Volatiles + Red Maps + Melee... what is the survival strategy?

"
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
remove it from the game imo, its complete bullshit

Leave volatile in the game, but make a monster mod called "Eye of the Storm" which explodes the entire map for massive damage except for a small aoe around it, similar to the bloodrain of dominus. Punishes ranged characters, particularly off-screen builds.

Shouldn't remove things that make the game hard for melee or ranged, should add things that make life hard for ranged or melee, respectively.

Lol, this guy.

Spoiler
I like the underlying principle of balance this illustrates - create a monster mod mechanic. If you completely flip the mechanic across everything that it does, is it still balanced? If not, scrap it and go back to the drawing board.
Yeah, volatile is an unfair mechanic. Just way too punishing for melee, and melee doesn't need any more punishing.
Last edited by toyotatundra on May 29, 2016, 1:03:42 PM
"
raics wrote:
There is none, you go melee because you like to smell monster butts from up close, you like the fight dynamics and you like the challenge. It's the playstyle for true sportsmen, those that aren't satisfied with giving the fox a head start but also arm it with akimbo uzis and guided missiles. Does it make any sense? Probably not.

I'm also not into those kind of mindsets that once a meta is weaker, I jump the boat to another. That's why, GGG seriously need to look into melee situation in this game. For once, make it that it's beneficial to go melee. Never ever point that Fortify implementation has changed the tide for melee because it ain't the thing we really need. No matter how many defense buff that us, melee can get in this game, range players still have the upperhand in both survivability and DPS.

Most of us went for melee build just cause. I went for melee because I love close range combat, nothing I know that it'll be so underwhelming compare to range skills.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
ya they way it seems to scale is why its broken, the fact it scales at all and is effected by -max etc just makes it, imo, impossible to balance.

So you have volatile, and it does about 2k damage after resists, no probs, enough to be relevant yet not lethal. And then your map has 100% extra as lightning and cold, so now it does 6k damage, and its -max which essentially gives it 50% more damage so now it does 9k damage and it spawned on a monster with a sub phys aura so thats probably doubling it again? Like wtf is this? How on earth can you ever balance that and say its fair for melee while a normal volatile does any damage worth talking about?

It feels to me like thats how it scales too, same way corrupted blood is done? Poison clouds? If CB works like that too then thats another highly questionable choice imo.

imo in a map with -res and double 100%+ ele damage, volatile blood is the last of your problems
"
DarkWap wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
ya they way it seems to scale is why its broken, the fact it scales at all and is effected by -max etc just makes it, imo, impossible to balance.

So you have volatile, and it does about 2k damage after resists, no probs, enough to be relevant yet not lethal. And then your map has 100% extra as lightning and cold, so now it does 6k damage, and its -max which essentially gives it 50% more damage so now it does 9k damage and it spawned on a monster with a sub phys aura so thats probably doubling it again? Like wtf is this? How on earth can you ever balance that and say its fair for melee while a normal volatile does any damage worth talking about?

It feels to me like thats how it scales too, same way corrupted blood is done? Poison clouds? If CB works like that too then thats another highly questionable choice imo.

imo in a map with -res and double 100%+ ele damage, volatile blood is the last of your problems

its actually the biggest thing u are scared of when rolling a map like that for melee as it is probably the only thing in the map that is going to 1 shot you. The map could still be trivial yet your 12k energyshield melee gets 1 shot by vol blood, its the main reason you think twice about running those maps.
Vaal Immortal Call I guess. I forgot about that. If you have high damage getting them into culling range safely is next to impossible, and you only have to sacrifice 2 gem slots.

A 4L'd totem would be even better as that is useful in more situations, but a lot of builds can't spare enough gem slots to make it strong.
"
innervation wrote:
"
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
remove it from the game imo, its complete bullshit

Leave volatile in the game, but make a monster mod called "Eye of the Storm" which explodes the entire map for massive damage except for a small aoe around it, similar to the bloodrain of dominus. Punishes ranged characters, particularly off-screen builds.

Shouldn't remove things that make the game hard for melee or ranged, should add things that make life hard for ranged or melee, respectively.

Lol, this guy.

It is obviously a silly idea, but I think the idea in general of a 'safe zone' around monsters should be implemented more often. Currently we only have dominus's second form with this aspect.

Why is devourer's melee attack so strong, for eg? Why don't we have more 'mortar'-like enemies that can't attack things strongly close up (eg: if avian retch had a minimum range). Why not some more enemies with the same mechanic as dominus: stay inside the shield or get hurt?
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
"
Mannoth wrote:

1. Says most powerful builds in the game are melee
2. Links a uber run with a person wearing 6 mirrored items
3. GG

Anything trivializes the game with 6 mirrored items and the most rare unique item in the game.

Meanwhile Deadeye LA kills uber with a ~30 ex budget.

Deadeye cant face tank uber and core that can. So can very cheap discharges if cost is issue which I said nothing about.

Did you actually watch that video you posted...? The dude couldn't even stand there and facetank everything. There actually _are_ builds that can facetank vaal trio and uber atziri, so why didn't you post one??

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info