2.4 Necromancer Spectre/SRS Angryaa

Legacy update: Hi, I will be making a new summoner build guide in a day or two. Until then, check out my character on my profile ANGRYSOLO or watch me on my stream.

This is my build guide/diary of my first build in Prophecy, a Spectre/SRS summoner. The theorycraft will change as new spectres are discovered (new monsters being added to the game) and new items and mechanics are found. Nothing here is final (yet).

2.4 update: pick up 1 unending hunger http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Unending_Hunger . It seems very powerful, especially for spectre survivability.

Watch me live at: http://www.twitch.tv/angryaa

My character profile: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Angryafrican/characters
(Look for: ANGRY_SUMMONS).
Your only class option is Witch. The Necromancer Ascendancy is uniquely suited due to the power of Mistress of Sacrifice and Soul Weaver. As with all my builds, they are built and tested in HC.

Gear:
The items for this build are quite specific, but very cheap. Keep in mind that all of these items are not absolutely necessary for the build to function (except I think, Victario's charity), but allow it to get to a whole new level of power.
Spoiler
You need Victario's Charity, a unique shield that gives a 5% chance on hit to give allies Frenzy charges, and a 10% chance on kill to give allies Power charges. Combined with Necromantic Aegis, this provides insane charge generation for you, your minions and your party. This effect is VERY powerful on minions because minions gain 15% attack and cast speed per Frenzy charge totalling to 45% increase. Basically this shield puts your minions on crack. In addition, power charges give them 200% increased crit per charge. This is a very, very powerful effect that I think makes this shield best in slot for any summoner build.

Read here for details: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Monsters#Charges

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Bones_of_Ullr provides you with an additional Spectre and Zombie. Try get a 15% movement speed one if you can.

A +2 minion helm. This is important to make sure your 4 linked SRS, which go in the helm, do solid damage.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Aurumvorax, preferably a one with a 55%+ all resists roll. With so many unique items in the build, and unable to get resists from your shield due to Necromantic Aegis, this item is critical to capping your resists. If you somehow have capped res without Aurum, you can use http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Advancing_Fortress

I recommend picking up a http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Tabula_Rasa for early mapping as 6 link Spectres with Soul Weaver are very, very powerful.

For Flasks, I recommend a Bubbling mana pot when you are MoM, to quickly regen your mana when you take a big hit. A bleed removal Basalt Flask for the 20% physical damage reduction, a Quicksilver flask with increased speed and charge recovery and two instant or bubbling healing flasks. One of these flasks should have curse removal. When taking damage, remember to use both your mana and hp flasks at the same time to regenerate both your mana and life. Once you're using whirling blades, you don't need the Quicksilver.

Endgame Passive Tree:

poeurl.com/LwD Jewels stat priority is Minion Resists > Life > Minion Damage. Jewels without minion resists or % Life should not be used. Once you spec into Commander of Darkness, remember to factor in the additional 20% minion resists. Use one Unending Hunger in the north witch jewel socket. You only need one, and its fantastic for spectres.

Gem links:

http://poecraft.com/gemplanner#v11.2p1W0n.0P1T1y.1C2_1f2f.152_2f1S2O20.2I0M0a0e.=3161T2a.00.==.==

We use Flame Sentinels as spectres from The Eternal Laboratory. Why? Highest damage and survivability, great AI and they scale well with the high cast speed given by Frenzy Charges + Spell Echo.

Interestingly enough, a close second is Undying Grapplers (Dischargers) from Upper Sceptre of God. Their clear-speed is about equal and they have higher single target. I use Cold Pen + Elemental Focus + Minion Damage + Increased AoE + Controlled Destruction with them. If you want to be hipster, go for it its actually pretty good. The reason why I don't use them is because they cause more lag (REALLY laggy sometimes) and they have less survivability in difficult maps. I hate having to replace spectres so often. You can find them in the Upper Sceptre of God (similar to Flame Sentinels, they only have a 30%ish chance to spawn, remake zone till you get them.

Before you have the needed Animate Guardian items, level it in your off slot and use Minion and Totem elemental resistance on your zombies instead.

For your Animate Guardian, use http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Dying_Breath and http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Leer_Cast to provide powerful auras for you and your minions. Keep him alive by using solid life/resist gear. You might want to avoid movement speed on boots to help keep him from running too far. Use http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Zahndethus%27_Cassock for high chaos res and consecrated ground on block. There is no point to running the Guardian without Dying Breath and Leer's Cast.

You want the highest level Desecrate for summoning Spectre corpses as possible.

