[3.3] Unstoppable Gladiator 78% Max Block/Spells. Best Low Budget League Starter

"
mas_mariano wrote:
"
filevandrell wrote:
Just wanted to share with u my latest setup with aegis.

Changed +1 end charges from bandits for +1 frenzy and bought the Anvil with +1 frenzy charges. Warden's brand gives nice way to get frenzy charges when I can't run blood rage and balances phys damage when I took off BoR/Abyssus. Death's door are just death's door, what to say more. I have 49% chaos res + 35% from atziri promise, so no problem with cap it. Now I'm going to move portal out and place vaal haste on its socket, then put minion life or dmg on helmet to make ancestral warchief a bit stronger.
Also linked vulnerability to shield charge, much better than using cwdt+vulnerability or counterattack+curse on hit with vulnerability.
Thinking about The Vertex too.

Did you stun enough bosses with this build? I'm kinda disappointed with Stun mechanics and I feel like is not reliable. Nevertheless, that ring choice seems an interesting one instead of Blood Dance Boots, you loose life, right, but same case on boots. And on the other hand, even if is not good enough to gain FC against bosses, boots doesn't even gives you that chance.

About The Vertex, I have my doubts with your gear. You already loose life on boots and one ring. Maybe loosing life in helm too is a considerable drawback.

Stun doesn't work on bosses, but with blood rage you won't get frenzy charges on boss without any another monsters in area too. If there are some summons or monsters 'guarding' boss you can easily keep charges up with my setup.
"
Prior to making this guide, I used Doryani's Catalyst with this build (well, a similar one quite some time ago). I prefer Soul Taker because I think Marauder/Duelist area got better nodes for axes. Plus, forgetting about mana is really comfortable and allows you to put Hatred + HoA + AA (and you don't need to choose between damage or survivability).

If you decided to go with Doryani's, then Static Strike with PtL seems mandatory and you should take the route to Discipline & Training to get Blunt Instrument.

You make a very good argument. My decision came down to the fact that with catalyst you are kind of forced to use warlords mark to sustain mana. I will try the soul taker variant as I am very interested to see how much tankier this build can get with a defensive curse and arctic armour. I have a 6l laying in stash from a previous character this season, so I am going to experiment using a 6l instead of BoR. I'll likely need more block nodes in my tree to compensate, but I should have slightly more damage from a 6l, and over 50 life from gear. With the additional sockets from 6l chest and helm, I think it should be worth it. I'm planning on rolling with lioneye's at first, switching to aegis when I can afford some better hybrid armour ES gear.

I will also experiment with a BoR I have in stash to see which one is more effective. I'll keep you posted with what I find. Thanks for your insight.
"
eviL_Bison wrote:
My Char is now lvl 74, clearing T6 maps with ease.

Actual Gear:

I had to make a compromise with the gear to get it going. But it now works fine. Even phys reflect maps are a joke and not a thread at all. (Check the video)

Skilltree

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAQCAQHcBIcFLQaLCiYM9xNMFCAUcRXsF-EY2xo-IOMhYCb4KCoppS4jL8wwdzGeMk41kjboPfxAoEZpRrdHfk3jTjJQR1hjWK9Z_l8_X9pi7GRSZU1nm2zYbztyqXTtdPF2rHfjeA15OXloeu982X7iggeE2YTvivCLT4-Zk5mXeaZXqW6playvrY2uPrXytoq5HbuevTa-eL6nwBrAv8EEwYLBo8QVxFjE9sauypDPfti92XzaweJh5FHpRuoY7w7yL_JB9kj3Mvjr_o8=?accountName=eviL_Bison&characterName=BisonBlocks

I recorded a video of a T5 map with phys reflect to show how its actually works. Please note I'm a total noob when it comes to record vids. I'm sorry for the bad quality.

https://youtu.be/5PA6CD5Ii8Y (It may need some time for 720p/1024p)

Thanks for sharing!

Having Dirty Techniques and Gratuitous Violence with such APS, did you found mandatory to use Voidheart?

Exchanging that ring for a +INT plus resistances/life ring could free 4 points on tree right now (Diamond Skin & Hard Knocks), and taking out Path of Warrior, which is kinda poor, you could take Splitting Strikes right away.

What do you think?
"
filevandrell wrote:
Stun doesn't work on bosses, but with blood rage you won't get frenzy charges on boss without any another monsters in area too. If there are some summons or monsters 'guarding' boss you can easily keep charges up with my setup.

Yes, I realized that, just asked about stuns because I was curious about it (just to explain myself, I invested quite some time trying to make a perma-stun groundslammer and I was really disappointed about stun mechanics).

Edit: And what about using a stronger counter attack to stun bosses? You already need that to get Endurance Charges, so maybe exchange your actual Vengeance/Reckoning setup with Riposte + Melee Physical Damage + Stun + Endurance Charge on Melee Stun? Just saying...
Last edited by mas_mariano on Oct 14, 2016, 4:06:28 AM
"
"
Prior to making this guide, I used Doryani's Catalyst with this build (well, a similar one quite some time ago). I prefer Soul Taker because I think Marauder/Duelist area got better nodes for axes. Plus, forgetting about mana is really comfortable and allows you to put Hatred + HoA + AA (and you don't need to choose between damage or survivability).

