gameinformer reveals the new Witch Ascendancy Class: The Occultist

I strongly disagree with the naysayers here saying cursing isn't already a thing. It most definitely. I'm running a lowlife hexacurser on blasphemy with 54% curse effectiveness which almost completely negates the 60% less curse effectiveness on bosses meaning I slow bosses down about 49%. That alone is very significant, but I also run 5 other curses including 44% quality enfeeble. This cursing character is enabling my map groups to safely do certain endgame bosses which would otherwise be rippy.
"
SaiyanZ wrote:
Curses are great but curse immune maps, which are quite common, renders the Maledication and Profane Bloom path completely useless. i.e. 4 wasted Ascendancy points.

And blood magic and reduced regeneration bricks entire builds, its not a big deal.
"
Adser wrote:
"
xMustard wrote:

nobody will be making a curse central character in this game until they change the boss resistance to curses.

We already have enough increased curse effectiveness to counter bosses resistance, and this class will probably give us extra curse effectiveness. You can already almost shut down a boss with temp chains and/or enfeeble.

really? where are you getting it? 10% from gem, either curse on hit or blasphemy, and there is a MAXIMUM of 40% in the passive tree, if you get all curse passives available, which you probably won't. 50% total.
you can use the one unique jewel, thats another 4%, and dying breath unique gives 18%. you can have an absolute maximum 72% curse effect. without dying breath though you're not even completely overcoming the reduction.

so if you want to spend 15-25 passives (nodes+travel nodes) PURELY to counter bosses natural resistance to curses....well i'd question your efficiency thats for sure.
i guess it could be worth it if you ran like 5 curses, but i don't even think 5 curses is worth sacrificing things for.
"
xMustard wrote:

really? where are you getting it? 10% from gem, either curse on hit or blasphemy, and there is a MAXIMUM of 40% in the passive tree, if you get all curse passives available, which you probably won't. 50% total.
you can use the one unique jewel, thats another 4%, and dying breath unique gives 18%. you can have an absolute maximum 72% curse effect. without dying breath though you're not even completely overcoming the reduction.

so if you want to spend 15-25 passives (nodes+travel nodes) PURELY to counter bosses natural resistance to curses....well i'd question your efficiency thats for sure.
i guess it could be worth it if you ran like 5 curses, but i don't even think 5 curses is worth sacrificing things for.

That 50% increased leaves you with a 10% decreased vs bosses, that's good enough (AM goes from 10% crit to 9%, yeah it's not a great loss). The curse nodes close to important witch passives, the only one a bit far is the one in the middle but I have to go there anyway to get the increased duration nodes. In total I use the incredible amount of 11 points to get all curse passives.

The class itself will prob have some extra curse effectiveness and gives you a 3 curse limit without using any unique. So yeah, it's worth a lot and depending on your build the sacrifices are minimal.

You must also think that Mind over Matter is the worst keystone ever too, since it requires a much higher investment in both nodes and equipment and gives less damage mitigation than Enfeeble, even against bosses.
Last edited by Adser on Feb 13, 2016, 8:26:16 PM
I feel like this is the only "Safe" choice for Witches. The Elementalist is too On-Kill Heavy and very reliant on timed-procs.

Granted you'll pretty much have to pick up either a bit of Chaos Damage or make a use out of the Power Charges.
Just another Forum Signature in a Sea of Signatures.
Last edited by Atomic_Noodles on Feb 14, 2016, 4:09:19 AM
When you are going to add these classes to the database? I want to see the small skill points !!!
I might finally try out an energy shield character with this class. I haven't bothered to try that since beta, as it's never been good enough for a player like me who doesn't trade.
I'm still not able to access the gameinformer site, alot of EU folks aren't, could GGG maybe post a video on their youtube channel ?
"
Nozumi wrote:
I'm still not able to access the gameinformer site, alot of EU folks aren't, could GGG maybe post a video on their youtube channel ?

I too love lack of response from GGG...

I guess within one or two weeks they will upload it onto YouTube.

"
Adser wrote:
"
xMustard wrote:

That 50% increased leaves you with a 10% decreased vs bosses, that's good enough (AM goes from 10% crit to 9%, yeah it's not a great loss). The curse nodes close to important witch passives, the only one a bit far is the one in the middle but I have to go there anyway to get the increased duration nodes. In total I use the incredible amount of 11 points to get all curse passives.

The class itself will prob have some extra curse effectiveness and gives you a 3 curse limit without using any unique. So yeah, it's worth a lot and depending on your build the sacrifices are minimal.

You must also think that Mind over Matter is the worst keystone ever too, since it requires a much higher investment in both nodes and equipment and gives less damage mitigation than Enfeeble, even against bosses.
Nope. Remember that these eff increases are your "buff" while reduced curse eff is buff on bosses. So these two aren't just added/subtracted, oh no mister.
You actually will have 1.72(your eff) * 0.6(boss eff reduction) = 1.032. Only 3% increased effectiveness in the end. And that's with DB.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info