Next James Bond might be a female

"
Bond. Jane Bond.

There's no need to change the name, I've known a couple female James IRL.

If they are going to do something along these lines, they should do it right for once. Hire a real writer - someone whose books shine and have the same sense of adventure that Ian Fleming's did, with some knowledge or flare for the mission heavy gadget packed nature of these films. Then, adapt the story for the screen to make it pop.

This would be a chance for the movies to establish a backstory for one of their Double-O characters, enough to make them human, yet still leave them a mystery.

They way I would do it, is to open with a scene of a young girl running from a mob that plans to kill her as she is fleeing from an arranged marriage. The old 007 rescues her and gets her off to safety, but is captured and the last the girl sees of him as she looks back from the helicopter is the crowd dragging him off.

We cut to the present and the girl is presenting before HQ as the new double O agent. They have a slot that has been open for 15 years (whatever number makes sense) but they felt it should only be filled by the highest caliber of agent.

Then they cut to the new 007 prospect - and she responds with an an understated diginity that belies her ferocity and determination. When she seems to have passed their tests, they ask her to choose her new name as they begin altering her fingertips. She replies - Bond, James Bond. When Q raises an eyebrow, she explains that that's who rescued her long ago.

I haven't seen enough of her acting to be sure, but maybe Meesha Shafi could breathe new life into the character?

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on May 31, 2016, 10:40:16 AM
"
diablofdb wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
I hope she sucks.:P

some people think I'm sexist for saying that, but I would say the same if they would make a remake of Alien and instead of having Ellen Ripley as main character they would have a random guy.

I think beloved classic characters shouldn't be changed like that. Ghosbusters will be an horror and so will be 007 if they pick a woman.

It doesnt matter to me and there are tons of women spies so it's not out of place like if they had a women playing a green beret like rambo.
Git R Dun!
Here is a real spy busted a couple years ago. Just cast her IMO.

Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 31, 2016, 8:17:53 AM
It would be interesting to see how they would write her. James Bond is already a highly sexual character often taking a position of power through sexuality. I wonder how a male audience would react to a woman in that role.

As long as it's not another damn origin story and the writing was good I wouldn't mind.
I don't think the core of the Bond character is "male power fantasy;" I think it's "action slut." Although the public's reaction to a woman fucking and shooting for the crown shouldn't be any different than their reaction to a man doing the same, I seriously wonder if it's feasible. You'd need to establish a female character whose promiscuity is front and center and sexy, while keeping her non-objectified and heroic. I would go for something like that, but I am too cynical to believe that would have mainstream appeal (especially for Bond's female audience (if it has one?)). I hope I'm wrong though.

Edit: ugh GA kinda beat me to it
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 31, 2016, 10:07:39 AM
I think most people who are huge fan of James Bond would hate seeing a female lead James Bond. It the same reaction when they shown up the new Ghostbusters movie trailer. If they really want a female equivalent they should create it themselves instead of changing an existing character. I think people don't like seeing their favorites characters being overhauled like that.

An example of what they can do is, Tomb raider. They created a female equivalent to Indiana Jones, changed the name of both the character and franchise, made some distinctions to make the character unique. And it became a fan favorite, without being an insult to people who loved the Indiana Jones Franchise.

edit: and about alien I didn't knew the script was wrote genderless, but I think it would still be difficult for the fans of the franchise to see a male character as the lead Sigourney Weaver made that character a classic.
Last edited by diablofdb on May 31, 2016, 10:20:03 AM
"
diablofdb wrote:
I think most people who are huge fan of James Bond would hate seeing a female lead James Bond. It the same reaction when they shown up the new Ghostbusters movie trailer. If they really want a female equivalent they should create it themselves instead of changing an existing character. I think people don't like seeing their favorites characters being overhauled like that.

An example of what they can do is, Tomb raider. They created a female equivalent to Indiana Jones, changed the name of both the character and franchise, made some distinctions to make the character unique. And it became a fan favorite, without being an insult to people who loved the Indiana Jones Franchise.

edit: and about alien I didn't knew the script was wrote genderless, but I think it would still be difficult for the fans of the franchise to see a male character as the lead Sigourney Weaver made that character a classic.

I don't see why there has to be only one Double-0 hero/heroine in the series. It might be a good time to develop 006 as a rival for top gun in the organization, and meet a few others. 006 could turn out to be the major character, then in the next movies become one of the villains, and give 007 not just a run for his money, but possibly kill him off (2 part movie) then in part 2, its revealed 006 went underground as a mole to help tear apart the enemy and even 007 doesn't know until the end.

So many different ways they could play this, but I would agree that simply replacing well loved characters with someone that doesn't fit the mold is a bad idea. It's be like replacing Milla Jovovich with Christian Slater in a future Resident Evil movie, and calling him "Alex".

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Transgender James Bond and the Bond Franchise goes to hell.
I don't know about this either.
And yeah, the thing is however the Alien script was written, it turned out that Ripley is gender specific. The strong character would lose something with a male in the role now. The whole point of Ripley (remember this was back in the late 70s) is that she was such a strong character and a female. Things have changed, obviously. But we are used to a female Ripley.
Censored.
Last edited by kolyaboo on May 31, 2016, 1:51:04 PM
"
pneuma wrote:
If they're doing it because "women should have their turn", then it's doomed to fail.

If they're doing it because "we want to push the limits of 007's character", then it might not fail.

If they're doing it because "this villain is awesome and check out this sweet car and this cellphone is also a gun and who cares what gender 007 is", it'll be great.
This is how its gonna go.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info