Death Penalties

What if you have no money
Cheaper than free... Speedtree
You die bitch!

Mercenaries would take a % of your gold on your dead character. Or items.

What if you don't have or want any alts, or any friends?

Why you gotta make the penalty so complicated for...

It isnt complicated since an alt. level 1 can make it.

I explained the idea behind my suggestion:
- To make the revive cooldown entirely depending on player's action/choices. Death would truly be part of the game. Not just a little parenthese.
- To bring something very unique to the game.

This suggestion of mine is really experimental, you have to be open minded and think what it will be in game and what fun it can brings.
I don't like the usual system of death in online rpg. You just revive instantly near a portal or after a little cooldown, sometimes, it makes you drop a bit amount of gold.
Diablo 2 evolved this concept to something - I think - more entertaining in which you have to get to your corpse to fully recover the amount of gold that remains onto it.
Or choose to be cautious and to restart map to get back your items without xp losses but having lost a good amount of gold.

And I dont know for you guyz but sometimes in Diablo 2 my dead character was encircled by monsters and nevertheless I wanted to get there, I hired my buddy mercenary to help me out!

Let's imagine if the guy behind Diablo deaths viewpoint was posting his idea on forum and some people were asking stuff like:
- if I have to poop but before I poop I wana drink milk, do you think I still have time to hire mercenaries?
- and what if i'm half way to me dead body and my girlfriend drop pregnant??
- Its too complicated...

Of course you don't have to like my suggestion. I myself say that this is pretty experimental and that If by any chance it appeals the dev, I know that to make it work out it'll need a good amount of testing, feedbacks, polish etc.
My post has gotten a bit long, so I shall list the sections

1. Firstly I give my reason for apprehension at Sloul's idea
2. A couple of possible improvements to it
3. Since my original post on this topic I have had time to think on it more and have expanded my views, similar to a number of others that have been posted.

My problem was less with the idea, it's true it is a new one.

It's the fact you have to log out, change characters, log in, somehow get to the place you other character died, hire a mercenary then go out, making sure to stay WELL away from monsters if they are higher level than your alt, telling the mercenary to get to fighting and killing the monster(s) that were too strong for your other character (meaning the mercenary is stronger than your other character?) and then resuscitating your character, logging off, log back on your first character.

It's very round-about.

As an improvement to your idea I would suggest something along these lines.

1. You could come back as a partially corporeal ghost, much like those you fight against in-game, with a portion of your normal power but also some extra ghostly resistance, and as a ghost coerce one of these mercenaries to help you return to your mortal body.

2. You return as a ghost and have a number of mercenary types to choose to haunt/inhabit, using them to return to you body, enter it and resuscitate it.

These line up nicely with the lore that in Wraeclast the dead return easily(zombies and ghosts all over the place) and mean the player doesn't have to break their gaming experience by leaving and coming back with another character.

Hopefully you like the ideas, but still my feeling when it comes to death is that systems where you have to return to your body can only make a bad situation where you have died once worse by making a deadly fight more deadly.

1. Removal of tangible things such as gold, item durability or exp give the player a punishment and allow them to continue on immediately.

2. Penalties to character power for a time period make the player take a 'time out' or go to a lower level area.

3. Forced 'time out' makes the player take a break.

From these, each could be the only penalty, or 1&2, or 1&3.

These penalties will ensure the player will try their best to avoid death, but won't rage and quit at hoe frustrating it is.
"
Zephyroth wrote:
1. You could come back as a partially corporeal ghost ...
2. You return as a ghost and have a number of mercenary types to choose to haunt/inhabit, using them to return to you body, enter it and resuscitate it.

Great idea. But I would still keep one or few more options - EXP loss, etc.
"I am The Banisher, the ill will that snuffs the final candle." - Seal of Doom (MTG)
"

That one is pretty good!

just DONT add item loss upon death..all else is fine...no1 likes to lose items :D
"
just DONT add item loss upon death..all else is fine...no1 likes to lose items :D

There gonna be leagues where you gonna loose items on death.
Yet the standard leagues dont do that.

If you are gona put portals in this game then for penalties you should, have loss of exp in some way, lowered Dameg/defence/drop rate of some kind, for some amount of time. if it happens that u die while on penalty you should get 10-20% more on your penalty.

or the player cant use portals for a while say 5-10 min + 10-20% lowered dameg and defence for 10-15 min.

Drop on Exp and item drop rate decreases and u cant use portal for 10-15 min

if you want to be real horrible you can put the penalty as this, you cant use ceartin skills for 10-25 min, your dameg and defence decreases by 5-15%, exp and drop rate decreases for 10-20% and u cant use portal for 10 min.

You should only put penalty in the game if you want players to be good at killing :) and if you want them to learn not to die the penalty should be very high, now the last penalty is the most extream :), this is for the badast of the bad.

10-20% lowered Defence/Dameg, 20-25% lowered drop and exp rate, you cant use portals for 20-30 min, ur crit strikes are down to 1-5% chance for 10 min, 20-30% random of the skills are disabled for 20 min, attack range lowered by 10%.

XD choose anyone of these examples :D they rock :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info