2.3 Poison Block BV Budget Supertank -- League Starter (new vid)

***NEW VIDEO:
This is an easy gorge run (so my comp can handle it mostly). Also, the audio works, so that's nice!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bED40rSgXcw&feature=youtu.be

Good luck in Prophecy, Exiles!

Greetings Exiles!

This build was my first in PHC, and I made quite a bit of money playing quickly and safely with it. I'd highly recommend it for a first build in Prophecy (especially if you want to get some loots and your master missions up).

The premise of the build is to combine max block and spell block with cybil's paw and blade vortex, as well as a max level bone offering for incredible life recovery, which then allows us to get Ghost Reaver to sustain both our ES and Life at the same time. Because very few auras effect blade vortex, we make do with running only an enfeeble on blasphemy, and can run the Mind Over Matter keystone (my build netted about 1.2k unreserved mana, but this will most likely vary depending on your gear and passive point priorities).

This build can be used essentially from the beginning, and it's basics are finished once you buy a 1c cybil's paw and complete the normal labyrinth. Also, this is my first guide, so be gentile on my presentation and style. :P

We'll obviously be choosing the Necromancer ascendancy class.

Pros

Can run any map mod (though I still tend to avoid bloodmagic)
Facetanks just about everything safely
100% LAG PROOF
Only uses 2 uniques, so lots of room for life and Res
Cheap as dirt
Dual or Tri-Curse
Mobile

Cons
You might get cocky and facetank Tunneltrap while he crits you multiple times
Difficult to get Energy Shield on gear (can't run discipline)
Requires a melee playstyle
Can't Inflict status ailments (no shock or chill)
Requires a large amount of dex from gear

Overview of Defensive Mechanics
Spoiler

Our primary defenses with this build are having a large life pool, a supplementary ES pool, and plenty of ways to restore them both quickly.

The passive tree gives us 203% life (or 230% with 4 Jewels with life), and my character netted about 6.5k without expensive gear and a few levels to go.
We also have about 200% increased Energy Shield, which, with a few decent ES pieces, can get our ES pool to 3.5k pretty easily. So, on the first side of defense, we have a 10k EHP pool.

After this, we have block. Because we're taking Mistress of Sacrifice, and have permanent Bone Offering, we naturally get around 65% block and spell block (with the Stone of Lazwhar), and a low rolled Rumi's easily gets us to the cap. All in all, we simply avoid taking 75% of all hits thrown at us.

Next, we have Mind Over Matter. With some Mana regen on rings, and some flat mana on the occasional gear piece, I had about 1800 mana total. I decided to reserve 35% of it for a Blasphemy, and had roughly 1200 mana remaining, with extremely high regeneration rate. While I was leveling, I also used a high level clarity. So there is another 1200 EHP against single hits, and far more against a series of smaller hits.

On top of this, I ran Enfeeble on Blasphemy, which is a huge defensive bonus. (PROPHECY EDIT: Run Enfeeble on some other Curse on Hit, and run Discipline and Clarity on mana, for huge all res%, and double dipping damage, as well as survivability from the extra ES)
Furthermore, Cybil's lets us use whirling blades and fortify, which was up nearly 100% of the time since your movespeed is pretty terrible, and whirling is the only thing which lets you move at a decent pace.
Warlord's Mark gives us Endurance charge generation, and our duration passives increase immortal call (if you want to use it)

So, your primary defense is a 75% chance to avoid getting hit, and a 10k + 1.2k EHP pool from which to take damage.

*However*
This is only half of the magic defenses of this build. Beyond building up our EHP and avoidance, we also have near instant ES, Life, and Mana recovery.

Mana is fairly self explanatory, as it regenerates at a very high rate naturally from our tree and jewelry. We assist this by running Warlord's Mark and a life and mana leech enchant on our boots. With this our mana doesn't even fall on it's own due to physical reflect.

For ES, which is our first layer of defense, and about 1/3 of our total EHP, we use Ghost Reaver, which converts the leech from our boots, Warlord's Mark curse, and Atziri's Promise into an ES recharging machine. With this set up, it is extremely rare for mobs to even deplete your rather small 3.5k ES pool.

