[2.5] 2600+ Int Whispering Ice Guardian. Wonderous Wizard of Wisdom

"
WaffleT wrote:
"
monkuar wrote:

Thanks for the information! And for unprivating your characters.

If you have time, maybe you can upload some videos! I would love to watch them, again, thanks! I'm thinking of trying this build. I have that witch build already (lv. 85) dont really feel like leveling up a new character, as it's the same exact playstyle. Maybe if it's possible to do this build on a witch instead? But I might level up the templar, not sure, just kind of bored of the same skill. Been playing it forever lol

I also don't really know if there will be any noticable differences. Obviously this build is more tanky... and seems like more DMG.. but I really just not sure

no worries. I probably should make some videos. I've just already made a few back on my witch version and it feels like more of the same when the mechanics of the skill don't change just the numbers on the damage and defences

Its possible to do a similar build as a witch but it needs quite a bit changed. The biggest things you'd lose would be 10% aura effectiveness which means you'd have to get more resistances from tree or gear. The witch doesn't scale mana into flat ES so you'd need to drop a lot of Int to get some base ES, probably swapping at least the helmet and belt, when I was witch I also used empower on discipline for more base ES. Lastly you lose all the physical metigation which is the hardest to make up for. Artic armour and chaos golem do some but won't be as tanky.

Honestly if you are tired of the fire/ice storm skill type I would just play something else, I spent two leagues doing melee and coc stuff before returning to the spell scene. Whispering ice is famously fast to level usually only taking a day or two if you have the gear ready since everything it wears has such low level requirements but it can get very fatiguing going through all the acts again and the intital grind to act 4 when you can start using the staff

I agree! WI was insanely fun while leveling. I think you're right, I might just need to find a new build. I mean, I love firestorm/WI, and spell casters, but WI is just so OP and the damage it outputs is literally insane. I'm from open beta though, so it seems like damage isn't an issue anymore on this game. Look at the Frost Wall trick with Kinetic Blast.. Looks like every build just facerolls content. But, I'm not saying that in a bad way, as the game is still challenging and if you don't pay attention, you will die. I just wish the builds were more.. what's the word, "worth it". For example, you can do an obliterate wander build and just plow through the game with AOE and single target. If you know bosses good enough, etc. Anyways, enough of me ranting :D

If you have other builds I'd love to see them. The only issue I have with the WI build I'm following now is my ES drops like a rock sometimes and it scares the shit out of me. But, VP / leech, etc, it goes right back up. I just wish it could be a bit more tanky. That's why I kind of like your build. S

The playstyle is not bad, per say. I activated Blood Rage / Vaal Haste / Onslaught Flask and my MS was through the roof. It was hilarious clearing maps that fast with a caster lol. But yeah, I'm going to unfortunately find another build. I appreciate your honestly though and sorry I cannot follow this one. Not your fault, just I'm burnt out of WI I think
"Good thing they nerfed the carto, it wasn't fun to find one in every map." - Haborym
Last edited by monkuar on Jul 7, 2016, 4:40:15 PM
@monkuar clearing content in the game is no longer a real challenge but hey you make the challenge where you want it. They say the next expansion will be focused on end game so that should be interesting but until then my fun will be in seeing what I can do to abuse mechanics and which things work best together. Actually clearing content feels more like testing to me then actually playing at the moment.

My atziri's disfavour build technically plays smoother then any other I've worked on but I feel kinda meh playing it since the only real interesting thing it has going for it is using +2 support gems to make enhance - enlighten - blasphemy - temp chains - vulnerability utterly insane but the actual tree and skill gems are so damn easy there isn't really room for much creativity. The tree makes itself getting the life and axe nodes and there is no other choice then earthquake so there is limited decision making. Poison + Bleed has been stupid good for a while now and since they added voidheart to make it accessible to everyone its reeally reeally obvious

Something like WI was really enjoyable as there is so many possible ways to build it, each way had its pros and cons and so there was so much to test before I settled on the ones I liked best.

I like how you called unwavering efficient when it costs like 15 passives to get there.
"
Aggnog wrote:
I like how you called unwavering efficient when it costs like 15 passives to get there.

Points spent to get unwavering: 16

Int gained through those 16 points: 188, and thats before the % increased Int from gear and doesn't count the 16% increased Armour that you get as well

The Brute Force Solution jewels overlap really well and that point to Int ratio is pretty similar to what it would be elsewhere in the witch and shadow area.

I think you may be underestimating how much more value Int has over any other stats when the build has this much %increased Int and that Int scales everything the build uses so much

Last edited by WaffleT on Jul 10, 2016, 3:55:28 PM
Nice build you have here, I tried playing whispering ice twice in the past and your build is much better than those two. I do have one question and it concerns this pair of glove.
I took whisper of doom at the cost of 1 socket. I'm not sure which is better, another 52 to 54 intelligence or level 11 elemental weakness on hit. Here's the rest of my gears and tree.

