Alternatives to GGG's leveling penalties?

When I read this response, my immediate reaction was that it seemed better than GGG's planned solution for slowing down leveling. My second reaction was that the Path of Exile community probably has some good ideas that GGG could take into consideration when they next implement any kind of XP adjustments.

"
Darkkrows wrote:
"
Chris wrote:
We want to strike a good balance between rewarding progression and a race to 100 that isn't over in ten days each league.
Then you guys should implement Exp fatigue system. The faster the exp a player gain, the more exp penalty he will receive.(and you balance this system around the top players) They still can race within the fatigue system, exp bar still move just slower.

quite a number of MMO implement this trick to stop the no-lifer from leveling 1 character too quick & this system does not punish the more casual players who do not have 14-16hours a day to play the game but still wanted to go max level & have some progression.

I wonder what percentage of players are trying to be "competitive" on the ladder vs just wanting to level and make their characters powerful. Is the number of players who want to struggle for the top ladder positions significant enough to penalize all the other players of Path of Exile?

What sort of XP adjustments would you suggest GGG make to keep new leagues competitive and maintain what you personally feel is the spirit of the game?

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last bumped on Jul 1, 2016, 9:48:32 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Just fucking buff red map exp by a ten fold like I don't understand why that is hard since yellows still shit on reds for EXP. All of my ''top tier'' friends just spam gorges still for 20 hours every single fucking day lol
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Something is wrong with yellows. I never got 2% per at 95 like now. Reds seems nerfed 50%. Actually 15 or 9 git 1-2% a map. Thats fucked up.

I agree with Chris 100% though about longevity.

9's shouldnt be giving my 95 anything.

15's 2-3%

Accomplishes goal what chris has in mind without making hard content feel worthless.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jun 28, 2016, 3:11:29 AM
(Context: My post on Page 2 of the announcement: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1693152/page/2)

For me, I'd just like to see incentive for doing higher level content. As it stands now, there is no point to go to a Red Map when you can sell it and buy a Gorge. Period.

The announcement had some vague/contradictory statements (in my opinion) with the direction of the game and the direction that they are choosing to take with this XP. Examples:

Vague Statement: "We've found that players who aim for max level enjoy a harder grind to reach this goal."

What the hell does this even mean? How do you even determine this? Do you send them a survey and ask "hey, when you wipe the drool off your keyboard from Gorge spam, can you answer these questions?" Does harder grind equate to a longer grind? Or does harder grind equate to actually doing T13/14/15? If it is the latter, for solo players, how can this be achieved?

Contradictory Direction: "Over time, players have become both better at building characters, better at playing to maximise experience and have more powerful tools at their disposal. The race to 100 gets faster and faster each league." (As justification for XP changes)

Well, no fucking shit! Let's take a step back to 1.3 and compare to now. List of things that were added:

- Jewels (OP as fuck, 2 skill points for waaaay more than what 2 skill points could get you that wasn't a Notable or Keystone)
- Updated Passive Tree changes, primarily shit like Poison/Chaos
- Double dipping, which result from theme for Poison/Chaos, Jewels, etc
- The obsession from GGG that every Support gem must be a "More" Support Gem, or change existing Support Gems for "More." Say it with me. Mooooooooore. Must have more DPS. #thirst
- Skill gems like BV, EQ, whatever else to name a few
- Ascendancy Class Points 1-6
- Ofc Ascendancy Class Points 7-8 now with this new content

Of course your character is going to be stronger. Is anyone shocked at this? So when shit is trivial, except things like the highest content, the solution was... to make said high content 3 levels in XP higher than running a Gorge. Before 2.3, a Gorge was 5c and a Core Map was 45c in Standard. So for 1/9th the cost, I get 96% of the experience, at less than 1/9th the risk.

Mfw:

It doesn't even take a fucking asian like me (trust me we love efficiency) to figure out that sitting back and running a Yellow map in a couple of minutes is the way to go.

============================================================================

When I initially heard about XP changes coming in 2.3, I was super excited. I ran out every Canyon/Gorge/Plat/Lake in Standard and prepped my Red Maps (I was already doing them anyways) for when I got bored with the temp league. Then this got announced.

I have no idea why this was the direction of the changes. As the moment there is no reason to push for levels in my opinion.

/e

I also want to add, for people who are gonna go (nasal voice) "but Sarang, Perandus had so many 100's we need nerf pls xD"

Think about the context of the league. A fat man handing you free shit. The American dream, even if this is a game based out of Australia. People got powered up so fast in that league, it was nothing like I'd seen before. No shit a lot of people hit 100, that league was easily THE league to play if you wanted basically sandbox access to whatever build. Player retention had to be high throughout that one. Even if there were no XP changes in Prophecy, I wouldn't expect those numbers to be close.
Fake Temp League Elitists LUL
Last edited by _Saranghaeyo_ on Jun 28, 2016, 3:15:33 AM
haha Saranghaeyo your post made me laugh..they prolly talking to elite 100s streamers and such is my guess who wanted more exclusivity/harder. GGG went wrong way about it through. As you said 1/9th cost and risk for 96% exp of a 15 map. Not even counting TIME.. Yellows are way better exp/time. I can do gorge in <3min, core ~9min if i dont die.
Git R Dun!
"
even if this is a game based out of Australia.

Australia? Australia! This game is from New Zealand not Australia
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
haha Saranghaeyo your post made me laugh..they prolly talking to elite 100s streamers and such is my guess who wanted more exclusivity/harder. GGG went wrong way about it through. As you said 1/9th cost and risk for 96% exp of a 15 map. Not even counting TIME.. Yellows are way better exp/time. I can do gorge in <3min, core ~9min if i dont die.

Called it at the start of the league: xp penalty is a fuck-up, uber lab/trials are a fuck-up. Eagerly awaiting to add this to my long list of 'I told you so' :)
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
"
Bars wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

Called it at the start of the league: xp penalty is a fuck-up, uber lab/trials are a fuck-up. Eagerly awaiting to add this to my long list of 'I told you so' :)

I told you first few days because I decided to sit this one out and just fart around in std how bad it was gonna be.

"
92 here...Playing around in std cos league sucks and with unlimited money and maps and i'm literally only getting 2% from 15s...used to be like 4%. Just wait... complaints about to roll in.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1684609

What I didnt know is yellows would be just as good (or bad as the case may be lol) There simply is no incentive to do hard content - besides pure testing of course
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jun 28, 2016, 3:56:08 AM
Yeah, I'm not claiming I'm the only one who saw it, it's quite obvious. So obvious, in fact, that I am at a complete loss how or why GGG thought it would be a good idea. Sadly, not the first and probably not the last time I'll be scratching my head like that.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

There simply is no incentive to do hard content - besides pure testing of course

i can only guess as ggg isn't communicating much about it and i'm not the person hammering chris with mails, the way i see it:

yellow maps: good xp, endless grind but no end game items drop
red maps: bad xp, occasional grind but a chance to get top tier rare items

so where is the problem ggg's intention of splitting that up?
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info