Performance Improvements

"
Darkkrows wrote:
"
Chris wrote:
Draw Calls
Every object that has to be rendered in a scene is a Draw Call. Processing all of these consumes the CPU (in addition to whatever rendering later happens on the GPU). On Windows XP, this is especially slow. Reducing the number of Draw Calls helps improve performance in situations where the CPU is the bottleneck rather than the GPU.

We recently found a problem that affects certain types of lights in Path of Exile. It would dramatically increase the number of Draw Calls in the scene when those lights were present. We have already deployed a fix to this (which helped reduce Draw Calls) and have a Labyrinth-specific fix being tested for an upcoming patch.

64-bit DirectX 11 Client
In the future we plan to release an alternate Path of Exile client that is compiled as a 64-bit executable and will use DirectX 11 rather than DirectX9. This client will require Windows Vista or above (and a 64-bit CPU). The old client will still work for Windows XP or 32 bit machines, but won't have the performance improvements that come with DirectX 11. This release is planned for 2017.
You are going to hit the wall again with DX11. the Drawcalls difference between DX12 vs DX11 is day and night. DX11 vs DX9? Drawcalls is still a problem.

Why not just make a giant leap and jump to DX12? At leats that jump can run for several more years b4 switching again. By 2017 a lot of computer will be DX12 capable, those who arent can still use DX9.

I agree!
Great to hear, thanks for the write-up!
"
sklipnoty wrote:
"

Just because DX12 will be release doesn't mean that it will make a huge difference for path of exile. As mentioned, it may not be stable for some time resulting in even more trouble.

And you forgot another problem too: DX12 will work only on windows 10. GGG can't expect everyone to upgrade to Win10 so that they can play their game.

When it comes to switching POE's engine, I don't think this will happen anytime soon. This is a enormous and very expensive task and the time and money they spent to optimize the current engine will go to waste.

Perhaps the problem is that GGG's tries to support to many Potato's. I mean you need to put the bar somewhere. I prefer stability over wide-support.

Honestly It sounds to me like the only real fix for this game. What mess around for another 2 years to optimize the current engine? I'm they are rewriting whole portions of it, so why not do it good from the start?

First of all having an operating system older that Windows 10 does't make it a potato pc. My computer is prety decent but I use Windows 7. Does that mean that I have to upgrade to an operating system I don't want to just so that I can keep playing path of exile?

You prefer stability over wide-support? So what you are saying is that because you have an new system GGG should optimize the game caring only for your system, ignoring a huge portion of the playerbase they already have?

It's one thing making a new gaming that requires a new system and a completely different thing to givup on the majority of your playerbase just because they don't have the latest system/OS. Tell me, how many online games have you seen changing their engine or requirements after year of being active and saying that now only players who can upgrade can play?

In addition it is a good practice for companies to support as many systems as possible. Only huge companies with highly marketed blockbusters can afford to make games saying that they can only be supported by the latest system and even they still try to make their game playable to as many systems as possible.

You mentioned the word stability. What makes you think that working on a new framework (DirectX 12) will be more stable that working on an existing one that is being worked for quite some time? DirectX 12 may have new features, but in principle it won't be very stable in the begining because it is a new system.

Finally, I don't know the exact plan GGG has for their game engine, however generally changing the engine of a game is not a trivial task and it is certainly preferable to optimise the current engine, if this is feasible. Also changing some portions of the engine is still not the same as changing the engine entirely.
Thx for this type of content. I think this is very usefull to understand such a great love like PoE. And for me it is great to know, there is much more than only uniques and skill balancing.

Keep on with this excellent work.

I guess years ago you never had in mind to become so "big"
"
VarthDaver wrote:
Any chance you can let the client actually load the whole amount into RAM? Those of us with 16/32/64GB ram would likely trade initial load for removing lag.

Otherwise, glad to have the update!

It is indeed already possible, but I have no further knowledge about that. A friend just told me once.
Outstanding info. Thanks so much.
"
phmn wrote:
"
sklipnoty wrote:
"

Just because DX12 will be release doesn't mean that it will make a huge difference for path of exile. As mentioned, it may not be stable for some time resulting in even more trouble.

