Constant lag spikes - files linked

All,
I seem to be having the lag spikes that quite a few other people have been experiencing as of late.
This seemed to start late Sunday the 15th and really got worse around 6PM Tuesday the 17th.
Now I can barely play without dying and lagging to the point it just isn't fun anymore.

I am located in Portland, OR.
I have reset my router.
I have reset my provisioning box in the garage (FiOS box).
It only seems to affect POE, several other games I play, 1 being a MMOFPS with tons of people, have no issues.
My connection is a 50Mb/20Mb (actually slightly higher).
I play on the CA server but it was the same on TX and DC servers, just higher average ping.
Network mode doesn't help, predictive actually makes it much worse.
Interacting with merchants and inventory seems to make spikes worse, but not always.
Sometimes I will get kicked to log-in with an error similar to "Unexpected disconnect"
Sometimes interacting with inventory during laggy instances will give me "Item is not usable" when it is, like a scroll of wisdom.
Graphics settings make no difference.
I play through Steam.
No recent driver or windows updates.

I tried using your WinMTR but it just kept giving me errors when I would paste in the address to ping.

I have posted supporting documents to my google drive account:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3xkJJdSWh7oYUlrakpBaC1YMWc&usp=sharing

Ping data was ran over several minutes:
ping -l 1024 -f -t sjc.login.pathofexile.com

tracert, dxdiag and screenshot included.

Thank you,
Last bumped on May 31, 2016, 6:35:18 PM
What errors were you getting running the WinMTR?

Were you using the latest version 0.92 or the broken 0.8?
I am unsure of the version but I downloaded what the website said was the latest version.
The error said something about a socket, I do not recall exactly.

I am currently at work but I can check the version and error code when I get home.

Can we proceed for now with the information I have already provided?
I'd like to have a few things ready so I can attempt a fix when I get home today.

Thank you much,
Unfortunately, we really need to see the actual traces. The problem with both ping and traceroute is they don't provide enough data to diagnose a problem.

ping only gives you full latency from you to destination and back. That's fine to see overall latency times, but it doesn't show WHERE the problem is.

traceroute gives a list of teh nodes on a route, but it only pings each of them basically once so unless the node was acting up at that exact moment, you won't notice an issue with that either.

We like the WinMTR because it is a combination of the traceroute (so we can see each node) with a CONTINUAL ping so we can get over-time statistics for each node directly. This is what is needed in order to see what might be going on with the network.

Make sure you're using 0.92. The application says in the status bar what the version is I believe.
It was the 0.8 version, however the page clearly states that, that is the latest version.
Looking at the other source files below would lead you to believe that they are a later version.

Misleading to say the least, but I have 0.92 now.

I have added the files to my google drive account for CA, DC and TX.
I ran them twice and saved separate files for each. CA, DC, TX, CA2, DC2, TX2; in that order.
CA looked OK in WinMTR.
DC not so much.
TX not so much.

Even though I play only on the CA server I thought the information might be helpful.
I also forgot to mention in my original post I am connected by ethernet, not wireless.

I am still having the issues tonight, couple very huge spikes and some off flat topped spikes.

So I included a WinMTR while I played, just from town, to hideout to an instance for a minute, killed a few things, back to hideout, opened a map, entered, killed a few things, back to hideout and interact with merchant and stash then log out. CA server.

I included a screenshot of the lag spikes, some were larger, none showed up in winMTR that I can tell.
It almost seems like choke, which might not show up with smaller packet or file sizes.

I know at work when we are streaming data through a multicast system we will sometimes see failures, but the typical pings, network traffic, and other tools don't show any issues. Mainly because multicast broadcasts larger packet sizes.

Not sure if that helps.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Last edited by Kurdain on May 21, 2016, 2:41:00 AM
It helps diagnosis if you post the data you captured while experiencing issues.

Edit: I see you added them to the drive. Maybe someone can look when they get a chance.
Last edited by Drakier on May 21, 2016, 2:43:27 AM
Clearly something going on at the ISP level between hops 2 and 3.

My recommendation is to send those bad traces to your ISP and ask them to escalate to a network technician. It is unlikely something you can resolve directly.
I agree and disagree.

I had already considered giving them a call, but why does it affect the 2 servers I DO NOT play on but not the server I play on?
Why don't I see any issues with the trace that was running during my playtime on the CA server even though the in game network monitor was showing significant issues?

Why is path of exile the only online game I play affected?

I know every game/company/program uses slightly different methods for networking, but I would think if it was a gross issue it would surface somewhere else also.

None of our online streaming services seem to be affected either.

I'll escalate to my ISP and see if they can reset my system on their end and let you know if I get anything back from them.

I would appreciate your insight on your theory because if I was troubleshooting this at work I wouldn't have come to the same conclusion. Not saying anythings wrong, I just like to know why.

Thanks,
Last edited by Kurdain on May 21, 2016, 3:19:50 PM
So there are a lot of things to consider in how a network condition can affect different things differently.

For example, most streaming services use various forms of buffering and quality degrading to not affect the flow of audio/video. They start with an up-front buffer of at least a few seconds and maybe more depending on signal quality. This allows them to fetch-ahead in case there is a signal problem and they can play directly from buffer until signal improves.

Games also have different forms of mitigation to offset the appearance of issues. Games like Diablo3 and WoW also do a form of buffering and desync using client prediction to offset a ping spike or temporary loss in signal. The games can become desynced but due to client prediction and simulation you don't "feel" it.

Also, the issue at the ISP can be many different things which can affect services differently. They could have faulty hardware which can be intermittent. They could have congestion issues similar to traffic on a highway. Too many people trying to use the same road at the same time can cause traffic issues.

It can be time-based, etc. Does your issue happen all the time or only at specific times? Either way, you are showing clear signs of issues shortly into the ISP so they need to resolve that at the least. It could be a compound problem however and after the ISP issue is fixed we find a different one. Such is the nature of network diagnostics as a third party.
I am on the phone with frontier now.

1 thing to note is the local IP is different on 2 of the 3 servers I pinged in my examples to you.

CA, the one that shows no issues and the one I play on but have in game lagging routes through:
xe--5-1-1---0.fdr01.aloh.or.frontiernet.net

TX and DC, the servers I DO NOT play on and obviously show issues on WinMTR routes through:
xe--0-1-0---0.fdr01.aloh.or.frontiernet.net

So I am not sure what I am troubleshooting here.
Using WinMTR as you asked shows NO issues with the CA server I play on, but as I showed with my screenshot and WinMTR running at the same time I was getting significant in game lag and WinMTR showed nothing wrong.

So while I am happy to call my ISP, as I am doing now, I do not expect anything to be resolved as they tests they have ran so far are returning nothing wrong so far.

The lag is consistent, late at night, week-end, week-day, peak-off peak, doesn't matter.

I am concerned you are asking me to ask my ISP to troubleshoot an issue that doesn't present itself on the server I play on, the tool you ask me to use also doesn't show an issue, but simultaneously in game I am lagging badly.

I'll let you know what they say but I feel like I am troubleshooting a tire that is flat only on the bottom...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info