SET FREE THE ASCENDANCY POINTS (or rework the lab) [New ascension methods/lab rework ideas]

There is no thrill anymore when people are just running shaped strand all day ( exaggeration here obviously, but you get the point I'm sure ).
I play hardcore for the thrill, and a bit for the economy ( but that is really minor to me ).
I also find HC much less brainless since one needs to be more careful, choices matter more, actions matter more, I kinda like that.

Some people surely do play for the thrill and that other facet that I just mentioned.
But people that complains that traps ignore defenses and therefore their character could die anytime ? I would guess bragging rights first of all ( not saying that they don't care about thrill / adrenaline at all of course ).
not speaking about players not having a stable connection here, that I can somewhat understand.

And in uber, Izaro can definitely be thrilling, and traps in the arena participate to that.
Trap gauntlets make you focus, which is the exact equivalent of yawning, that is : from a HC perspective.
Having actual big monsters during some trap gauntlets ( and having the gauntlets slightly )

And yes, I do believe that many HC players are there for the bragging rights, or just because they feel obliged to play HC for other reasons ( could be because of friends/guildmates playing HC for example ).
I know, you seem to like to see things the positive way, I'm not exactly like that.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Feb 23, 2017, 8:31:19 AM
"
Fruz wrote:
There is no thrill anymore when people are just running shaped strand all day ( exaggeration here obviously, but you get the point I'm sure ).

That kinda plays into what I mentioned before, it might not be true for you but I'd assume that most HC players try to minimize the risk. It isn't that lab is anti-HC at the concept level, it plays against the form of HC that exists in PoE.

Which I don't really like, by the way. I feel races do the HC thing much better because they force you to take more risks with time constraint, not a huge fan of that method myself but the game doesn't really try hard enough outside of races. Or, maybe we shouldn't say it doesn't try hard enough, maybe the potential loss is just too great because you get too attached to your character. That's probably the reason I'm getting much more kicks out of playing self-enforced HC in something like Borderlands than in PoE.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Well, let's say that with heaps of dps plus the possibilities of having very linear, simple, with easy bosses ( that gets instantly killed by meta builds anyway ... ) almost auto-sustaining red maps .............. does not push players to take risks at all :/
We can only assume that most players are used to just running that kind of maps now, mostly ( at high level -> those can can run uber ).
And that might have changed the HC mentality from what it was after 1.0 for example, I'm sure it has, but the game has also changed quite a bit ( that would be my point -> lab is HC, more like how PoE'HC was before ).

Everybody is (at least) somewhat minimizing the risks, but we are at a point where it has become a little ridiculous imho.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Feb 23, 2017, 10:18:50 AM
"
Fruz wrote:
I play hardcore for the thrill, and a bit for the economy ( but that is really minor to me ).
I also find HC much less brainless since one needs to be more careful, choices matter more, actions matter more, I kinda like that.

Some people surely do play for the thrill and that other facet that I just mentioned.
But people that complains that traps ignore defenses and therefore their character could die anytime ? I would guess bragging rights first of all ( not saying that they don't care about thrill / adrenaline at all of course ).
not speaking about players not having a stable connection here, that I can somewhat understand.

And in uber, Izaro can definitely be thrilling, and traps in the arena participate to that.
Trap gauntlets make you focus, which is the exact equivalent of yawning, that is : from a HC perspective.
Having actual big monsters during some trap gauntlets ( and having the gauntlets slightly )

And yes, I do believe that many HC players are there for the bragging rights, or just because they feel obliged to play HC for other reasons ( could be because of friends/guildmates playing HC for example ).
I know, you seem to like to see things the positive way, I'm not exactly like that.

I use to play HC for the thrill of almost dying and never for the bragging rights since i play solo and solo only there is no one to brag to anyway but that thrill is just not part of the game anymore for the most part. Only somewhat challenging content is lab, malachai and end game maps. I was never a competitive player or something i use to take my time and progress the game slowly and more carefully. In all my time playing this game i never take on atziri. The risk of dying was just not worth it for me and it never bothered me to lose on some content.

Remember when u needed to check and read the mods on every rare mob because that things could kill u and auras of multiple rares stacking also use to be a thing. That was the best era of PoE for me personally and i don want the game to become more casual i want game pace to slow down and base game to be harder not just the endgame. I was never interested in high tear endgame anyway. Best part of the game for me is leveling from lvl50 on and early to mid tear mapping till i hit something like lvl90. By that time i get bored of the char in most cases and exp gain just slows down to much to be fun anymore and i just reroll a new char.

