PC servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .
Xbox servers are restarting in:
Sony servers are restarting in:

Next James Bond might be a female

"
Dan_GGG wrote:
"
diablofdb wrote:
some people think I'm sexist for saying that, but I would say the same if they would make a remake of Alien and instead of having Ellen Ripley as main character they would have a random guy.

This is an interesting example because the original Alien's script was written with none of the characters' genders specified. Ripley could have been male or female, depending on who got the part.

I like this idea though because unlike the Alien movies, James Bond has always been written as an idealized male power fantasy.

Placing a woman in that role would require a serious re-evaluation of the character, which honestly feels overdue at this point.

The series has had a problem with women from the beginning, but even recently Daniel Craig called Bond a misogynist. This would force them to confront that fact and hopefully modernize Bond a bit. In a way that wasn't making him more grim and serious of course.

"
diablofdb wrote:
I think beloved classic characters shouldn't be changed like that.

James Bond has already been through several different actors, so there's really no point in drawing the line now. The worst that could happen is a bad Bond movie, which is hardly anything new at this point. On the other hand we could get a result like Lucy Liu in Elementary or Michelle Rodriguez in Doctor Who and end up with a really interesting take on the character.
What is exactly wrong with a man being in power, in a MOVIE?
Last edited by BackroomCastingCouch on May 31, 2016, 2:22:20 PM
"
kolyaboo wrote:
I don't know about this either.
And yeah, the thing is however the Alien script was written, it turned out that Ripley is gender specific. The strong character would lose something with a male in the role now. The whole point of Ripley (remember this was back in the late 70s) is that she was such a strong character and a female. Things have changed, obviously. But we are used to a female Ripley.

I thought the female role was the best due to all rape allegories in that series.
well, what makes it the right gender is the unwanted pregnancy part.
MAYBE (and thats a HUGE maybe) it would work as a male originally due to how unsettling that would be (third move especially), but I cannot see Ripley as anyone other than Sigourney Weaver at the moment, much less as a man.
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on May 31, 2016, 2:27:40 PM
Not bad😞
my english sux.
What about Angelina Jolie?
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
"
solwitch wrote:
What about Angelina Jolie?

Q would have to come up with some sort of secret lip gloss that would double as a flotation device if she was thrown into the water.

I think the main character would benefit from having a little more character, and be less of a hollow action figure. I like some of Jolie's movies, but I don't think she would carry that aspect off very well. Someone more in the mold of Jamie Lee Curtis, would make the movie a lot more fun, imo.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info