If you decided to go with Doryani's, then Static Strike with PtL seems mandatory and you should take the route to Discipline & Training to get Blunt Instrument.

You make a very good argument. My decision came down to the fact that with catalyst you are kind of forced to use warlords mark to sustain mana. I will try the soul taker variant as I am very interested to see how much tankier this build can get with a defensive curse and arctic armour. I have a 6l laying in stash from a previous character this season, so I am going to experiment using a 6l instead of BoR. I'll likely need more block nodes in my tree to compensate, but I should have slightly more damage from a 6l, and over 50 life from gear. With the additional sockets from 6l chest and helm, I think it should be worth it. I'm planning on rolling with lioneye's at first, switching to aegis when I can afford some better hybrid armour ES gear.

I will also experiment with a BoR I have in stash to see which one is more effective. I'll keep you posted with what I find. Thanks for your insight.

Just in case you didn't read it already, there's a section on this guide explaining how to exchange BoR + Lioneye's with a 6L + Aegis. Is not exhaustive but it considers the most important things about going that way.

"
mas_mariano wrote:

Thanks for sharing!

Having Dirty Techniques and Gratuitous Violence with such APS, did you found mandatory to use Voidheart?

Exchanging that ring for a +INT plus resistances/life ring could free 4 points on tree right now (Diamond Skin & Hard Knocks), and taking out Path of Warrior, which is kinda poor, you could take Splitting Strikes right away.

What do you think?

Path of warrior double dips the bleed and the explosion, thats why I skilled it.

About Voidheart, idk if its mandatory. psn feels not that strong as I thought. But I won't miss vulnerbility tho.

I think I'll see soon what is possible and what not, and the map progression is really good, there isn't much besides chaos damage which really is dangerous for us.
█▀▀▌ █▌█▀▀▀ █▀▀▌█▄░▌
█▀▀█ █▌▀▀▀█ █░░▌█▀▌▌
█▄▄▌ █▌█▄▄█ █▄▄▌█░█▌
Hey I'm just wondering if a Ice Crash ~ Champion version of this build could work? and maybe some tweaks here and there to compensate the lost of block chance from Gladiator?

This are the items I have ATM, ignore the gems for obvious reasons... maybe tonight I'll buy a decent shield; Aurora or Remorse Idon't know yet!

Spoiler

Wthyr
Last edited by Venezuela on Oct 14, 2016, 1:03:03 PM
Came here just to thank you for this build.

I never would've imagined in my wildest dreams that a 1h + full block char would be this fun and still have this much damage.

Let me preface this by saying I started poe about a week before Prophecy ended, played an Earthquake Champion - and didn't like it.
Started Essence as a Bow char - which got me pretty depressed when I hit a giant wall that's called t13+ maps. It just really wasn't fun if you get killed by....almost anything, even if you do your best.

Rerolled this char - without expecting too much from it - and I'm so damn happy with it.

I can play almost any map mod with _very_ few exceptions (Blood Magic).
Phys/Ele-reflect? No problem.
Elemental weakness? Pah! I'm overcapped like mad.
Temp Chains? I'll just swap one ring for Time Clasp and be fine, as long as the map doesn't have ele weakness on top.
Maps with Chaos dmg? I change one ring to Ming's Heart. Done.

The only downside are degens, which you can avoid by just not standing in them.

Just yesterday I finished my first corrupted t15 - the boss felt more like T10.

I have to say I was a bit lucky with my rings, just for fun used a Chaos on each and got pretty good mods on them. And then I even found a Taste of Hate in an unchisel'd T11 when I tested my new damage with them.
And I got my enchant on BoR on first try.
So I'm pretty good for now. =)

For the ones interested in or thinking about the build: Go for it. You won't be disappointed.

My current Gear:
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Jay___/characters
Character is "gladirofler".

Some screenshots:
Unbuffed DPS: http://imgur.com/a/WaWT4
Buffed DPS without Frenzy Charges/Onslaught: http://imgur.com/a/7RySH
Unbuffed Defence: http://imgur.com/a/G8Gw7
Buffed Defence without Flasks: http://imgur.com/a/EvzgW
guys, i tried t11 Excavation Map and got destroyed! it was 2 unique, ele weakness and some other mod i cant remember. so there are now 6 bosses in a very small room
can some1 take a look my gear and tell me what went wrong, its my second ever poe build and first league, so plz be gentle, thx a lot
Spoiler

Excavation bosses are a bi**h. Don't worry about it too much.

Rolling this map with dual boss was...well. Not the best decision. ;)
With 2 of each, the small room will be plastered with fire and kill you.

The thing with those bosses is that only one is vulnerable at the time, you have to attack that one. If you have enough DPS you can just out-DPS their damage, but for now either play carefully and learn how the mechanics of that fight work - or avoid them.

I'm too lazy to calculate your res, but if you weren't res-capped for ele weakness, that was another nail in your coffin. :p

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info