Bandits: Help Oak in Normal. Kill all in Cruel and kill all in Merciless.

The Labyrinth and you
Spoiler

This build crushes the labyrinth and can easily do sub 10 minute runs in Merciless. Of course, knowledge on how to do the labyrinth helps a ton (such as making sure the later Izaro phases are as easy as possible) and learning how to dodge traps. Minions take 90% reduced damage from traps, so they are not a concern at all.

Normal: Go in at level 38+. This way you have plenty of hp and spell echo to help you along. Take Mistress of Sacrifice .
Cruel: Go in at level 65+. You really are in no rush to do cruel Labyrinth since the passive you take is low impact. Take Flesh binder.
Merciless: Go in at 77+. Take Soul Weaver.
Endgame Lab: Currently we don't know

You can go in earlier if you wish, this is what I did in Hardcore to make sure my labyrinth runs were as low risk as possible. It worked out well for me.

Levelling:
Spoiler
Go Freezing Pulse. Start linking it to added lightning in a +1 cold wand. Later link to Faster Casting, Elemental Focus and Controlled Destruction in a 4l (or a 3l in a +1 cold wand).

Skill tree levels 1 - 20. Smashing Normal with Firestorm.
poeurl.com/y4q

Switch to Firestorm at level 12. Keep using the same support gems.

Levels 21 - 38. Getting ready to go SRS and still smashing things with Firestorm.
poeurl.com/y4B

Focusing on more life and mana for leveling. Just started to take minion nodes in the 30s to get ready to switch to SRS (and ONLY SRS) for late Cruel.

Levels 39 - 50. The awkward summoner teenage years.
poeurl.com/y4r

Start working on the nodes that make your SRS more powerful, get the duration nodes and from here on out we start fleshing out the build for using SRS. Once you get to around 50, I'd recommend switching to SRS instead of Firestorm. I'd recommend crafting or buying a +1 4 link minion helm. Make sure to link your SRS with Spell Echo, Melee Splash and Minion Damage.

You can craft a +1 minion helm by selling any magical helm (4 linked) with an orb of alteration and a Flask of Animation.

Another good option is http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Reverberation_Rod. If you have this item, you can level with SRS from level 24!

51 - 70. Rise of the Spectres and Zombies: I'm a real summoner!

poeurl.com/LFl

Start collecting the gear you need such as bones of Ullr, Victario's Charity and Aurumvorax. Once you reach Merciless act 3 and have access to Battlefront/Solaris temple, raise some Flame Sentinels and go to town. At some point, make sure to do some respec quests and respec your starting nodes into mana and remove Elemental Overload. You don't do damage yourself any more, you have minions to do it for you! You'll likely need some dex on gear or the +30 node on the tree.

Understanding Raise Spectre level mechanics; zone level matters. This is very important.:
Spoiler
The reason why summoning spectres from highest level zones possible is important is that the level of the zone you summon spectres from (in this case Flame Sentinels) matters a TON for making sure their hp and damage is good. Flame Sentinels from Normal and Cruel are too weak to deal with difficult boss fights and situations. You will want to get into Merciless Eternal Laboratory (level 68 Zone) for end-game Spectres.

Finally, if you summon Flame Sentinels from corpses with Desecrate, the Flame Sentinels level is equal to the zone level or the Desecrate corpse level, whichever is lower. This means you should NEVER summon spectres with Desecrate corpses unless you have leveled the gem high enough. For example, if you are in a level 68 zone, but your Desecrate gem summons level 5 corpses, your Spectres will only be level 5 and thus do almost no damage and die in one hit.

To target specific corpses when raising your Flame Sentinels, press the Highlight Corpse key (default a).

Finally, minions update their stats as you change gems/items. This means you can summon some corpses, remove spell echo, summon your spectres and then put spell echo back in and your spectres will get spell echo. This is convenient for allowing you to specifically target what corpse to raise.

Adjustments for Standard.
Spoiler

I would recommend http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vis_Mortis as your end-game chest, 6 linked of course. Everything else stays the same.

FAQ:

Spoiler
Q: Is this build beginner friendly?
A: I would not recommend this build to a new player. Summoner mechanics are complicated and the build requires specific items to shine. However, if you're determined and follow the guide, you can do this build just fine.

Q: Can I switch to using Spectres and Zombies earlier than Merciless act 3?
A: You can technically level as a summoner from level 1. I'd recommend against it, because minions will die repeatedly and be frustrating to maintain and SRS does worse damage than spells in Normal. SRS works well mid Cruel and the rest of the build comes into play in Merciless act 3. Trust me, I learned this the hard way.