Now in this breach league i played on standard for the first time and it is just as u put it, brainless.. And it was in this league that i played uber lab for the first time and after experiencing that long trap gauntlets with that new traps i can say right now im not setting my foot in that thing ever again. Its just not my cup of tea and considering im not planing to push any of my characters over lvl90 i dont have to..

But in a game like this where your only goal is to gear up, find better gear and become more powerful a mechanic that completely ignores your gear is just a bad mechanic. Why should traps in a normal lab be just as deadly to a level 100 char in full legacy gear as to level 1 char without any gear whatsoever? I kinda see why they did it if not evasion chars wuld get fucked but it still doesent really make much sense in a game like this..

Well I am not expecting people to fit perfectly into categories, I mean ... everybody has its own reason to play and its own fun ( I hear you about the speed of the game ).
I should have added "more or less" to the sentence.

And in many gauntlet, having armour reduces greatly the spike trap's damage, making the gauntlet overall much, much easier, saying that just "traps ignore gear" is not true.
Some traps do, sure, but not all.
About this, evasion chars do have it harder :S.

I am surprised to see that Uber lab feels awful to you compared to the other labs, it isn't that much longer ( if it is actually longer, I'm not even sure, but I've only ran Uber recently so ...), given that you can deal with some traps by destroying then.
Last edited by Fruz on Feb 23, 2017, 11:30:21 AM
Majority of builds are ranged.

Let's make people play more melee characters by having Izaro teleport anyone around him on top of traps.

"
1Riael1 wrote:
Majority of builds are ranged.

Let's make people play more melee characters by having Izaro teleport anyone around him on top of traps.

Until that part was added the fight was completely trivial for melee characters. There is a nice big warning before he teleports you off, during that time you can use a movement skill to move away or just walk out of the green bubble.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
Fruz wrote:
Well I am not expecting people to fit perfectly into categories, I mean ... everybody has its own reason to play and its own fun ( I hear you about the speed of the game ).
I should have added "more or less" to the sentence.

And in many gauntlet, having armour reduces greatly the spike trap's damage, making the gauntlet overall much, much easier, saying that just "traps ignore gear" is not true.
Some traps do, sure, but not all.
About this, evasion chars do have it harder :S.

I am surprised to see that Uber lab feels awful to you compared to the other labs, it isn't that much longer ( if it is actually longer, I'm not even sure, but I've only ran Uber recently so ...), given that you can deal with some traps by destroying then.

I dont think uber lab is longer then the others they seem to be same size overall only trap gauntlets get larger and more complex. I find the whole trap avoidance part tedious. The most annoying part is probably going in blind meany times.. And the fact that it feels forced on me to play it doesent really help either ( and it does feels forced just because AC points are more powerful then almost anything else on the skill tree )

I do no if i had an option to spend more time in the lab exploring for all kinds of hidden switches and/or rooms to disable traps i wud not mind if i had to spend 1 hour per damn thing.
It all comes down to player choice those who like it cud play it just like now and those that only want the points cud have more tools at there disposal with more time investment.

Id prefer an option to fully skip it but yea, thats not gonna happen :)

There is always an option not to do them, its called playing a non platform game.
"

I dont think uber lab is longer then the others they seem to be same size overall only trap gauntlets get larger and more complex. I find the whole trap avoidance part tedious. The most annoying part is probably going in blind meany times.. And the fact that it feels forced on me to play it doesent really help either ( and it does feels forced just because AC points are more powerful then almost anything else on the skill tree )

I do no if i had an option to spend more time in the lab exploring for all kinds of hidden switches and/or rooms to disable traps i wud not mind if i had to spend 1 hour per damn thing.
It all comes down to player choice those who like it cud play it just like now and those that only want the points cud have more tools at there disposal with more time investment.

Id prefer an option to fully skip it but yea, thats not gonna happen :)

I think that I would also enjoy an option with less traps ( or shorter gauntlets ) and more puzzles to be honest. I'd prolly use that way once in a while :).
But there should still be a risk in there imho, other than Izaro.

And I agree that some gauntlets are too long, but I think that GGG wants it that way, it does promote not panicking, reflexes and good and quick decision making but ... I can understand how it can be frustrating and scary.
Last edited by Fruz on Feb 23, 2017, 11:58:34 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info