Ancestral Protector

decided to make an AP build this league. Some notes:

The new masteries are awesome with AP. Tribal fury with the strike skills mastery, totem placement speed investment and the totems taunt mastery/ longer placement make for incredibly easy leveling and overall playing.

I went to using AP only at 38 when I got multiple totems.

Still waiting for them to release a version of Earthbreaker for strike skills.

on the live stream you guys wanted to know why we didnt like totems on mellee builds and why they feel bad to use.

when your making a build lets say bleed / impale / mellee elemental hit / phy hit

it feels like you have no options and it ruins the theme of the build having to summon every mellee build ruins the theme of what your making is a gem the YOU most put in your build no matter what your building because is just alot of free extra damage i wish there was options the give these same dmg buff without been a totem

this example also works on rituouse fire gem , no matter what spell yours using you always put on riguious fire because it just gives 30% more spell damage and lets say your playing a pure cold spell on hit and having fire spells around you ruins the theme of the build no matter what you play brands/ chaos/ ice / lightning there no reason to no put in riguous fire since is just free extra damage

this also applies to golems i wish there was a support gem the turns the golems into speres? the flowat around you instead of having a minion following you around i dont want a minion following me i just want the buff

Last edited by Pampu on Jan 11, 2024, 4:41:05 PM
So I was thinking about this interview, and it set my mind gears on a roll.

So, I would like to propose some changes

1. yes the two ancestral gems should get a remake.
2. What should it be? Well, we have Earthbreaker support, that focus on Slams.
We have Ballista that only works with bow and wand attack skills.
We have Focused Ballista that only works in tandem with you.
We have spell totem support, that only work with Spells
So i'm seeing a possible "Ancestral protector" that only works with Mace, sceptres and Staffs and uses what ever skill you have socketed that also only works with these weapon types.
And an "Ancestral Warchief" that only works with swords, axes and hold your horses, daggers. I wanted to add daggers as I wanted three weapon types per totem as I'm assuming ballista totem in poe2 will support crossbows.

AP should still focus on having additional Attack Speed but for it self instead of you as a player, this could give a nice playstyle of having strong slow weapons hitting faster then usual. AW should focus on the more melee damage, as this would be pretty nice with the already fast hitting weapons.

Additionally, I suggest swapping Ancestral Bond and Divine Shield on the passive Tree. Templar would still have 11 points to Ancestral Bond, but now so would Marauder. So now you can equally choose to be a marauder totem build or templar totem build and get the buff at the same level potentially. In addition, the duelist whom doesn't have it's own totem ascendancy, but does have a rather nice totem wheel at the bottom, would be able to get to ancestral bond at 17 skill points instead of 21. And the Witch, would move from 12 points to 16 points to get to ancestral bond creating a slight balance there too.
Ranger would move from 26 points to 25, neither path is good for them so they would focus on their own totem support wheel and the one from Duelist area.
Last edited by ghepip on Jan 12, 2024, 9:49:19 AM
Problem: Ancestral totems would stop attacking enemies around them while the player is not near them, in addition to not receiving the totem's buff effect. This would hurt players which use an Ancestral Protector setup as their main damaging skill.

Solution: Ancestral totems can now attack enemies near them regardless of the player's distance from them. Players receive the totem's buff as long as at least 1 totem is summoned, regardless of distance from it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info