Q: So I dropped my Purity of Elements aura cause my resists were capped and now my minions are always dying!
A: You've likely neglected the resists of your minions. You should have three Minion Resist jewels (preferably +10% each) before you drop purity of elements. When you take Necromantic Aegis they will gain an additional 8% from the shield.

Q: Why Flame Sentinels? I like Evangelists/Revenants/Bleed Archer/Discharger spectres much more!
A: Flame Sentinels have excellent AI, damage and are easy to get with a high zone level (68). After repeated testing, they prove to be number one in clear-speed and survival. One of the reasons for this is they just stand still and spam their skills, allowing them to scale with Frenzy charges and have higher clear speed =than other spectres. You can use other spectres, but from what my testing indicates, the build will be less efficient.

Q: Does this build really need SRS/Zombies/Minion Resists/Victario's Charity/Etc to be good?
A: Yes. Everything in the build functions and synergises well together. Tinker and change at your own risk. The vast majority of people who have troubles with my summoner guides do so after changing something about it. Only do this if you know what you're doing!

Q: Why no curse no hit?
A: Pooping out SRS tends to do more damage than worrying about cursing. Also socket space is a big limiting factor.
Last edited by Angryafrican on Mar 6, 2017, 4:05:00 AM
Last bumped on Aug 21, 2017, 1:35:00 PM
Awesome! I based my Perandus summoner on your last thread, so I'm glad to see you continuing.

Ascendancy:
2 more points, aw yeah!

"
Auras you Cast grant 10% increased Damage to you and Allies
Auras you Cast grant 5% increased Attack and Cast Speed to you and Allies
You and Allies affected by your Auras have +20% to all Elemental Resistances

The buff to Commander of Darkness is such a huge relief. It's like a free Haste and Purity of Elements, both of which are very much needed.

It might be worth it to grab this after Cruel Labyrinth, then when you complete Merciless Lab use Regrets to swap over to Soul Weaver. When you finally conquer the end-game lab, you can take Commander of Darkness again.

"
Minions deal 30% increased Damage
Desecrate creates 2 additional Corpses
40% increased Damage if you have consumed a Corpse Recently
2% increased Attack and Cast Speed for each Corpse consumed Recently

The alternative, Spirit Eater, seems like it'd be better on a Null's Inclination build who can spam an Offering on kill. If I'm reading the language right, it's only you who gets the damage boost and per-corpse speed, while your minions just get the +30% increased minion damage. If you aren't directly attacking, such as with SRS, this means Commander of Darkness is easily the better choice at 3 auras, unless your minions are frequently outside of aura range.

"
20% increased Chaos Damage
+15% to Chaos Resistance
Minions have +15% to Chaos Resistance
Your Minions spread Caustic Cloud on Death, dealing 10% of their Maximum Life as Chaos Damage per second

I wonder if Beacon of Corruption will finally be fixed to scale with minion damage, but even then since Caustic Clouds don't stack it has very limited damage potential. There's also the horrible bug where monsters don't drop items if they are killed by the cloud.

Gem Links:
I would swap Stone Golem with Convocation, from your shield to your gloves. That way, you can Weapon Swap without losing him.

Last league, I really liked using Phase Run. With all the duration we get from the tree and Necromancer for SRS, and the constant free Frenzy charges, it can last ~10 seconds when moving from pack to pack. It's like an unlimited Quicksilver of Adrenaline that pairs well with Haste and Flesh Offering's movement boost (you can achieve ~100% MS while wearing Bones of Ullr, and more with actual Quicksilvers). The best thing, though, is you can run through monsters and they will target your minions before you. This gives you time to maneuver into an ideal position before unleashing a swarm of Raging Spirits. I kept Flame Dash on weapon swap when I needed to get over cliffs.

Arc with Curse on Hit and either Flammability or Elemental Weakness (if using Hatred), along with taking Elemental Equilibrium, gives a huge damage boost to Flame Sentinels and Raging Spirits for very little investment (-94% fire resist = 94% more damage for FS and 47% more for RS). You only cast it on Magic/Rare packs, Rogue Exiles, Uniques, Bosses, and Totems to make them die so much faster. I use Arc over Ball Lightning because I don't use it on normal packs, and I like the near-instant hit. It's also great for breaking pots and barrels because Arc will auto-target them when no enemies are around.