Tree
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAUDAAQHDkgQWBEtEZYXLxhqGYoabBqPHRQdqh8CIvQksClPKjgsnC9vNsU3RzlSPV9FR0ZxTLNOUlBCUilSU1XgVkhXDVgHWFpZ81yKXfJfKl9qX7BiWmZUZp5oWGhla6xsC20Zb55wu3IPcql7135Zf8aApIDggpuDCYP3hMWJ2Iw2j0aP-pIrkyeUb5cGl5WX9Jswm6GbtZ2uns2fy6Evoi6lGKcIpzCsqq-btAy1BL6KwGbBxcM6xKLKSsrT0B_Q0NIh1abXltgk2RPfmOGI5CLqGOvk7BjsOO_r85vz3fba9zL46_nd-tL7Cf0A_kk=?accountName=IchiMorghulis&characterName=FistOfIron

Gears
Spoiler
"
IchiMorghulis wrote:
Nice build you have here, I tried playing whispering ice twice in the past and your build is much better than those two. I do have one question and it concerns this pair of glove.
I took whisper of doom at the cost of 1 socket. I'm not sure which is better, another 52 to 54 intelligence or level 11 elemental weakness on hit. Here's the rest of my gears and tree.

Tree
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAUDAAQHDkgQWBEtEZYXLxhqGYoabBqPHRQdqh8CIvQksClPKjgsnC9vNsU3RzlSPV9FR0ZxTLNOUlBCUilSU1XgVkhXDVgHWFpZ81yKXfJfKl9qX7BiWmZUZp5oWGhla6xsC20Zb55wu3IPcql7135Zf8aApIDggpuDCYP3hMWJ2Iw2j0aP-pIrkyeUb5cGl5WX9Jswm6GbtZ2uns2fy6Evoi6lGKcIpzCsqq-btAy1BL6KwGbBxcM6xKLKSsrT0B_Q0NIh1abXltgk2RPfmOGI5CLqGOvk7BjsOO_r85vz3fba9zL46_nd-tL7Cf0A_kk=?accountName=IchiMorghulis&characterName=FistOfIron

Gears
Spoiler

very good and tricky question. to math it out you are spending 3 points for 30% penetration. However the only time that penetration would really come into play would be against bosses with high resistances who have 60% reduced curse effectiveness so really you are getting 12% penetration which is 4% pen per point.

Thats not bad? but not great. I mean its better damage then other nodes but Int would be boosting your ES as well as damage. Hard call to make I think i'd have the preference for the Int if it hit another 100 mark for more duration on the storm but really its not 'better' either way.

I'm quite underwhelmed by the level 1 temp chains on the gloves. I'd swap them out in a second if there was any other gloves that gave Int except the expensive Atziri's ones and then swap herald of ice into a level 20 blasphemy curse

Also if you swap the fertile mind jewel above the witch area with the spell damage jewel you have just below pain attunement you will gain an extra 10 Int. Even that spell damage one I'd be tempted to replace with one with Int on it but depends on how your offense/defence and mana balances are going
"
very good and tricky question. to math it out you are spending 3 points for 30% penetration. However the only time that penetration would really come into play would be against bosses with high resistances who have 60% reduced curse effectiveness so really you are getting 12% penetration which is 4% pen per point.

Thats not bad? but not great. I mean its better damage then other nodes but Int would be boosting your ES as well as damage. Hard call to make I think i'd have the preference for the Int if it hit another 100 mark for more duration on the storm but really its not 'better' either way.

I was only thinking about the offensive aspect of the curse vs. base intelligence and haven't consider the defensive aspect of having more intelligence. Thanks for the explanation about the usefulness of elemental weakness in this build.

Edit: I spec out of whisper of doom and was curious if the curse on hit from the glove is random. I expected to see some monsters cursed with EW and some with TC, but was surprised that in all cases only EW being applied. I don't know if it is because that EW is an implicit or that is a higher level curse than TC. Of the two, I definitely perfer EW.
Last edited by IchiMorghulis on Jul 11, 2016, 6:47:48 PM
"
IchiMorghulis wrote:
"

I was only thinking about the offensive aspect of the curse vs. base intelligence and haven't consider the defensive aspect of having more intelligence. Thanks for the explanation about the usefulness of elemental weakness in this build.

Edit: I spec out of whisper of doom and was curious if the curse on hit from the glove is random. I expected to see some monsters cursed with EW and some with TC, but was surprised that in all cases only EW being applied. I don't know if it is because that EW is an implicit or that is a higher level curse than TC. Of the two, I definitely perfer EW.

Yeah I had forgotten that aspect. I believe how it works is that each hit from your storm curses them with temp chains and then immediately replaces it with elemental weakness since thats the order of the curses on the item so in essence only the last curse matters.

Yeah level 11 elemental weakness probably better then level 1 temp chains. Temp chains combos well with the chill of the storm but more damage doesn't hurt and the curse is higher level
Hi,
awesome build for Whispering Ice, really diggin it.
I thought about a minor change for the endgame tree @ about lvl 90ish:
Endgame Variation

Drop the socket node near scion, reroute north of the templar area, pick up the socket there and invest one more point for the 30 dex node. Should result in: trade in 12% spell dmg for 8% ele dmg and 20 more Int. Worth it?
In acceptance of a bid, plz PM me.

IGN: AdNauseam
Last edited by the_Bur on Jul 13, 2016, 7:09:46 AM
I really love this guide and I decided to try it myself. So far I am 74 and love this build. The biggest downside so far for me is light radius. In dark maps it is really annoying, also it is sometimes hard to see traps in lab beacuse of it. I picked even Arcane Vision, but it is still an issue. Maybe when I get more ES it will be less an issue? Any other ideas how to deal with it?

Also how do You guys proc Elemental Overload in this build?

Ps. my profile is public so if You have any advices I will be glad.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info