[3.0] Freezer Burn - AB AoF MoM EO, Cheap, Fun, Screw the Meta

"
SenileGhandi wrote:
"
Kwitch wrote:

Also, I've changed directions on Ascendancies... I now forgo Shaper in favor of Pendulum + Mastermind. We really didn't need Prolif considering how the build ended up playing out, and what we get out of going for pendulum/mastermind is massive. It's a huge improvement in clear speed + overall damage

I'm loving this build so far. I am just about to do Uber lab, but I am really confused as to why you would choose mastermind. What lightning skills are you using to proc the 25% fire pen?

I've always used lightning warp in conjunction with flame dash, primarily for increased distance movement.

And I've also been working in orb of storms with 0 links just after I manually curse, it lasts 10 seconds, so does mastermind, it's an easy visual reminder when I need to re-apply it, and for kicks it can crit things to help proc EO.

It's not elegant, but it works, and it gives a ton of penetration. I think I'm at 109% last time I checked.
Hot Flashes: poeurl.com/bPZT
Balance: poeurl.com/btzp
Shocking EleHit: poeurl.com/bZXo
Last edited by Kwitch on Jun 29, 2016, 6:36:27 AM
Hit 91 yesterday, feeling swole XD. Spending quite a bit of time looking at the skill tree seeing if some tweeks can give the build a bit more kick but nothing game changing yet. Still need 6L chest but that's about it... maybe neck with 1 extra curse would be nice :x.
"
Tome_of_exp wrote:
Hit 91 yesterday, feeling swole XD. Spending quite a bit of time looking at the skill tree seeing if some tweeks can give the build a bit more kick but nothing game changing yet. Still need 6L chest but that's about it... maybe neck with 1 extra curse would be nice :x.

Awesome :D

Hearing some criticism from some other players, clear mind / 0% reservation is entirely optional and it's quite possible to run Whispers of Doom for more curses. I'm making edits to the guide that reflect my more finalized version, representing how I have been playing the build as of recent and showing my gear + links setup @ 90.
I did want to add that recently a buddy of mine gave me the idea to start running a very low level cast on damage taken with ice spear for the 600% crit chance (to activate elemental overload). I find this much more reliable than getting crit rating on gear or jewels.

Also I started using a singular Vaal haste for the cast speed, its a nice buff and if you have room for increased duration its a nice dps boost for boss fights and extra wave clear.
Last edited by Tome_of_exp on Jul 1, 2016, 9:57:53 PM
"
Tome_of_exp wrote:
I did want to add that recently a buddy of mine gave me the idea to start running a very low level cast on damage taken with ice spear for the 600% crit chance (to activate elemental overload). I find this much more reliable than getting crit rating on gear or jewels.

Also I started using a singular Vaal haste for the cast speed, its a nice buff and if you have room for increased duration its a nice dps boost for boss fights and extra wave clear.

I used to have Vaal haste in the build actually, and I even ran a 4-link dedicated to procing EO with ice spear.

I was really unsatisfied with how often ice spear managed to trigger EO for me, as it rarely gave me eo when I needed it. Swapping vaal haste for the AA slot is an easy call. Good one there.

For me, I just disliked the dedicated EO setup, but for sure buddy!
The pyre question keeps coming up... so I want to give some counter-points to it...

"
Surely you could avoid Avatar of Fire and get more damage than a ring slot would offer you no?

Maximum benefit from Pyre: 30% Cold Resistance, 35% Fire Resistance, 35% Burning Damage.

vs.

+55 Strength (27 HP and 11% spell damage)
+79 Life
+73 Mana (~21 HP, +2 regen [2.8% of 1500 is 42, 2.8% of 1573 is 44])
~ Fluff Prefix, rarity, evasion, etc.
7% Cast Speed
12% Cold Damage

Sum spell damage increase of 23%, Life ~127, Whatever base ring benefits. Increased spell damage directly influences burning damage.

- As a special note, I cover nowhere in the build the damage we gain from burning enemies. I don't expect to consistently burn targets, and I don't factor it into our dps calculations. Prioritize burning damage at your own interest.

I think you would be hard pressed to find superior stats on tree in those three points you save. However, here are some alternative ideas:

All of these are possible, and I'm sure there are others nearby for even more points. Someone even asked me if they thought Whispers of Doom could be fit into the build. Sure! But don't kid yourself into thinking skill points > inventory sockets. It's just not true.

Also, as we stated in the luxury section, there are many unique rings which we could run that would change or flavour the build significantly. I do not believe you will have sufficient life + resistances with 2 unique rings, however there is room for 1.

"
but but but but Kwiiiiiittch! We wouldn't have to use Cold to Fire anymore!

So q20 cold to fire gives us 20% increased damage and 28% of cold damage as extra fire damage. You lose that, then you have to find a replacement gem.

Elemental Focus = No.
Controlled Destruction = No.
Life/Mana Leech = ok?
Less Duration = Plausible, since it's another More, but barely.
Empower = ok sure, drop many ex for a marginal at best improvement. At level 2, this was less damage.
Inc. Burning Damage/chance to ignite = Wrong build, mate.
Added Cold Damage = Plausible, needs more testing.
Faster Casting = Plausible. my setup at 90 had 0.24 casts per second. Really not needed.
Elemental Prolif = Magically doesn't work with Pyre (see: destroys corpses)

That's again, my research and thought process. Only gem I can see as potentially being worth would be an added cold. I like the idea of using added cold, however I would rather that slot be colored red so we could alternatively slot in life leech instead of mana leech. All the same, it's a lot of change for less benefit I believe.
Last edited by Kwitch on Jul 6, 2016, 10:18:45 PM
Interesting idea to use pyre but I agree that it seems lack luster. Probably a better argument could be made for staying cold damage and switching cold to fire gem with Elemental Focus or Controlled Destruction. I don't really want to do the math to see which is superior so i'm going to just leave it as a suggestion if someone really wants to crunch numbers on it XD, atleast as far as the skill tree you would lose a marginal amount of spell power in the conversion (maybe 10-20% spell power but gain 10 int/20% mana regen, depends on your node choices) and honestly im not sure how much you would gain from using Elemental Focus or Controlled Destruction while losing burn or crit rating (for elemental overload).

Keep in mind you also would have to stop using anything on gear that would normally give fire damage and jewels would have to be spell power or just cold damage.
Last edited by Tome_of_exp on Jul 7, 2016, 11:10:09 PM
Well died about half way into 94. Was a good run, build was solid for the most part (I never did get that RRBBGG chest 6L but its nbd, donated to guild I was with). Bearer's in a arid lake 6man party got me, in hindsight grouping is definitely faster exp but it is absolutely more dangerous no matter what your build is (laggy, multiple ground effects, people opening strongboxes with corpse explode, ect..). Very rarely had close calls when soloing or with 1 other person and I feel that is where this build excel's in my opinion. Will probably be back for next season race, taking some time off now :)
2.4 video with a witch incoming?
Man, I wish!

I took on 18 units this semester and spend 5 days a week either on campus or @lab. I haven't had a single moment to play. However, looking at the patch notes, I didn't foresee any differences in either the playstyle, skilltree, or gem requirements for this. It should be relatively similar, but just a tiny bit better when it comes to doing damage.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info