Even if you don't use Curse on Hit because of your curse auras, one socket for Arc and one passive point for EE gives you a solid damage booster when you need it (and nothing is immune to it), as well as a stress-free way to break jars for that lucky Exalt drop. You could then trade Fire Penetration on your Spectres for Controlled Destruction, using Arc instead when encountering fire-resistant mobs. EE is better for burn damage, too (crits from all those power charges), since Fire Penetration is not factored into Ignite for some reason.

If you make space for a level 1 Clarity, you'll get more out of Commander of Darkness.

Poison on Zombies is pretty fun, since minion damage double-dips. I went with RZ + Minion Damage + Melee Physical Damage + Poison for high single-target damage Zombies instead of tank Zombies and an Animated Guardian.

Passive Tree:
I see you aren't using Acrobatics anymore. I liked how it gave you good defense that wasn't gear reliant. Did you find during the last league that it wasn't worth it, or are you just trying something new, like Spirit Offering?

You've dropped the 0.6% Minion Life Leech passive. I've seen my Spectres tank so much thanks to life leech just from the passive tree, so I'm not sure if it's really worth losing.

2 points for 20% ES from Foresight instead of 10% Life from the Constitution life wheel might be worth it depending on your ES. Then there's Unnatural Calm to consider, too (3pts = 30% ES, 15% ES recharge, and max lightning resist).

If you grabbed Harrier for the 5% cast speed, don't forget Occultist's Domination is also one point for 4% cast speed. The 20 INT gives mana and ES, too.

98 DEX is needed for Temporal Chains
111 DEX is needed for GMP
155 DEX is needed for Haste

From your passive tree, you are getting 50 DEX + 14 DEX from the Witch class, for a total of 64 DEX. Alacrity will give another 30 DEX, allowing you to reach 94 DEX, but this still falls short. You'll need at least one or two pieces of gear with a high DEX roll, or you'll have to leave these gems underleveled.

Leveling:
Using Raging Spirits with a cheap Reverberation Rod works really well. You can stay as a summoner from the start if you do that.

Gear:
No more dual Essence Worms, eh? Is Mind Over Matter worth it, then? With Haste and two curse auras, how much mana will you have available? When I wasn't using Essence Worms, the mana loss would shut down my SRS spam too often to be worth it.

The Vertex is a good helm to cut down the cost of SRS, making mana and mana regen far less important if you drop MoM.
Last edited by Hercanic on Jun 9, 2016, 12:01:46 PM
Thanks Angry. Looking forward to playing this build. I guess I will be following this post now and not your old one?
The ES pool might be a problem untill we're in really high gear considering no discipline we're only only running the hybrid clusters plus sanctity. The mana in the start shoulden't do anything so I'm assuming that's missclicks. We're lacking 2% reduced mana reserved to run haste, enfeeble and temp.
This concept is most definitely what I'm using, will try to drop SRS's and see if the freshly
accessible spectres can't carry quick enough.
In your profile you have spectres linked to COLD pen and Fortify.
Do I miss something or you use something other than Flame Sentinels for spectres?

p.s. Do you know if Commander of Darkness stacks if multiple auras are cast?
Last edited by _Cruoris_ on Jun 3, 2016, 10:21:44 AM
"
_Cruoris_ wrote:
Do I miss something or you use something other than Flame Sentinels for spectres?

It very much stacks for everything except the upcoming +20% elemental resistance. Check out the differences in the wording that Hercanic posted to see why.

I run pure lowlife SRS with 5 auras, so I'll be pretty happy with my free 50% minion damage, 25% minion attack speed, and 25% cast speed for SRS.... Commander of Darkness was actually already a top choice for pure SRS before the buff!
You are basically swapping out Curse on Hit EE and 1, or even 2 auras and a shield for SRS Blasphemy.
Dunno, I'm not convinced. I still think EE with Spectres is much better vs this type of mixed summoner.
"
Hercanic wrote:

"
20% increased Chaos Damage
+15% to Chaos Resistance
Minions have +15% to Chaos Resistance
Your Minions spread Caustic Cloud on Death, dealing 10% of their Maximum Life as Chaos Damage per second

I wonder if Beacon of Corruption will finally be fixed to scale with minion damage, but even then since Caustic Clouds don't stack it has very limited damage potential. There's also the horrible bug where monsters don't drop items if they are killed by the cloud.

it has been fixed
Is Victario's Charity a Perandus-league exclusive? Or can it be found in Prophecy as well?
Edit: Nvm, I got mine, was worried when I saw no listings on POE Trade.
Last edited by Aetavicus on Jun 4, 2016, 6:26:12 PM
"
_Cruoris_ wrote:

That's a non-prophecy profile, and its using Grappler links, not Flame Sents, which are very viable as spectres.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info