Alternatives to GGG's leveling penalties?

"
Hemmingfish wrote:
They could just not care. Hitting 100 is far past being a mythical goal and nobody seems to really care that it's obtainable other than GGG, just because Diablo 2 did it. The people who are currently hitting 100 are going to do it regardless of how they decide to artificially slow down the rate, especially with them wanting to add higher content.

+1 signed,

Really don't see the point of 100 being such a stretch goal.
GGG needs to give a better goal for end game then this mythical grindfest that only hurts the players who have jobs and family to juggle.

Solution is to give daily exp diminishing curve, in example:
- 1st hour of playtime (not counting when siting in town) 150% exp rate
- 2nd hour 125% exp rate
- 3rd hour 100% exp rate
- 4th hour 75% exp rate
- 5th hour 50% exp rate
- 6th or higher 25% exp rate

So you basicaly tell people that playing for 3-5 hours a day is optimal (5 hours is avarange 100% exp rate per hour), after that you better take care of your real life or prepare for grind. If no-lifers want it harder, thats the way to go, without actualy penalizing and annoying the more common crowd, so casual players. Also it will be much more healthy for leagues if they make race where people that cant spend 24/7 playing games, still have some chance to compete.
"
herflik wrote:
Solution is to give daily exp diminishing curve, in example:
- 1st hour of playtime (not counting when siting in town) 150% exp rate
- 2nd hour 125% exp rate
- 3rd hour 100% exp rate
- 4th hour 75% exp rate
- 5th hour 50% exp rate
- 6th or higher 25% exp rate

So you basicaly tell people that playing for 3-5 hours a day is optimal (5 hours is avarange 100% exp rate per hour), after that you better take care of your real life or prepare for grind. If no-lifers want it harder, thats the way to go, without actualy penalizing and annoying the more common crowd, so casual players. Also it will be much more healthy for leagues if they make race where people that cant spend 24/7 playing games, still have some chance to compete.

I think this is the best idea except maybe make up to 6 hours 100% exp but have it drop by 20% per hour thereafter because at the moment overleveling is crazy.
I'm up to Chamber of Sins and am going to have to run to The Catacombs to get back on level because I stopped to do some prophecies and because I like to take my time and explore the game.
So I think this end needs work too something like min to max levels for each zone where the min is the "runner" exp level while max would be for the guys (like me) who like to take time to clear levels first run through and do all the side-quests etc.
"
DalaiLama wrote:
When I read this response, my immediate reaction was that it seemed better than GGG's planned solution for slowing down leveling. My second reaction was that the Path of Exile community probably has some good ideas that GGG could take into consideration when they next implement any kind of XP adjustments.

I wonder what percentage of players are trying to be "competitive" on the ladder vs just wanting to level and make their characters powerful. Is the number of players who want to struggle for the top ladder positions significant enough to penalize all the other players of Path of Exile?

What sort of XP adjustments would you suggest GGG make to keep new leagues competitive and maintain what you personally feel is the spirit of the game?
that will depend on how GGG decide, since it their goal is to stop these guys from being too fast.

Fatigue system still doesnt stop these guy from being top, just slower for them. They are still racing. A casual playing 1-4hours on 1 char is still gonna be slower than any these guys anyway.

IMO it is still better to have a fatigue system than keep adjusting those map exp ratio every time new content come out. It is already second time they adjust this thing, if they release new content, they are going to keep adjusting these again and again? uhhh

"
Just fucking buff red map exp by a ten fold like I don't understand why that is hard since yellows still shit on reds for EXP. All of my ''top tier'' friends just spam gorges still for 20 hours every single fucking day lol
Calm down son lol. Thats the second part i didnt type-in the other day because I want keep it from simple not Tl:dr.

If GGG actually introduce fatigue system, that means there is no need to debuff those red maps exp anymore to slow down those "top guys". The fatigue system pretty much "take care" of them. Red map can be buff back to former state.

"
herflik wrote:
that is if that no-lifer really want to push that ONLY char he has or he is racing.

If the fatigue system is only applied on per character basis, and he hates those penalty, he could choose reroll a second character while his main character is on "cool down".
Last edited by Darkkrows on Jun 29, 2016, 4:24:38 AM
"
Darkkrows wrote:

"
herflik wrote:
that is if that no-lifer really want to push that ONLY char he has or he is racing.

If the fatigue system is only applied on per character basis, and he hates those penalty, he could choose reroll a second character while his main character is on "cool down".

The system would be indeed only applied per character basis.
GGG want to stop people from reaching 100 lvl fast with means you gotta play single character to do for extended periods of time, so the whole idea revolve around stoping such activity.
Amount of hours and exp rates are to discuess, I wanted only to show some concept of how it might work.
Just to make it clear: when would the penalty be reset? At the same time as Master dailies?
Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 26, 2016, 8:27:15 PM
GGG assessed the problem correctly, but their fix (along with bloodlines mod-WTF) made little sense- UNLESS there are huge changes to map system coming in next expansion (which scares me, tbh, with the way the game has gone in last half a year)

I agree with GGG red maps should be rare, exciting. Then what was the point of nerfing xp on them ? This gives people a wrong impression and condition them that their red maps they don't get often, are worth LESS than the t8s t9s and t10s. That's just wrong.

I also agree that getting to 100 is very optional thing that should have a hard road.

So isn't the painfully obvious thing is to just severaly increase xp penalty at arbitrary level, say in late 80s/early 90s/mid 90s ?

I mean, it solves all problems without making red maps less exciting.

the less painfully obvious, but still obvious thing is to either nerf xp on linear layout maps or nerf drop rate of linear layout maps and its children (ie 1x3 map recipe). make the efficient options artificially less efficient to facilitate choice.
Last edited by grepman on Jun 29, 2016, 6:20:52 PM
"
Entropic_Fire wrote:
Normal players play red maps.

Racers chain gorges.

GGG wants to slow down racers.

GGG nerfs red maps.

well, I understand racers chaining gorges- they all play whatevers absolutely most efficient

but whats funny is that we have some people chaining georges- same people who have been masquerading that the only reason they dont do higher maps is that they are gated, yadda yadda. but- turned out they are all about 'muh efficiency'

so indirectly, if theres a good thing that came out of this debacle, it was a great way to expose hypocrisy and take some remaining masks off. vast majority of people (non-racers) on here care only about efficiency even if they hate grinding (lol), and are interested in getting (given) as much as possible if not more loot.

Really, honestly, the whole thing with nerfing experience is another GGG blunder, imo.

The great majority of POE players just don't care about the top streamers getting there, nor the rich OP players either.

If the fanboy supplied/paid streamers get to lvl 100 in a few days, so what?

Is that going to affect the rest of the thousands of ordinary players on POE?

Nope...not at all.

Who the hell cares!

There are so many more important issues with this game that GGG needs to address.

If they [GGG] just concentrated on the big problems and stopped fracking around with crappy nerfs the game would be better....for everyone, including GGG.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info