Death Penalties

"
Knacck wrote:
... your weapons,armor and gems take a penalty. Making them weaker and dieing to many times without repairs they will be destroyed.

+1

There is a game running almost 6 years now, and despite serious amount of hackers and trades for real-cash, Devs made it by selling many cheap Cash Shop items, made in a way so that Cash Shop users can sell those items in their private shops for in-game currency. That way it is available to almost any player, and sales - obviously - sum up to nice money! Cash Shop item that would fix broken / partialy broken items for cheap is the way to go, especially if item stats are negatively affected after dying.
"I am The Banisher, the ill will that snuffs the final candle." - Seal of Doom (MTG)
How about, when you die, you lose XP and the monster who killed you becomes a boss monster? The monster gains your lost XP, so that any one who kills it gains your lost XP plus the monster's original XP.

Although this would be cool, I see no interest in having death penality applied in the default league. This would be more of a ressource(gold,time,XP, etc) waster than anything else.
Greetings mortal, are you ready to die?
There should definitely be some sort of penalty though it doesn't have to be a big one.

When you die you could be forced to drop half your inventory by volume (above a certain point). The player can choose what to drop. That way equipped items are safe and players don't need to worry about losing that sweet item they just found. There's always the possibility of the player having to make some tough decisions.

If you allow the player to choose what they lose then it doesn't feel like such a penalty. You could even let the player choose between XP and items.
Forum Sheriff
Don't Make the Penalty Too Severe
I quit playing ultimate online (many years ago) because the death penalty was too severe. In ultima online other people could loot your corpse if you didn't get back to it in time. My ISP had an issue, so I lost everything I had (I lost all the gear I built up over a few months of play).

So What Is a 'Fair' Penalty?
Most games give you an xp loss, and a durability loss. The severity depends on the level of the character. I think making a person loose their corpse is fine, but I think its unfair to let others loot (unless it's consensual, like in hardcore play where you die and your friend can loot your corpse so you can start over).
I was thinking of something really unique.

If one of your character die. He needs to be resuscitated by another player near his corpse.
But if the player was playing alone at the time he died, yet he can:
a) call for friends to get to his dead body location and help him out.
b) do it by himself by loging in another of his character.
I know "b)" sounds weird but think about it.
The cooldown of your reviving would totally depends on you or on your friends.
In both case, you or your friends would need the adequat gemes into items.

Resuscitating someone can take times, and it evolves a big amount of magic flow which can bring the attention of nearby monsters.
You also have the choice to cast an alternate resucitating ritual which will be longer (1min30 instead of 35seconds?) but will less likely appeal monsters.

If you're doing it alone and the way to your dead body is not clear enough for your alt. character. Then, another option would be to buy the services of a local mercenary agency in town.
Those mercenaries will fallow your alternate character to the location of your dead body.
That sounds very complicated. I don't think the average player would want to go through all that trouble.
Forum Sheriff
what if you have one high level char and no friends that play on your league.
Cheaper than free... Speedtree
"
If you're doing it alone and the way to your dead body is not clear enough for your alt. character. Then, another option would be to buy the services of a local mercenary agency in town.
Those mercenaries will fallow your alternate character to the location of your dead body.

Did you actually read my message? :/
"Those mercenaries will fallow your alternate character to the location of your dead body."

"what if you have one high level char " Did you read what I said. I hope your not suggesting having some OP as merc run round one shotting monsters till you get to your body so you can do this with a level 2.
Cheaper than free... Speedtree
Yes mercenaries shoot at side, so yes, you can do it at level 2. Since this suggestion is the alternate way I found if the player was playing alone and if his alt. characters were not enough stronger to get to the corpse.
Keep in mind, that you have to buy out those mercenaries and that they'll leave as soon as the character is rescucitated.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info