Mechanical Questions Thread

Does item quality above 20% further increase the probability to achieve more sockets and links with jewelers and fusings?
Online delenda est:
When the lifecycle of PoE will draw to an end many years from now,
there needs to be a final patch making it available offline.
Hey guys.

I was hoping you would be so helpful to enlighten me in regard to a few thoughts I've been having, as i can't find anything related to these on the Wiki.

So, to make it "short", i was wondering the following

How is Poison calculated when in relation to;

1. Is there a concept of poison "pools"
I.e: lets for the sake of argument assume that "Ability 1" is able to apply a max count of 40 poison stacks and you have an "Ability 2" which is capable of applying lets say 20 poison stacks.
- Will these poison stacks be accumulated into the same "pool" of total amount of poison stacks (1 instance of 60) or will there exist 1 "pool" of poisons with 40 and another "pool" of 20? (2 instances of 40 and 20).

The reason why i am asking this, is that i was in the belief that any poison instance applied AFTER reaching the total max allowed poison stacks on a monster, would be prioritized based off of the highest damaging physical hit.
Thus in return would overwrite any lower damaging instance of poison.

In other words:

What happens when a new poison stack is applied after reaching the maximum stack count? (Based off of Poison Duration*Hits per Second)

I'm not sure where i read this, but i was almost ready to eat a hat on this claim. I know this is similar to how bleed and ignite works but i know they are not calculated the same.
I've asked on Reddit aswell to no avail, other than being mocked for thinking poison is in the same category as bleed and ignite, which i know isn't the case already.

Kindest Regards

Yuno.

PS. Sorry for the formatting, i hope i was able to make my self articulate enough to get the questions across.
"
Yunojelly wrote:
What happens when a new poison stack is applied after reaching the maximum stack count? (Based off of Poison Duration*Hits per Second)
The Wiki states that there is no limit to the number off poison stack a monster can have.
Online delenda est:
"
Xeledon2132 wrote:
"
Yunojelly wrote:
The Wiki states that there is no limit to the number off poison stack a monster can have.

Obviously, mechanically there is no limit. but if you bothered to understand the equation i presented:

Poison Duration * Hits per Second

This creates the limit i am referring to.

Atm my maximum count of poison stacks from my BV build reaches 44.
5.98s poison duration * 7.5 hits per second =).

Question still valid.
Now I get what you mean with the allowed maximum.
That concept doesn't seem to be useful with regard to your question.

All poison stacks are independent. No poison ever replaces another. You'll just keep adding new stacks while the oldest ones expire. How much damage they are dealing does not factor into it.
Online delenda est:
"
That concept doesn't seem to be useful with regard to your question.

But it is?

I've experienced that during a prolonged boss fight 2 things happen:

I reach my maximum poisons stacks limited to Poison duration * Hits per second.

Suddenly, whilst continuously attacking the same monster, a burst happens and my poisons gradually deal even more damage, even after reaching my maximum stacks.

This is easy to test, standing still fighting the same monster for a period of 5.98 seconds would dictate that i would reach 44 stacks after this duration thus my question still stands:

With the logic you presented, any stack i apply after reaching 44 stacks would then be completely redundant? UNTILL the first stack of applied poison runs out of its 5.98 second duration.

This creates for a weird mechanical interaction surely, which furthermore enhances the need for an answer to my question.

Also, if it's true that all poison stacks are truely independant, then that means that there are infact more than one instance of poison "pools" active on a target. right

EDIT:
Spoiler
I think i might be confusing my self tbh.

Blade Vortex:
Poison Duration "5.98s" * Hits per Second "7.5" = 44

It takes 5.98 seconds to apply 44 stacks.

Which would simply enough mean that by the time the first applied poison stack runs out, the 45'th application occurs.

I guess where i was coming from is if you coincidentally were able to apply poisons from other sources of abilities.

Seeing as Blade Vortex is "automatic" you're free to attack with other abilities aswell, any poison applied by this secondary attack/spell, how would this work? This is in relation to the first question i presented, and happens to also be affected by the second question i presented.
Last edited by Yunojelly on Nov 29, 2018, 8:04:22 AM
"
Yunojelly wrote:
Suddenly, whilst continuously attacking the same monster, a burst happens and my poisons gradually deal even more damage, even after reaching my maximum stacks.
Hard to tell without looking over your shoulder while it happens and then inspecting your char.

A few suggestions:
The oldest stacks expiring had lower damage.
Maybe they have been applied without Siphoning charges or Flask buffs?
Do you have any effects depending on the number of Poisons applied?

The new stacks sometimes have a lucky streak with Master Toxicist?
"
Yunojelly wrote:
This has been answered.
It is simply applied.
Online delenda est:
"
The new stacks sometimes have a lucky streak with Master Toxicist?

This is probably the case actually. I made an edit to my reply to you, added it as a spoiler if you'd care to read aswell :D i realised i was probably confusing my self but i presented another scenario.
You got it right in your edit. :)

Adding a second ability applying poison doesn't change that.
Since all stacks are independent, they are simply added and expire as usual.
If you do this while automatically applying stack with BV, you can increase the number of poisons you can simultaneously sustain on a target.
Online delenda est:
"
Xeledon2132 wrote:
You got it right in your edit. :)

Adding a second ability applying poison doesn't change that.
Since all stacks are independent, they are simply added and expire as usual.
If you do this while automatically applying stack with BV, you can increase the number of poisons you can simultaneously sustain on a target.

Yes you're right.

Adding the secondary ability would just increase the throughput of possible hits per second, which then would alter the before mentioned equation.

Lets for argument sake assume that the secondary attack also hits 7.5 times per second coincidentally with blade vortex, then the amount of hits per second would now be 15.

So the equation is now 5.98*15 which would result in a total of 89 stacks of poison before the first runs out.

Thanks.

Man, this game has you thinking in strange ways, i love it :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info