Seeking advice on 6 Linking.

So, I've finally settled on my Tornado Shot build using the Assassin tree and Reach of the Council. I've been attempting to make this league the one I finally fulfill some goals: kill Atziri, kill Pale Council, get first character to 90, complete 36 challenges, etc etc. I've always stopped before really getting to the end game. Heck, I've never even had a 6 link, outside of Tabula Rasa.

So, now that I've got my Reach, I can't seem to settle on how to go about 6 linking. It seems like I have three options.
-yolo fuse
-6 link prophecy
-Vorici 6 link

Now, I know both the prophecy and Vorici cost ~10ex(and I have about half of that at the moment). I'm stuck trying to decide between saving up and getting the guarantee somewhere down the road(if I get lucky with currency/drops), or just going at it with fusings and hope for the best.

What do you recommend? Is it worth the risk to fuse away, or should I just buckle down and save up that 10ex?
Last bumped on Jun 28, 2016, 11:52:25 PM
It's a very simple decision. You pay a fixed price to avoid risk, or you gamble. The average expected number of attempts for six-linking at 20% quality seems to be around 1200, or at least this is the general consensus, but this means nothing for single attempts.

As illustrated by my six-link logs from this league:

1. Belly (~300)
2. Carcass Jack (~200)
3. Cospri’s 1 - 2442 fuse
4. Cospri’s 2 - 129 fuse
5. Cospri’s 3 - 45 fuse
6. LC - 880
7. Lioneye’s - 346
8. Vaal Regalia - 756
9. Cospri’s 4 – 1600
10. Carcass 2 - 2834
11. Lioneye 2 - 668
12. Vaal Regalia 2 – 893
13. Lioneye 3 – 2110
14. Belly 2 – 665
15. Carcass 3 – 41
16. Shavs 1 - 2129 (still unlinked)

The choice is yours. As you can notice, some attempts are lucky or even extremely lucky but others are a bit painful. I prefer the gambling game as it's just more interesting. Others prefer to avoid risk.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
So the question for me is - would you be willing to share how you obtained 16,000 fusings to do all of this experimenting with?

I could definitely see the fun if you had plenty to spare...but I always chicken out and just buy. ;)
"
SasoriOtoko wrote:
So the question for me is - would you be willing to share how you obtained 16,000 fusings to do all of this experimenting with?

I could definitely see the fun if you had plenty to spare...but I always chicken out and just buy. ;)

If you average a 6-link in less fusings than a 6-link costs, then you can sell your extra 6-links to buy more fusings, and profit as a result.

Bars said himself he enjoys gambling, which means he's not afraid to blow his initial currency on fusings in order to start the positive feedback loop that "positive expected value" gambling gets you.

(any professional investor would consider *not* intentionally going for positive-expected-value gambling to be foolish. Of course, I am like you, Sasori, and am much too chicken for this)
Last edited by codetaku on Jun 28, 2016, 12:24:18 PM
"
SasoriOtoko wrote:

I six-link, I sell it, I use the currency for the next six-link project. It's more or less self-sustaining. Might be a net negative or net positive result depending on luck, of course. I had a good start with two lucky six-links this league. I haven't actually farmed for 16k fusings.

Just like playing a slot machine. I start doing this when I'm generally bored with the game and stop really playing - this league it was pretty quick.

@HikaruYukami: to make it not gambling and to actually rely on the average expected result, you have to reach many hundreds of attempts, even thousands. As this is impossible with six-links in a temp league, it's just gambling and nothing else.

Probability theory doesn't count for anything when you have less than a hundred attempts.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Jun 28, 2016, 12:33:42 PM
"
Bars wrote:
"
SasoriOtoko wrote:

I six-link, I sell it, I use the currency for the next six-link project. It's more or less self-sustaining. Might be a net negative or net positive result depending on luck, of course. I haven't actually farmed for 16k fusings.

Just like playing a slot machine. I start doing this when I'm generally bored with the game and stop really playing - this league it was pretty quick.

But like actually, have you considered becoming a professional investor? Once you figure out *how* to evaluate a gamble for positive expected value, all it takes is the courage to go for it :P
Hikaru: I answered you with an edit to my previous post. About becoming an investor: nope, I haven't. Also, it's easy to be brave when you don't give a fuck about the result - and I don't. I give away my stuff when the temp leagues end anyway. Really not a materialistic player.
"
Bars wrote:
It's a very simple decision. You pay a fixed price to avoid risk, or you gamble. The average expected number of attempts for six-linking at 20% quality seems to be around 1200, or at least this is the general consensus, but this means nothing for single attempts.

As illustrated by my six-link logs from this league:

1. Belly (~300)
2. Carcass Jack (~200)
3. Cospri’s 1 - 2442 fuse
4. Cospri’s 2 - 129 fuse
5. Cospri’s 3 - 45 fuse
6. LC - 880
7. Lioneye’s - 346
8. Vaal Regalia - 756
9. Cospri’s 4 – 1600
10. Carcass 2 - 2834
11. Lioneye 2 - 668
12. Vaal Regalia 2 – 893
13. Lioneye 3 – 2110
14. Belly 2 – 665
15. Carcass 3 – 41
16. Shavs 1 - 2129 (still unlinked)

The choice is yours. As you can notice, some attempts are lucky or even extremely lucky but others are a bit painful. I prefer the gambling game as it's just more interesting. Others prefer to avoid risk.

That's my issue really. I want to gamble, have some fun, and get lucky, but the more I fuse, the guiltier I feel. The struggle is real.
If you're going to try to do it on your own, you need backup gear. Using a 5L weapon, have another in your stash and try to link that one, at least you don't lose your ability to play every time you throw some fuses around. I known personally I will never use the Vorici method because I can't accumulate 1500 fusings. Hell I barely have 450 jewellers and 250 fusings in stash right now and I'm itching to spend it on something but have no idea what. Doesn't hurt as much if you don't hit right away if you know you're gambling over time on a random item.
"
Zinki wrote:

That's my issue really. I want to gamble, have some fun, and get lucky, but the more I fuse, the guiltier I feel. The struggle is real.

What I personally do when I start a league: I get my basic gear and a tabula. Depending on the build, it might be a cheap 5-link. Some builds aren't that demanding on the number of links. When I feel there are no item slots which really aggravate me as weak and I feel my character is doing reasonably well, I start pooling all my resources in fusings and six-linking. The first six-link is for my guy, the rest I sell.

Once you start with the fusings, there's no going back :P

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info