Mechanical Questions Thread

Hi. I try to understand the whole process of receiving damage, so I have some questions.

According to wiki, damage values by source (phys/fire/cold/lightn/chaos) changes 3 times during receiving hit:

1) applying modifiers like "x% of physical damage taken as lightning damage"
2) damage mitigation by resistances and physical damage reduction
3) applying "damage taken" modifiers(flat, then increased/reduced, then more/less)

Now questions:

1) Is the order above right?
2) What about "increased/reduced damage taken from critical strikes" modifier? Where should i place it in the order above?
3) Damage after what step is used as base for calculation of shock/chill/freeze/ignite duration and for stun-or-not calculation?
4) Damage after what step is reflected?
5) Damage after what step is used as base for leeching mechanics?
Mechanical Question/Clarification involving the Deadeye's Powerful Precision Ascendancy (PP hereafter) and Pierce in general

Assumptions:
Pierce chance is stated to cap at 100%, the powerful precision ascendancy gives all projectiles 100% pierce at point of origin falling off as they travel. The ascendancy also gives crit chance equal to pierce chance.

Q:
1. The pierce from PP itself gives crit chance yes? So a falling CHC as projectile travels. Or is it only looking for pierce% in the tree and on gear? So this is crit chance not visible in tooltip.

2. Tornado Shot. Initial projectiles are intrinsically 100%, will gain crit but no more pierce from PP, but will not lose pierce as they travel. Submunitions rely on PP to pierce, these are considered to have originated at my bow with regards to travel, yes?

3. Picking up pierce chance on gear/support or in the tree effectively gives me a longer section of flight at 100% pierce and therefore 100% CHC, basically delaying the falloff? Or is the projectile calculated to be 100% (cap) at the moment of firing and then set on its merry unsupported way?

4.The previous question then makes me wonder when exactly my Drillneck takes a look at pierce and what number it's using. Any attack other than TS shows 15% pierce tooltip for me, and while I can obviously see PP working, I do wonder when exactly the pierce chance of the attack is 'read' for/by Drillneck. Hoping for moment of collision here.

5. My TS shows half the tooltip of my Burning Arrow, but I can see TS is infact significantly more powerful. Dont mind tooltip being funky, expected with such epic complex mechanics to build with, but would like to know if a lot of this is indeed invisible in tooltip just so i know its actually working behind the scene. Way I'm thinking my tooltip doesnt show PP pierce(can see it doesnt), crit from that or therefore Drillneck scaling since I dont have pierce until I fire. Does it allow for PointBlank effect in any way? Is the distance mechanic in there at all? You get where I'm going :)

Context:
Spoiler
Ultimately I'm trying to figure out if my Deadeye Powerful Precision Ranger with Drillneck actually wants any pierce for dps scaling, in my happy little dreamworld PP is doing almost all of that for me already and I dont need nodes unless I want shots to maintain their abilities for longer flight.

Basically, with PP and Drillneck, standing on the boss' toes, I need no pierce chance whatsoever to fully scale the ascendancy and quiver. 100% pierce shot, 100% crit chance from PP, 100% phys from Drillneck. Yes?

Tried testing this at some length, but these complex over distance mechanics make my TS tooltip rather hand-wave i suspect since the game cannot know at what range a shot will land. (Im also PointBlank, just to cloud my data more. )

edit: seem to have used CHC a lot, crit hit chance, think i've dragged that acronym from somewhere else.
Last edited by celem on Oct 8, 2016, 7:53:02 AM
"
trympyrym2 wrote:
According to wiki, damage values by source (phys/fire/cold/lightn/chaos) changes 3 times during receiving hit:
3) applying "damage taken" modifiers(flat, then increased/reduced, then more/less)

2) What about "increased/reduced damage taken from critical strikes" modifier? Where should i place it in the order above?
3) Damage after what step is used as base for calculation of shock/chill/freeze/ignite duration and for stun-or-not calculation?

1. It's correct.
2. Not sure, but it doesn't really matter either, it can go anywhere and have the same effect.
3/4/5. It's all based on final Damage taken, naturally.

"
celem wrote:
Mechanical Question/Clarification involving the Deadeye's Powerful Precision Ascendancy (PP hereafter) and Pierce in general
[my post is getting way long aaaa i'm sorry]

1. Any Pierce chance is converted to Crit Chance, so this also includes PP itself, yes.
2. Yep.
3. The falloff is delayed, effectively.
4. On hit.
5. Neither PP (and by extent, Drillneck) nor Point Blank factor into the tooltip. Additionally, the tooltip assumes a single Hit from a single attack, but Tornado Shot can hit multiple times.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Oct 8, 2016, 9:42:49 AM
I was wondering if the Chieftain ascendancy passive "Hinekora, Death's Fury" where it says "Damage Penetrates 10% Fire Resistance" and "1% of Damage dealt by your Totems is Leeched to you as Life" apply to Righteous Fire totems.

I am also wondering if the passive "Ngamahu, Flame's Advance" where it says "35% increased damage against Burning Enemies" applies to my Righteous Fire totems as well.

Thanks for any information!
Designer of Unending Hunger and The Craving divination card.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
trympyrym2 wrote:

1. It's correct.
2. Not sure, but it doesn't really matter either, it can go anywhere and have the same effect.
3/4/5. It's all based on final Damage taken, naturally.

About 2. So strange answer. It DOES really matter. For example, it can affect or not "damage reduction from armor" calculation. Another example: it can affect resulting damage if this modifier acts with flat "damage taken" modifier( (x+y)×z not equals x×y+z). Question is still open.

About 1 and 3/4/5. I understood, thanks. But to get golden-bordered confirmation will be great.
Good point on Armour! I whiffed that one pretty bad.
(flat reduction is scarcely a thing :P )

"
I was wondering if the Chieftain ascendancy passive "Hinekora, Death's Fury" where it says "Damage Penetrates 10% Fire Resistance" and "1% of Damage dealt by your Totems is Leeched to you as Life" apply to Righteous Fire totems.

I am also wondering if the passive "Ngamahu, Flame's Advance" where it says "35% increased damage against Burning Enemies" applies to my Righteous Fire totems as well.

Pen and Leech are both on-Hit effects. Damage over Time does not Hit.
Damage over Time currently cannot perform state-checks on the enemy, and thus Ngamahu does not work with Righteous Fire.
Hi again. My next question is about evasion.

According to wiki, one can evade attacks (unless some specific cases like "Resolute Technique"), but one cannot evade spells.

But what about secondary damage? One cannot evade it, like spells? Or one can evade attack-based secondary(like "Explosive arrow")? Or there are other rules about it?
Secondary Damage cannot be Evaded, Blocked or Dodged - these mechanics specifically apply to Attacks and/or Spells.
All secondary Damage is equal, regardless of the Skill that caused it.
Tried searching the wiki, but could find an answer to the following:

How does the "Ascendance" suffix affect Diviner's Strongboxes and Arcanist's Strongboxes?
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Rhans wrote:
Does "Beacon Of Ruin" of Elementalist work with spell totems?

Couldn't find the answer for a day or two. I've just checked and it looks like the "Beacon Of Ruin" works will spell totems.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info