If they do however, they're in for a much stronger defensive set up. Firstly, Bone Offering grants us a whopping 530-ish life on block from a level 19 gem (which completely negates damage taken from reflect). This means that on average, for every 1 hit your taking to your life pool, you're healing about 1600 from blocking the other 3. On top of this, Cybil's Paw is amazing with Blade Vortex. It is easy to get blade capped against bosses, and 50 blades generates about 400 life per second *per enemy*. Even at 25 stacks, which is a more normal amount for clearing, this regularly means 2000 life per second against 8-12 enemies. Between these two methods of life recovery, enemies need to do damage extremely fast to overcome our life/ES/Mana Pool. Having a long Immortal Call also almost guarantees that you'll have all of your life and ES back before you're susceptible to damage again (but using IC is up to personal preference). This is what allows this build to be Lag-Proof. Don't get me wrong, my shitty computer would literally freeze for 10 seconds at a time while diving into the middle of a Perandus Pack, but I always came out alive, and the people I partied with said that on occasion they saw my health drop to 90%, but then it would dip right back up. This is literally the only reason why I was able to get even as far as I did in HC on my piece of garbage toaster which I use for PoE. Also, you don't even need to cast spells to live! Your blades are already out and leeching, your bone offering is already going, and your curses are always active, so it really doesn't matter at all how long you lag out for, as long as you are hitting mobs or they're hitting you, you'll live.

Overview of Offenses
Spoiler

The offenses of this build are much more straight forward. For your primary skill, you'd want to use BV, Echo, Poison, Inc. Duration, Inc. Aoe, Controlled Destruction, in that order. All of your duration passives affect poison as well, so your degen is easily lasting 5 seconds, long enough for you to whirling blades out of a bearer pack before they even have a chance to die. Inc. AoE can obviously be swapped for Conc. Effect for single target, but I've found this largely unnecessary and inconvenient; I'd only do this for Atziri.

In addition to those links, I also run a tempest shield with curse on hit vulnerability. Vulnerability double dips our damage, and is an enormous dps buff. It would be better to run it on another blade vortex link, but your already losing a lot of sockets to other uses.

Ideal Links
Spoiler

My character died while I was redoing a lot of my gear, so ignore what my gear's links show.

6L: BV - Echo - Poison - Inc. Duration - Inc. AoE/Conc - Controlled Destruction/Conc
4L: CWDT - BV - Curse on Hit - Warlord's Mark
4L: Bone Offering - Faster Casting/Immortal Call - Inc. Duration - Vaal Disc
4L: Enfeeble - Blasphemy - Chaos Golem - Desecrate
3L: Whirling Blades - Fortify - Faster Attacks
3L: Tempest Shield - Curse on Hit - Vulnerability

The skill tree (Lvl 91)
Spoiler

http://poeplanner.com/AAAABAMDB9-K6QL-s1crvYJtGQj0wFRqQ7zqEVA1uacrl_RSUz1fl5VMs9Af7-sEB4PbVcY6WKyY99eboRhqeC985VgHj0anCOvuMtFFR8BmBLOiAPAfaPI8BZ_f73ya4EWdU1KFMhzcjxq4kyj6gscdvjOHA-756Bg8vScYVkGHnL4NHzwotz7-Cti9NZL-j03j8kU64aZXkzoIZxW4yFuWMiL0bAuTJ--I-TfXz0mxvoqhL1VLYeImlRa_f8YRlgcelS7w1UlRj_rQ0F9qDkhd8isK62MRLzY9napsjGKstUh1_YRv1ELsg9OPSI4N4puKvk8=

There is one slight variation of this build that changes only a few passives/priorities, and that's using a Lightning Coil instead of an ES chest. Its a completely viable option, and saves you the points from Ghost Reaver and Arcane Focus, which you can instead use to pick up Purity of Flesh.

Leveling and Jewels
Spoiler

The build is pretty linear and self explanatory. Since I wanted to run Blade Vortex from as early as possible, I picked up the Scion life wheel and increased duration nodes early, as well as spec'ing into Shadow simply for the Dex. You do have the option to use intuitive leap in the Scion's mana socket to get the AoE and remove the cast speed for curses node in Skittering Runes, but since we can actually make use of the mana for MOM anyway, I chose not to do so. Before getting those nodes, I leveled with Deep Thoughts. Also, giving up a Jewel meant losing 7% life and some Spell/Area damage, which I wasn't willing to do. Your ideal Jewel stats are Life, Area Damage, Spell Damage, and Mana. Getting some Str or Dex on jewels is also not completely a waste, as it's rather annoying to keep up the amounts you need from gear alone.

