D3 and PoE are practically the same

I spent quite some time on both games and like them for what they are. Despite the communities shitting on the opposite game whenever they can, both games belong to the same genre and sadly suffer from the same problems.

Trading
Trading in D3 is near non existent these days and when it happens, the player interaction is just not there. The same applies to PoE. We have to rely on a third party website and despite GGG claiming the opposite, there is barely any player interaction when it comes down to buying or selling your stuff.

"
Press the copy text to clipboard button

@RarePepe69 Hi, I'd like to buy your 142 chaos for my 2 exalted in Prophecy.

RarePepe69 has invited you into his party.

RarePepe69 has sent you a trade request.

t4t

RarePepe69 has left your party.

This is what happens most of the time. Try to negotiate? Get either ignored or blocked. Stumbled upon an player being offline although our beloved third party website said otherwise? No problem, try ten times more and after getting through the offline and afk's, you might get your item atlast.

Honestly, D3 had it better back in the day. I dont see why people are so against an ingame auction house, just make one that is entirely based on orbs, connect them to premium stash tabs or some other filter that prevents abuse by bots and let us trade our items right out of the box without the whole third party bullshit. I'm not gonna lie, but trading in this game really is frustrating and I am not even refering to the awful trade chats while saying this.

Most Unique items are not that unique
In D3, you'll find yourself instant salvaging most of the legendaries you find along the way. This also applies to PoE. Most Uniques are straight up vendor trash and if not are barely worth anything. While they drop less frequent than legendaries in D3, dropping one doesn't feel rewarding or is even worth listing most of the time.

Endgame farming
D3's endgame offers you grifts to farm. These have limited layouts, are pretty straight forward and are the best way for leveling your characters paragon. PoE's endgame is not that different. Maps are required at some point to make decent leveling process. The thing is, they do not scale and are seperated in 15 tiers. Sounds diverse, but it really is not. In reality, we grow out of the lower tiers real fast and are then forced to stick to T9-T12. While T13-T15 maps are harder, the reward compared to T9-T12 is simply shit. With the latest exp nerf, why would anyone even bother grinding T13+'s when you can just run lower tiers and get both, better exp and drops? D3 is not different. You don't play on the highest level your character can manage for most of the time, you are better off grinding some lower grifts because it is faster, not that risky and offers an overall better progress and the same and / or better rewards. In my opinion, both systems are boring. I would rather explore some dungeons with random encounters and bosses and not grind the same maps over and over again because it is the most efficient.

Build diversity aka the illusion of choice
D3's builds are gated behind absurd powerful legendaries and sets. There is not skill tree and most of the ability specific runes are outclassed by one or two that always get the job done better. The same applies to PoE to some extend. While we initially have more choices and freedom, most builds stick to the same formula because other choices are either inferior or gates behind some unique item. If you want to play a lowlife character you are basically forced to run Shavs or an equivalent or get your ass kicked by chaos damage. I wish things like this were part of the characters skilltree and not exclusive to some unique items. As the name states, unique items should be complementary to a build but not required to have to build around them just because there is no alternative. Ever wanted to play an lowlife ES based berserker? You can, but it will most likely be utter trash because of said restrictions. I'm also not gonna talk about the classic must haves such as cwdt, some sort of sustain and / or multiple charges.

The same applies to D3. Besides the usual sets that are hard to surpass in terms of raw power, we have the Legacy of Nightmare set. It opened up some build variety but made it so that these builds are gated behind ancient items (a rare, more powerful version of a normal item) and it also occupies both ring slots.

I could add some more but you get the point. While PoE offers more freedom than D3, both are restricting in their own ways. I guess the perfect game is just not possible after all. With that being said, I am done ranting. Enjoy.
Last bumped on Jul 5, 2016, 3:24:33 PM
That's a lot of text on a false set of statements. PC D3 does not have trading.
Original Inferno D3 was my favorite game of all time. Until carbear patch 1.3 you had to team up to get anywhere, you had to trade, elites scary as hell with enrage, with super healing, and fast. They had instant warp in act 4.

Can't really compare this one shot everything korean grind fest to it. Maybe today, I dont know.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jun 30, 2016, 4:58:47 PM
I've played both a lot and in no way shape or form is there any sort of trading in D3.

Grifts are not anywhere near to the same thing as maps and the builds that are viable in later games are WAAYYYY more diverse than D3.
D3 doesn't have trading

Gearing is far more diverse in POE, in D3 every single piece of gear is Legendary as they are simply better than rares, and the build is usually defined by what set you are wearing. In POE rares are often more powerful than uniques.

If you look for similarities you may well find them as they both stem from the same gene pool (ie ARPGs in general) but weirdly POE is more faithful than D3 to the D2 formula. You cite really bad examples with some really awkward reasoning of why the games are similar though.
"
Trading in D3 is near non existent these days...The same applies to PoE
practically the same...
applies to PoE to some extend...
Sounds diverse, but it really is not...

That is a lot of mental gymnastics. Top-level contortionist is you ask me.

"
to premium stash tabs or some other filter that prevents abuse by bots

You make it quick and automated, there is no way to make it bot free. You would loose more battles with bots.

you seem to not like the ARPG game loop: kill monster->get loot->repeat

I need more purple titles
They're not even remotely the same.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Another d3 threda, i bet we can reach at least 8 pages on this one.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"

The fact I hear you can gear up for T6 in 2-3 days is a bit of a joke. The game when I left WAS just melt monsters in 2 seconds and keep on farming just like here though. Korean grind fest.

Orginal D3 didnt have this problem. There was more strategy to fights. I remember shitting myself doing inferno elites let alone bosses back in vanilla 3-5 min long haul elite fights 15 min boss fights - if you ignored mechanics and didnt have a good crew with complementary supports, you'd get absolutely trashed. Fun Times. I wish I could go back in time.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jun 30, 2016, 5:10:36 PM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
"

The fact I hear you can gear up for T6 in 2-3 days is a bit of a joke. The game when I left WAS just melt monsters in 2 seconds and keep on farming just like here though. Korean grind fest.

Orginal D3 didnt have this problem. There was more strategy to fights. I remember shitting myself doing inferno elites let alone bosses back in vanilla, if you ignored mechanics and didnt have a good crew with complementary supports, you'd get absolutely trashed. Fun Times.

You can do t10s in a day if you're hardcore enough. If you get the buffed set the Blizzard chooeses for the season you're set for late game until you get your Buffed legendary sets, which is just better stats.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info