Performance Improvements

x64 dx11 hypo!!!!
> Alt Arts for Sale: /view-thread/3260276

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!
awesome! glad to hear about everything coming down the line. the asynchronous asset loading sounds amazing. Hopefully that can even unload assets if they are no longer present in a zone (Rogue exile is killed, unload special assets)
Just let us turn off Rain, ground effects, mtx and log in directly to our Hideout's. That takes you almost no development time, and allows tons of people with crap pc's to play. As a added note, it will allow the game to exist for at least a few more years without having to rehaul your entire engine.
So is Paris gateway still sending 1000s of messages on global chats? Didn't see that issue addressed.
Second-class poe gamer
DX11 HYPE
"
Chris wrote:

Conclusion
Normally we'd make these improvements without drawing attention to exactly how the game internals work or what was wrong. There has been a lot of discussion in the community about performance recently, so we hope that this post helps explain some of the technical challenges we're solving and some of the promising improvements that we hope to deploy. As you can see, some of the improvements will be very soon, and others will be released over the coming months. Several of our programmers are now permanently assigned to performance work, and we're already reaping the rewards of this investment. We greatly look forward to continuing to improve Path of Exile's performance as we release some of the exciting content and challenge leagues we have coming up.

As a College Student in computer science, and aspiring game dev, I found the technical details extremely interesting. Honestly, I'd like if you did more of these types of posts.
Also, it's good to know that you KNOW the problems that the game is facing right now, and are working on fixing them. And, while I know that fixing these problems takes time, everyone else might not. And, explaining some of the technical details might help with that.
GGG,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I hope these can get implemented sooner than later. I've noticed both annoying and severe freezes while playing on your Washington, DC server. My own trace logs report a clean connect with usually 20-30ms consistent latency and no change in that latency during the freezes. My system is also responsive with plenty of I/O, CPU, and GPU resources still available during those freezes.

Performance issues I'd like to see fixed (ie: what affects me with PoE)...

1.) Addressing those 2-3 second freezes with complex battle situations. I haven't changed my build, my system, nor my ISP, but the PoE server I connect to in Washington DC has grown worse and worse.

2.) Addressing the 10+ second freezes during gameplay when a new update is launched. This happened to me three times in a row during prime time right when Ascendancy was live. I assume it's because the servers were overloaded with requests when everyone logs in to try out the new content? It only happened that one night. I checked in Global chat and sure enough everyone was experiencing the same freezing.

3.) Lag spike when hovering over a Skill/Passive Gem that just dropped to pull up its description window. If I'm not in combat, hovering over it is usually no lag, but if I'm in combat or hover over it right when it drops, there's a 1 second lag spike.

4.) Latency in towns when heavily populated. Either reduce the number of people in each town instance or fix the server lag for these areas.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Last edited by cipher_nemo on Apr 6, 2016, 11:44:21 AM
Thanks! Biggest issue that I have seen is the initial loading screen when you first run the game. It can take 2 minutes +. Friends I have tried to turn on to this game have not even got past the first loading screen because they think the game has frozen when they first try to load it up.

Running 7200rpm hard drive, 16gb ram, i7 6700 so I know its not my system.
particle effects slider option when
Thx GGG - hard to find a group that opens themselves up to as much criticism and suggestion as you all. Really very refreshing. Keep up the good work!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info