Here is a tree for level 81 (before you really start focusing on ES:
http://poeplanner.com/AAAABAMDB9-K6QL-s1crvYJtGQj0wFRqQ7zql_RSUz1fl5VMs9Af7-sEB4PbVcY6WKyY99eboRhqeC985VgHj0anCOvuMtFFR8BmBLOiAPAfPAWf3-98muBFnVNShTIc3I8auJMo-oLHHb4zhwPu-egYPL0nGFZBh5y-DR88KLc-_grYvTWS_o9N4_JFOuGmVyL0bAuTJ--I-TfXz0mxvoqhL1VLYeImlRa_f8YRlgcelS7w1UlRDkhd8isK62MRLzY9napsjGKstUh1_YRv1EJ0VV8q7IPTj0iODeKbir5P

After you're finished with this tree, you can use your discretion for what to go for; I considered Purity of Flesh and Foresight/Unnatural Calm, depending on your ES vs Health levels, and how many points you have to spend.

Bandits
Spoiler

Normal: Oak
Cruel: Kill (you don't need the cast speed from Alira, you're capping BV stacks just from duration)
Merci: Kill (or Oak if you're reliably generating charges)

Gear Preferences
Spoiler

The only essential gear pieces for this build are a Cybil's Paw (a near perfect roll is around 3c. you can still get the 8 life on hit from a 1c Paw), and a Stone of Lazwhar (also a 1c unqiue). Since I had enough Int from my tree, I used a mana gained when hit corruption on my ammy before I saved up the 1ex to purchase the additional curse.
For Armor pieces (boots, gloves, helm, chest), you want life, ES, and Res. You don't need movespeed on boots since you're whirling everywhere. For boots, it's a *huge* improvement to purchase or farm a .5% life and mana leech corruption. Make this your first priority on boot shopping.
For rings, you *will* want a ring with a T1 Dex Roll, and a very high mana regen roll. After these conditions are met, just aim for life and Res. The belt is for life, strength, and res.

My Current Gear
Spoiler

I crafted the Chest myself from alc/scours until I had a nice ES roll with either life or open Prefix. The corrupted Stone of Laz cost me 1 ex, and the rest of the gear was purchased between 1-10c In general, you want as much ES as possible on your Helm, Chest, and Shield, as these are major contributors to your ES pool. Gloves and Boots can be any base (and I wasn't the idiot who master-crafted the shield, just fyi). My gear is pretty far from ideal, so there's a lot of room for more ES, life, and chaos res.

Flasks
Spoiler

I used the Silver flask like a quicksilver, and to build up stacks after entering a map or coming up on the boss, but it's by no means necessary. The Atziri's Promise is flat out a 20-25% damage multiplier, and the leech is an amazing defensive addition as well. I use a Rumi's to cap my block (without it I'm sitting at about 66% attack and spell), and to give me an armor boost. The roll on the Rumi's doesn't matter at all, since any amount will cap you.
If you can, try to get your hands on a Taste of Hate.

Video:
I apologize in advance if the quality is poor. My wooden graphing calculator that I play Path on has difficulty handling screen capture software. Also, I know the sound effects are annoyingly loud, but you'll just have to deal with it until I have the time to make another :P
https://youtu.be/wClwFA4Zhho

NEW VIDEO:
This is an easy gorge run (so my comp can handle it mostly). Also, the audio works, so that's nice!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bED40rSgXcw&feature=youtu.be

PROPHECY EDIT:
There are 2 things I'm thinking of changing for Prophecy. The first, is that I might ant to get rid of MOM. It's really sad, but the benefits from the new Commander of Darkness are too good to pass up, especially since dropping MOM gives us the big ES bonus from Discipline. One thing to consider is using Spirit Offering on a high level cast on damage taken (depending on how the ES scales on it). Restoring 30% of your life as ES is really good for this build, since we have so much hp. I'm not sure, but it might also be possible to abuse this, and run Spirit Offering on a link before Bone Offering on the same CWDT, and gain an instant ES boost, but never losing our Block chance (unless there are no more corpses around, which is unlikely. Using both of those will also help out the new Spirit Eater node.

For Auras, I'd run Clarity and Discipline, if you're still going MOM, or I'd run either enfeeble or Hatred if you decide to ditch it. Unfortunately non-crit poison BV doesn't benefit much from many of the auras, but if you're in SC and want some crit, the tree paths by just about every spell crit node there is.
Last edited by Kroughfire on Sep 28, 2016, 7:20:52 PM
Last bumped on May 15, 2018, 1:59:02 AM
You could try adding a hatred in there. I use hatred in my BV build nd it seems to help with clearing faster
You can run Hatred for most other BV builds, but it really doesn't scale that well for this one. Because I'm running Mind Over Matter, having an additional aura would really hurt our survivability. Also, cold damage doesn't scale poison.