And you forgot another problem too: DX12 will work only on windows 10. GGG can't expect everyone to upgrade to Win10 so that they can play their game.

When it comes to switching POE's engine, I don't think this will happen anytime soon. This is a enormous and very expensive task and the time and money they spent to optimize the current engine will go to waste.

Perhaps the problem is that GGG's tries to support to many Potato's. I mean you need to put the bar somewhere. I prefer stability over wide-support.

Honestly It sounds to me like the only real fix for this game. What mess around for another 2 years to optimize the current engine? I'm they are rewriting whole portions of it, so why not do it good from the start?

First of all having an operating system older that Windows 10 does't make it a potato pc. My computer is prety decent but I use Windows 7. Does that mean that I have to upgrade to an operating system I don't want to just so that I can keep playing path of exile?

You prefer stability over wide-support? So what you are saying is that because you have an new system GGG should optimize the game caring only for your system, ignoring a huge portion of the playerbase they already have?

It's one thing making a new gaming that requires a new system and a completely different thing to givup on the majority of your playerbase just because they don't have the latest system/OS. Tell me, how many online games have you seen changing their engine or requirements after year of being active and saying that now only players who can upgrade can play?

In addition it is a good practice for companies to support as many systems as possible. Only huge companies with highly marketed blockbusters can afford to make games saying that they can only be supported by the latest system and even they still try to make their game playable to as many systems as possible.

You mentioned the word stability. What makes you think that working on a new framework (DirectX 12) will be more stable that working on an existing one that is being worked for quite some time? DirectX 12 may have new features, but in principle it won't be very stable in the begining because it is a new system.

Finally, I don't know the exact plan GGG has for their game engine, however generally changing the engine of a game is not a trivial task and it is certainly preferable to optimise the current engine, if this is feasible. Also changing some portions of the engine is still not the same as changing the engine entirely.

Well you can patch it up, as much as you want I'm afraid it won't solve the problems beneath.

Honestly you really want to turn this in a W7 vs W10 discussion? Because really? Go install W98, you still had privacy in that one or do me a favour and install Ubuntu/Fedora/Arch/... I mean people who still use W7 and think it's better then W10, have no real rational reason to do so. In any case W7 support will fade eventually and then you'll have to hop over. (4 years from now)

If you have even watched at the performance differences between Dx11 and Dx12, well I hope for you they are going to offer a seperate Dx12 package.

I'm not asking to cater for my specific system. I'm asking to make the game stable. Since I only had lag problems in the last leageus and now I have a ton more stability problems. In other words the changes affected these.

Honestly majority of player base? All people who posted here, posted pretty decent rigs. So perhaps if ggg releases some info on this, we can go further than assumptions. The fact is the stability is crap on high-end rigs and it shoudln't be.
Stephen Hawking runs better then this game .

Also see you in 2k17 !
chaotic neutral
"
"Normally we'd make these improvements without drawing attention to exactly how the game internals work or what was wrong."

Not exactly right choice, imho. People LOVE hear out that dev's know about problem, why the problem occured and if any solution will be worked out.

Also glad to hear about future plans, in my opinion 64x client with preload above 4GB limit is most needed right now.

Still this game is quite overwhelming right now. It geting to time consuming,
not only to make any progress but simple not to fall out. Is demand spend to much time to check the forums and poe.trade. Its getting dangerous out of the fun.
Even worse after Labirynth. I play on 3G and not have much chance to change that in near future.
I found one shot Labiryth out of the table for me, mostly because its take to long,
to hope some connection issues not occure. I give up Hardcore
because of this, and now I really fell I cannot play Standard, without important piece of game simply slip away out of my reach.

To complicated / time consuming mechanic, delegating important part of game outside like poe.trade or issues with cross player trade, and now important part of content becomes inaccessible - with most likely cripple my future performance in game even more than now?
I like the transparency.

I hope these fixes reduce the insane load times when the game boots up; without a SSD on a 5 year old PC it takes me a good, no joke or exaggeration, 5 minutes to open the game. I can open games like the Witcher 2 in about 20 seconds lol.

Glad they are working on the issues, though!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info