[2.6] The Curse Whisperer - Tri-Curse CI Whispering Ice Elementalist - Viable for Everything

"
Docbp87 wrote:
Yeah I actually prefer self cast, for what feels like better mobility.

agreed, I feel the same. with sufficient cast speed, selfcast feels smoother and quicker to me. and I absolutely dislike having to keep the right mouse button pressed in the cwc setup. but thats certainly a matter of taste.
"
Black_Gun wrote:
"
Docbp87 wrote:

agreed, I feel the same. with sufficient cast speed, selfcast feels smoother and quicker to me. and I absolutely dislike having to keep the right mouse button pressed in the cwc setup. but thats certainly a matter of taste.

...and buttons! :)

I considered leaving the self-cast setup as an alternative option. But then I realized that with CwC you don't need Deep Thoughts anymore. That's 2 skill points! You get everything 2 levels earlier, and this should tip the DPS meter in favor of the new setup too. And you have a free gem socket of your choice (Enhance lv 4 in a 6L curse link is an amazing luxury upgrade). And the freedom to move at any time without getting stuck in the casting animation is very nice. That unavoidable animation lag was one of the chief complaints about the build, now it's gone.

IMO all these benefits are very worth adjusting your habits. When you started playing this build you got used to this style of casting and moving. It took me less than a day to get used to the new style. Pressing the key for just long enough to proc Icestorm is very easy. It's more about ignoring the beam: it doesn't matter where it is, Icestorm is cast where your cursor is. Try it! ;)

And for somebody who is new to the build it's a no-brainer: CwC 4tw.
Last edited by Kelvynn on Jan 31, 2017, 10:03:03 PM
"
Kelvynn wrote:
"
Black_Gun wrote:
"
Docbp87 wrote:

I considered leaving the self-cast setup as an alternative option. But then I realized that with CwC you don't need Deep Thoughts anymore. That's 2 skill points! You get everything 2 levels earlier, and this should tip the DPS meter in favor of the new setup too. And you have a free gem socket of your choice (Enhance lv 4 in a 6L curse link is an amazing luxury upgrade). And the freedom to move at any time without getting stuck in the casting animation is very nice. That unavoidable animation lag was one of the chief complaints about the build, now it's gone.

IMO all these benefits are very worth adjusting your habits. When you started playing this build you got used to this style of casting and moving. It took me less than a day to get used to the new style. Pressing the key for just long enough to proc Icestorm is very easy. It's more about ignoring the beam: it doesn't matter where it is, Icestorm is cast where your cursor is. Try it! ;)

I plan to give the CwC setup a try in the next league (as I have found this build to be an amazing setup for farming bosses/doing any and all content).
U MAD?
"
Kelvynn wrote:
"
Black_Gun wrote:

deep thoughts is 20 int for 2 passive points. not great, but not too shabby either. granted, I'm more on the hardcore side of things when it comes to poe, the time it takes to reach lvl 93 or something like that is not my biggest concern, but might very well be of concern to someone else. so yeah, I'll give you that, cwc means reaching build goals two levels earlier. ;)

btw: by the time you can afford a 6l chest and a lvl 3/4 enhance, you will be able to make a great selfcast setup.

just fyi: I have already excessively tested the cwc setup, and liked my (customized) selfcast setup better. I'm not the type of guy to dismiss a build or setup without even having properly gone through it. ;)

another minor disadvantage of cwc is that it takes longer to proc the first icestorm. on a selfcast setup, the first icestorm is out immediately and only thereafter does the animation root you in place. on a cwc setup, there will always be a 0.4 - 0.35 seconds delay (depending on the gem level of cwc) before the first icestorm is out. when running highend maps with lots of damage mods and you run into a pack of ranged mobs, this time till the first icestorm and thus the first leech are coming can be delicate.

look, I dont deny that cwc is the way to go for leveling, is stronger for mapping while one has bad gear and is probably the version that players new to this build should try out first. what I disagree with is the notion that cwc is the uniformly superior setup for all content and all levels of gear.
Last edited by Black_Gun on Feb 1, 2017, 4:28:38 PM
Just a quick little question, because I don't really get it. Nothing against the build, just a finetuneing thing.