But for softcore, if you really want to push the dps, feel free to give it a try. :P
Wow nice build, feels like bone offering is OP ! :-D

I really like the fact that it's a true budget build.
nice build, i think i will play this in the new 2 week league
guide is also good, thanks!
Great idea. Very solid build guide - I found all information I needed. I'll be playing this for 2W Flashback race with few small tweaks that might or might not work :)

One question:

In what importance order would you put curses? We can't get tri-curse straight away so it would be good what works the best. In my opinion in HC scenario it will look like that:

1. Enfeeble
2. Warlord's Mark
3. Vulnerability
I'm glad you guys are going to try the build -- It's seriously the strongest one I've ever played. Also, you can do it on a 2c budget :)

Let me know if you make any changes, and how effective they are. I'm definitely going to play this build again, and would like to optimize it, with your help.
"
luckies wrote:

In what importance order would you put curses? We can't get tri-curse straight away so it would be good what works the best. In my opinion in HC scenario it will look like that:

1. Enfeeble
2. Warlord's Mark
3. Vulnerability

It depends. You should run enfeeble on blasphemy as soon as it comes available, and is the highest priority. Warlord's is only necessary when you spec into ghost reaver and have a fair amount of ES. Since that was about level 83-85 for me, I ran Vulnerability the whole time before that. Cybil's Paw and Bone offering make it so that life leech is completely necessary, and I just used a high level clarity to compensate for the lack of mana leech. Vulnerability is a large enough damage modifier that, imo, it rank's #2 unless in nearly all cases before you hit 85+. Also, I would still run Vulnerability if you have the life and mana leech boots and high ES. If you have those, the nicest thing about warlord's is the extra mana leech and endurance charge generation (but I used enduring cry right after bone offering while leveling). Having warlord's just adds a lot of luxury.

You can obviously play around with it and see what works best. It also might change once Spirit Offering comes out in the next league, as having a new form of ES generation might work well (but juggling that and bone offering might be challenging).
Last edited by Kroughfire on May 6, 2016, 1:13:05 AM
Hey, nice guide! I'm really tempted to play this as my first character in prophecy, wondering if you had though about any changes...

Namely, I'm not so sure what to do with ascendancies - the last two points really don't seem to do much, do they? Mistress of sacrifice, Spirit Eater... Commander of darkness and Beacon of corruption?

Grabbing commander of darkness, and seeing I'll be going softcore, I'm tempted to grab a second aura (anger? Hatred?) do think that's worth it? Should I spec out of MoM in that case? (that'd be a shame u.u)
"
Rathke wrote:
Hey, nice guide! I'm really tempted to play this as my first character in prophecy, wondering if you had though about any changes...

Namely, I'm not so sure what to do with ascendancies - the last two points really don't seem to do much, do they? Mistress of sacrifice, Spirit Eater... Commander of darkness and Beacon of corruption?

Grabbing commander of darkness, and seeing I'll be going softcore, I'm tempted to grab a second aura (anger? Hatred?) do think that's worth it? Should I spec out of MoM in that case? (that'd be a shame u.u)

Hey, thanks for looking at this build!

There are 2 things I'm thinking of changing for Prophecy. The first, is that I'm pretty sure I'm going to want to get rid of MOM. It's really sad, but the benefits from the new Commander of Darkness are too good to pass up, especially since dropping MOM gives us the big ES bonus from Discipline. One thing to consider is using Spirit Offering on a high level cast on damage taken (depending on how the ES scales on it). Restoring 30% of your life as ES is really good for this build, since we have so much hp. I'm not sure, but it might also be possible to abuse this, and run Spirit Offering on a link before Bone Offering on the same CWDT, and gain an instant ES boost, but never losing our Block chance (unless there are no more corpses around, which is unlikely. Using both of those will also help out the new Spirit Eater node.

For Auras, I'd run Clarity and Discipline, if you're still going MOM, or I'd run either enfeeble or Hatred if you decide to ditch it. Unfortunately non-crit poison BV doesn't benefit much from many of the auras.

Hope you enjoy! (just so you know, this was my first PHC char, and I easily stockpiled a fair amount of wealth. It's really good at starting a new league because of how cheap and quick it is).
What order do you plan on getting Ascendancies in Prophecy?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info