Alternatives to GGG's leveling penalties?

"
vio wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

There simply is no incentive to do hard content - besides pure testing of course

i can only guess as ggg isn't communicating much about it and i'm not the person hammering chris with mails, the way i see it:

yellow maps: good xp, endless grind but no end game items drop
red maps: bad xp, occasional grind but a chance to get top tier rare items

so where is the problem ggg's intention of splitting that up?

The problem is, if you know what you're doing, you'll be geared up quite quickly and not really need more items. So, if you want to level, you'll have to grind yellows. Not to mention that canyon/lake/gorge/plateau runs are probably more profitable than reds even if you only care about farming. You can easily slap some magicfind gear on, speedclear them and only do the unidentified regal recipe + identifying only a few very best bases like diamond rings, leather belts, vaal regalia, hubris circlets and titanium spirit shields. I'm almost positive this will be better farming than red maps, and not luck-dependent too.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Are we talking skyforth here? LMAO I have worst RNG in this game. 4 exalt drops in like two years and like 3 cheap T1s so I dont bank on high level drops whatsoever. It would be nice though if that were true. Nevertheless 99% of good drops can drop in gorge which you can do much faster...about 2-3x than 15s so you will get richer as well.

Actually you lose money running 14+ IME. just to maintain costs 15-25C a map you usually don't recoup before funds expire.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jun 28, 2016, 5:53:47 AM
I had an idea, I've seen it done before, although honestly I don't know if it fits within Path of Exile.

The idea is that they're trying to slow down the really active players, but unfortunately the casuals and all the other people suffer too.

What if, they offered xp boosts for inactivity?
To figure out the balance, would be insanely difficult, but I imagine doable.

You'd still want the most active players to benefit the most.
But say, for every hour of inactivity, you gain an exponentially higher Xp boost?
Say if you're inactive for 16 Hours, by that point, you'd gain say a 3.2% Effective Level raise in all areas? (This is just a random set of numbers based on the fact 80.2 went down to 77.7 and 3.2 divided by 16 perfectly so I was coolies).

You'd want it to cap out however, at probably that point. It would say taper off like 4 times faster, so after 2 hours all bonuses are lost, and during those two hours they slowly became less apparent or something?

This would mean you could allow casual players to still find it a tiny bit easier. But it would also keep the players facing hard into the race at a point where they both have the advantage, but in a balanced way that GGG wants.

I feel like there's possibility for this to go the wrong way, like things such as xp weekends and shit. But I trust GGG to do things right, if say the used this idea.
IGN: Ikbosh
They could just not care. Hitting 100 is far past being a mythical goal and nobody seems to really care that it's obtainable other than GGG, just because Diablo 2 did it. The people who are currently hitting 100 are going to do it regardless of how they decide to artificially slow down the rate, especially with them wanting to add higher content.
"
Hemmingfish wrote:
They could just not care. Hitting 100 is far past being a mythical goal and nobody seems to really care that it's obtainable other than GGG, just because Diablo 2 did it. The people who are currently hitting 100 are going to do it regardless of how they decide to artificially slow down the rate, especially with them wanting to add higher content.

+1
signed everyword of this post.
I kept saying that GGG needs to incentivize and reward the journey to level 100. As someone who's made it to level 100, I found it really soul sucking and frankly a waste of time. GGG doesn't even have an in game achievement for it.

With this xp nerf they have it makes no sense to push levels, and all it does is artificially shorten the game because players will quit at an arbitrary level much lower than they did in the past because pushing levels is just not worth it.

I think if they offered some sort of unique mtx to people who reached level 100, there would actually be a reason to do it. Everyone would all of sudden want the sexy new mtx for reaching level 100, and it would extend the end game content quite a bit further because it gives people a goal.

I don't understand GGG's mentality that getting level 100 is a bad thing, this game has always been about leveling characters. If there was a reason to get to 100, more people would do it.

"
I kept saying that GGG needs to incentivize and reward the journey to level 100. As someone who's made it to level 100, I found it really soul sucking and frankly a waste of time. GGG doesn't even have an in game achievement for it.

With this xp nerf they have it makes no sense to push levels, and all it does is artificially shorten the game because players will quit at an arbitrary level much lower than they did in the past because pushing levels is just not worth it.

I think if they offered some sort of unique mtx to people who reached level 100, there would actually be a reason to do it. Everyone would all of sudden want the sexy new mtx for reaching level 100, and it would extend the end game content quite a bit further because it gives people a goal.

I don't understand GGG's mentality that getting level 100 is a bad thing, this game has always been about leveling characters. If there was a reason to get to 100, more people would do it.

Good, GGG might put in some more big ass incentives that everyone would ever dream for in Labyrinth grinds. Since only a very few vocal minority don't like Labs. The silence core majority all love them anyways... it's a win win.
The real hardcore PoE players and the elites sit in town and zoning in and out of their hideouts trading items. Noobs that don't know how to play PoE correctly, kill monsters for items. It's pure fact, it will never change.

Welcome to PoE.
Last edited by Pewzor on Jun 28, 2016, 8:05:21 AM
Games like this need grails. Quests with no real purpose other than completing them. If you can hit 100 in a matter of weeks/months... it's not a grail. Grails are quests players put on themselves that can take years to accomplish. They don't provide "bonus" and they're their own reward for completing them.

GGG wants 100 to be a grail, not something that all characters are expected to complete.
"
Bars wrote:
"
vio wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

There simply is no incentive to do hard content - besides pure testing of course

i can only guess as ggg isn't communicating much about it and i'm not the person hammering chris with mails, the way i see it:

yellow maps: good xp, endless grind but no end game items drop
red maps: bad xp, occasional grind but a chance to get top tier rare items

so where is the problem ggg's intention of splitting that up?

The problem is, if you know what you're doing, you'll be geared up quite quickly and not really need more items. So, if you want to level, you'll have to grind yellows. Not to mention that canyon/lake/gorge/plateau runs are probably more profitable than reds even if you only care about farming. You can easily slap some magicfind gear on, speedclear them and only do the unidentified regal recipe + identifying only a few very best bases like diamond rings, leather belts, vaal regalia, hubris circlets and titanium spirit shields. I'm almost positive this will be better farming than red maps, and not luck-dependent too.

http://currency.poe.trade/search?league=Prophecy&online=x&want=14&have=4

Regal recipe is bad. People selling them are trying to get 1:1 chaos and there isn't much demand. Chaos recipe is way better.

I agree that red maps need to be the best for xp though. There should be no point 90+ where you get the same or less xp for a red as for a yellow. The xp penalty definitely needs work and the effective level nerf to red maps should be undone. I'd also like to see the layouts and density improved on T15 maps. Every T15 I've run has been tiny and/or had terrible mob density.
Quick Idea?

They should make 100 easier, and put another 100 'Hero' Level's on top.

Each of this 'Hero' Levels gives 0.1% MORE Life,Damage and Defence.

This would be a new Goal for Streamers and 24/7 players.

Casuals like me, can set normal 100 as their personal Goal, and mybe wont stop at 85-90 and reroll.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info