judged.

That said, I still enjoyed the contest, as did many.
"
Wazz72 wrote:
Gratz to all the winners, kudos to Cipher!!

"
Archwizard wrote:
"
iAkrobat wrote:
Gratz to the winners, even though i dont see any captioned screenshot in there.

"Caption the screenshot" means to me, that you get a screenshot and give it a title, not draw around in it. Correct me, if im wrong, but in my understanding noone did what was asked for.. *confused*

Oh I had that same thought.

In the OP - announcement from 2 weeks ago - GGG posted some screenshots and you had to work with those.

Re: above quote, you missed my and iAkrobat's point.

I agree that the spirit of the competition as spelled out (and titled!) was clearly not adhered to. Really, I think of the winners only the "Vote Brutus" one was captioned.

I'm glad folks had fun, and obviously effort was put into the contest. It just really irks me how the contest unfolded given the seeming setup.
Support a free Hong Kong.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with
sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo Galilei
Last edited by Archwizard on Jul 7, 2016, 11:51:51 AM
Congrats to the winners! some of those are truly great!
Congrats to me, i lost.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info