In the Gem Section you wrote: "Warlord's Mark any level, ideally 20/23".

I wonder how 20/23 is better than 21/20?

20/23 gives us 38% AoE, 30% red. Stun Recovery, 41,5% Chance for Endurance Charge
(rounded down to 41% in game I think)

21/20 gives us 40% AoE, 31% red. Stun Recovery, 41% Chance for Endurance Charge

It doesn't change anything to the functionality of the build, but still, I think it's wrong. =P

"
Black_Gun wrote:
another minor disadvantage of cwc is that it takes longer to proc the first icestorm. on a selfcast setup, the first icestorm is out immediately and only thereafter does the animation root you in place. on a cwc setup, there will always be a 0.4 - 0.35 seconds delay (depending on the gem level of cwc) before the first icestorm is out. when running highend maps with lots of damage mods and you run into a pack of ranged mobs, this time till the first icestorm and thus the first leech are coming can be delicate.

I've yet to see a situation where that would make a difference. You spend the same amount of time either way. And if you can get killed in 0.35 sec then you are not ready for that map. It could matter in HC, but in HC it would be foolish to run a map that's so hugely unsafe for your gear level and nobody takes such risks in HC.

"
look, I dont deny that cwc is the way to go for leveling, is stronger for mapping while one has bad gear and is probably the version that players new to this build should try out first. what I disagree with is the notion that cwc is the uniformly superior setup for all content and all levels of gear.

I never claimed that. But the cases where self-cast may be better are too marginal in the big picture.

CwC is good for everything. In most situations it's significantly better than self-cast. And in the rest it's just as good. One the other hand, I cannot think of a single realistic situation where self-cast would be significantly better than CwC.

"
Just a quick little question, because I don't really get it. Nothing against the build, just a finetuneing thing.

In the Gem Section you wrote: "Warlord's Mark any level, ideally 20/23".

I wonder how 20/23 is better than 21/20?

20/23 gives us 38% AoE, 30% red. Stun Recovery, 41,5% Chance for Endurance Charge
(rounded down to 41% in game I think)

21/20 gives us 40% AoE, 31% red. Stun Recovery, 41% Chance for Endurance Charge

It doesn't change anything to the functionality of the build, but still, I think it's wrong. =P

I must have been thinking about some other gem. You are right, for WM 21/20 is better. I'll fix that.
Last edited by Kelvynn on Feb 1, 2017, 10:59:47 PM
"
2016-01-31: Updated the build with SR-CwC. Dropped Enlighten and Deep Thoughts. Everything is achieved 2 levels earlier. Updated the leveling guide. Made a new video for the current state of the build and added other recent videos.

I believe it was updated this year :P
"
Levirael wrote:
"
2016-01-31: Updated the build with SR-CwC. Dropped Enlighten and Deep Thoughts. Everything is achieved 2 levels earlier. Updated the leveling guide. Made a new video for the current state of the build and added other recent videos.

I believe it was updated this year :P

Oops!
Has anyone messed around with dropping Warlord's mark for flammability or any other curse? I went marauder and 4% leech is plenty for me. Trying to figure out what would be the best thing to run.
"
JSquiggle wrote:
Has anyone messed around with dropping Warlord's mark for flammability or any other curse? I went marauder and 4% leech is plenty for me. Trying to figure out what would be the best thing to run.

keep in mind that you only get 1% permanent leech from berserker. with life leech support, thats 3% for bossfights, not 4%.

since this build does not ignite, flammability is worse than ele weakness with quality. so if you want more damage, I'd recommend getting that. but I think there might be situations where an additional ring is worth more than ele weakness... either a rare opal ring with 50+ int and other goodies, or a perandus signet.

but again, I'm not sure if 3% leech on berserker will be sufficient for tough content.
Last edited by Black_Gun on Feb 3, 2017, 1:03:51 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info