What skills/spells are considered to be a "Buff"?

I am asking as I have a Templar, with a very defensive/tank/party damage reduction build. For now I am working on Endurance Charge nodes, Armor %, Health %, Shield block %, resistances etc however I am wondering what is defined as a "buff"? Are charges (endurance, power and frenzy) defined as a buff, or is it just skills like Warlord's Mark?

I've asked in this forum as this a general question and not necessarily only relevant to the Templar. Having said this, any other tips for my build would be appreciated. I'm going with 1h (undecided what type)/shield.
Last edited by maxwolfie on Jan 17, 2012, 8:56:04 PM
Charges are not considered buffs. Right now, I think Blood Rage and Immortal Call are the only two buff skills.
Keyblades!
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
I am hoping to get some changes in to make this more understandable by the player, but for now (hoping I haven't missed any):

Skills causing buffs/debuffs (affected by both buff duration and skill duration):
Immortal Call
Blood Rage
Phase Run
All curses
Viper Strike
Explosion Arrow
Poison Arrow (The poison debuff that the cloud puts on monsters)
Infernal Blow (technically, and likely to change - it affects the duration after the hit that they'll explode if they die)
Lightning Warp

Skills with a Duration (affected by skill duration only):
Firestorm
Frost Wall
Spark
Poison Arrow (the duration of the cloud)
Domination Blow (duration of the revived enemies)

Yes poison arrow is in both lists: it has two durations.
Note that spells which give you frenzy/endurance/power charges are not affected by these.
Skills are not buffs. Skills are things you do, buffs are things which a placed on an entity and grant it some stats. Some skills create buffs, but they are not buffs themselves.

Under current implementation of some things, what counts as a buff depends slightly on context.

The passive skills which increase buff effect apply to all visible buffs (but not debuffs or charges) placed on your character - if it brings up one of those little squares in the upper left and it's good for you, then it will be affected. This includes such things as the buffs created by casting blood rage, phase run, and immortal call.

The passive skills which increase buff and debuff duration apply not to buffs on you but to buffs (including debuffs) you create, either on yourself or other entities. This includes all the above as well as such things as the debuffs placed on cursed monsters.

Last edited by Mark_GGG on Jan 17, 2012, 11:08:08 PM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
The passive skills which increase buff effect apply to all visible buffs (but not debuffs) placed on your character - if it brings up one of those little squares in the upper left and it's good for you, then it will be affected. This includes such things as the buffs created by casting blood rage, phase run, and immortal call.

Just to clarify, charges bring up a square in the corner, but are not considered buffs.
"
Malice wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
The passive skills which increase buff effect apply to all visible buffs (but not debuffs) placed on your character - if it brings up one of those little squares in the upper left and it's good for you, then it will be affected. This includes such things as the buffs created by casting blood rage, phase run, and immortal call.

Just to clarify, charges bring up a square in the corner, but are not considered buffs.
Dammit, I knew there'd be something I missed there. Technically, they are, but they don't have any effect to increase, so nothing happens. I'll update my previous post to exclude charges
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Jan 17, 2012, 11:07:52 PM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

The passive skills which increase buff effect apply to all visible buffs (but not debuffs or charges) placed on your character - if it brings up one of those little squares in the upper left and it's good for you, then it will be affected. This includes such things as the buffs created by casting blood rage, phase run, and immortal call.

What will the increased effect actually do for these skills? Which part (or even both) of Phase Rune is improved? How do you improve on being invulnerable from Immortal Call, etc.
"
What will the increased effect actually do for these skills? Which part (or even both) of Phase Rune is improved? How do you improve on being invulnerable from Immortal Call, etc.
All numerical values are increased. So both parts of phase run benefit.
Boolean states like invulnerable can't be "increased" so there will be no noticeable difference.
Sounds pretty good for a Tempest Shield build, increasing the damage dealt and the amount of block given. Wonder if you could hit the block cap now with that and the new passives?
"
Sounds pretty good for a Tempest Shield build, increasing the damage dealt and the amount of block given. Wonder if you could hit the block cap now with that and the new passives?
It won't increase the damage dealt by tempest shield, because that isn't part of the buff. The skill does two things: grants a buff that increases your block chance, and separately deals damage to things you block attacks from. The damage is part of the skill, but is completely separate from the buff.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info