Volatiles + Red Maps + Melee... what is the survival strategy?

Used a bear trap + culling strike combo before. Now just let ancestral protector finish them off.
Im quite sure volatile blood scales from monster health pool. It acts like a cast-on-death, so all map damage modifiers apply to volatile blood.

- Use utlity flasks, if you are resist capped unbuffed flask will cut over 20% from the damage.

- Use a higher range skill/Damage over time to finish the mob.

- Get higher health pool.
Last edited by Bolvyn on May 29, 2016, 5:17:26 AM
"
Bolvyn wrote:
Im quite sure volatile blood scales from monster health pool. It acts like a cast-on-death, so all map damage modifiers apply to volatile blood.

- Use utlity flasks, if you are resist capped unbuffed flask will cut over 20% from the damage.

Don't nemesis mods scale with monster attack damage?
"
"
Bolvyn wrote:

Don't nemesis mods scale with monster attack damage?

Volatile Flame/Ice/Storm blood

Explodes upon death, dealing some (percentage of hit damage?) damage of the relevant elemental type in a small area of effect. It has also been speculated that the value used is a percentage of maximum life.

Source is wiki. Not 100% sure but in my own experience I´d say for monster health. I cant´t remember dying to devourer volatile blood, rumbling mass volatile blood is certain death.
Last edited by Bolvyn on May 29, 2016, 7:39:17 AM
"
Bolvyn wrote:
Source is wiki. Not 100% sure but in my own experience I´d say for monster health. I cant´t remember dying to devourer volatile blood, rumbling mass volatile blood is certain death.

The wiki's almost certainly wrong on this. Aside from data mining stating that it's based on main hand damage, you can find plenty of posts like this one from Reddit this week with a volatile ribbon one shotting an HC character. If it was based on life and any combination of mods could ever make a volatile ribbon kill you, half the volatile monsters in the game would instantly one shot every character.
"
Jennik wrote:
"
Bolvyn wrote:

The wiki's almost certainly wrong on this. Aside from data mining stating that it's based on main hand damage, you can find plenty of posts like this one from Reddit this week with a volatile ribbon one shotting an HC character. If it was based on life and any combination of mods could ever make a volatile ribbon kill you, half the volatile monsters in the game would instantly one shot every character.

Thanks for correcting me, learned something again.
"
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
remove it from the game imo, its complete bullshit

Leave volatile in the game, but make a monster mod called "Eye of the Storm" which explodes the entire map for massive damage except for a small aoe around it, similar to the bloodrain of dominus. Punishes ranged characters, particularly off-screen builds.

Shouldn't remove things that make the game hard for melee or ranged, should add things that make life hard for ranged or melee, respectively.

it doesnt make it hard though, its just saying if you kill this mob with a close range melee build you will die. Thats not a challenge, you skip it or die, theres nothing hard there. It punishes you for not paying attention... well no, it just punishes you, if you pay attention you either have to skip the rare mob in ur map, punished, or risk killing it and then die, punished. Theres no skill thats required of you. Stormbearers punish you for not paying attention, but if you do pay attention you are fine with any build, if you catch on late you can use skill to still avoid them. They make the game harder, I dont think volatile blood does.

Any content where the options are to either skip it because u cant do it or faceroll it because you can doesnt bringing difficulty to the game. Its the same debate thats been going on with maps. Reflect maps dont make the game harder, if you dont care about ele reflect you run ele reflect maps and you dont even notice it. If you cant run ele reflect then you skip it. So who is it making the game hard for? Theres no hard, theres a line in the sand with easy on one side and impossible on the other.

Its a bullshit sort of fake hard that really shouldnt be in the game imo. They could have it, mobs that explode on death, but they cant scale it with map mods or monster types the way they do, it cant be allowed to do more than about 4k damage in any map conditions because the mechanic of it is fucking absurd for melee, completely and utterly broken. Its not even about having a ranged alternative, you cant have a monster that you cant kill because killing it will kill you, thats idiotic. The method you describe, the ranged guy runs in close and kills it point blank, no problem. The melee guy with volatile... yeah he still cant kill the monster, it doesnt work, its fundamentally broken.

ya they way it seems to scale is why its broken, the fact it scales at all and is effected by -max etc just makes it, imo, impossible to balance.

So you have volatile, and it does about 2k damage after resists, no probs, enough to be relevant yet not lethal. And then your map has 100% extra as lightning and cold, so now it does 6k damage, and its -max which essentially gives it 50% more damage so now it does 9k damage and it spawned on a monster with a sub phys aura so thats probably doubling it again? Like wtf is this? How on earth can you ever balance that and say its fair for melee while a normal volatile does any damage worth talking about?

It feels to me like thats how it scales too, same way corrupted blood is done? Poison clouds? If CB works like that too then thats another highly questionable choice imo.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
ya they way it seems to scale is why its broken, the fact it scales at all and is effected by -max etc just makes it, imo, impossible to balance.

So you have volatile, and it does about 2k damage after resists, no probs, enough to be relevant yet not lethal. And then your map has 100% extra as lightning and cold, so now it does 6k damage, and its -max which essentially gives it 50% more damage so now it does 9k damage and it spawned on a monster with a sub phys aura so thats probably doubling it again? Like wtf is this? How on earth can you ever balance that and say its fair for melee while a normal volatile does any damage worth talking about?

It feels to me like thats how it scales too, same way corrupted blood is done? Poison clouds? If CB works like that too then thats another highly questionable choice imo.

I'm really not sure what's the benefit going melee over range up until now. Range, either spell or physical both have the high damage output yet able play safely than the counterpart melee. Not to mention that, they have to spend so much in optimizing their defense for end game mapping yet GGG implemented more and more deadly one hit ko mods, volatiles, and bad single targeting melee skills which caused melee falls deeper on the disadvantage side.

Melee physical skills versus range spells has a wider gap of difference too. There are things like Accuracy which affects physical attackers only and not spell users yet spell damage scales so well without GG gears compare to melee gears.
How is this balance?
"
I'm really not sure what's the benefit going melee over range up until now.

There is none, you go melee because you like to smell monster butts from up close, you like the fight dynamics and you like the challenge. It's the playstyle for true sportsmen, those that aren't satisfied with giving the fox a head start but also arm it with akimbo uzis and guided missiles. Does it make any sense? Probably not.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info