[2.1][Talisman HC] Rolling Flames Fireball + Vaal Fireball too! Almost 300% Inc. AOE

I've been trying out a good handful of threshold jewels and found that Rolling Flames is particularly effective, fun too! Seeing as there isn't a 2.1 fireball build for witch listed yet I thought I'd put one up.

This build will let you destroy enemies from off-screen with the power of huge, shotgunning explosions thanks to the Rolling Flames threshold jewel. It uses Vaal Fireball as well, to great effect. It will clear just about the entire screen, even off-screen areas too. It's almost like a baby version of Vaal Spark. This build is also simple and cheap. Doesn't really require anything expensive. It's quite similar to the rolling flames build posted in the shadow forum, except this one is a bit more durable-focused for HC, with things like Mind Over Matter, endurance charges, CWDT IC, and more life nodes.

Leveling Tree:
Spoiler
If you need guidance for leveling, here's a basic idea of the low level tree:

Level will flame totem and firestorm, or whatever you prefer if you like something else that works.

You can sacrifice some health nodes here and there, or even save the entire shadow side for later to get the jewels online earlier, if you wish.

After the jewels, get celestial judgement/punishment then get more health.

Tree:

If you are new to threshold jewels, you'll notice some very weird pathing, namely, extra travel nodes acquired purely to meet the threshold. All intentional, of course.

Some things to consider:

-Get extra mana nodes like Dreamer and Soul Siphon if you are having mana problems.
-Ignore that extra endurance charge if you aren't gonna use enduring cry.

Once you complete the above tree, you have two choices on how to proceed from there.

A. Get more health by getting the extra life nodes around the notables.
B. Get more damage by getting either Heart of Flame or Celestial Judgement + Celestial Punishment. I recommend this first, or resists will make your life miserable.

At level 90-ish your tree should look like this:

Gear:
Spoiler
Weapon:

A damned near perfect scepter for this build. Wands can of course work as well.

Like any non-crit spell build, Pledge of Hands is an awesome choice. Switching to a 4-link pledge from my displayed sceptre and shield made my DPS go down by 3k, so a 5-link is probably important. It also made my flame surge go down by around 4k. By using a Pledge, I could put flame surge on my 5-link chest, so that DPS issue can probably be alleviated. On the upside, my mana went up to 1.6k, making this a great choice for MoM builds like this one.

Shield:

Spell damage, life, and energy shield. Any resistances are nice too.

Helm:

Life, energy shield, resistances.

Chest:

You can get away with a 4-link, but a 5-link is greatly preferred. Beyond that, life, energy shield, resistances.

Gloves:

Life, energy shield, resistances.

Boots:

Life, energy shield, resistances, and movespeed.

Jewelery:

Life, and resistances. Mana and energy shield are nice additions if you can get them. If you can get an amulet with spell damage and/or cast speed too, even better. A jade amulet base is very useful for the dexterity that is needed. Any of the amulet bases that involve Strength/Dexterity/both are useful.

If you are having mana problems, this amulet will fix it quickly. It will also help you meet those steep DEX requirements. It's not such a huge loss of potential durability if you are using MoM.

Flasks:

Seething flasks are favored to heal as quickly as possible. You'll want ones that remove bleed, and freeze, the two most dangerous status effects. A granite with increased armor for those dangerous moments when many mobs are close to you, and a movement speed quicksilver to get around quickly. You can replace one of the life flasks for another utility flask, like a topaz, if you prefer.

Mana Reservations:
Spoiler
Arctic Armour: Helps to mitigate damage when casting, and mitigates the fire damage reflected back at you when firing at an elemental reflect rare.
Clarity: Fireball with GMP and 2/3 other links is very expensive. You'll need it.

At this point you'll have room for one more aura but it will greatly dampen the usefulness of MoM, so be careful.

Gems & Links:
Spoiler
Main link (5-link):
Fireball > Greater Multiple Projectiles > Spell Echo > Controlled Destruction > Concentrated Effect

Once again a 5-link is greatly preferred, try to find a 5-link base on poe.trade. Take out controlled destruction if you still only have a 4-link. If you get a 6-link, add in either Fire Penetration, or Faster Casting.

Single Target (4-link):
Flame Surge > Spell Echo > Concentrated Effect > Controlled Destruction

Flame Surge is amazing for single target DPS. You can even use flame dash to ignite enemies for the 50% increased damage.

Firestorm works like a charm too. Same links. It doesn't hit quite as hard but can be used from range.

Vaal Fireball (4-link):
Vaal Fireball > Spell Echo > Controlled Destruction > Concentrated Effect

This shit right here combined with Rolling flames will make nearly everything disappear. It may even pay it's own next cost with the kills it gets.

Cast When Damage Taken (4-link):
Immortal Call > CWDT > Increased duration > Enfeeble

Use vorici, or perhaps a ES/Armor hybrid base to get those red sockets. Personally, I use my sceptre for three red sockets and put enfeeble attached to a separate, level 1 CWDT. Enduring Cry is used to make charges for IC.

Movement Skill (2/3-link):
Pick one:

Flame Dash > Faster Casting (if you have room)

Flame dash is recommended since it can be used to ignite enemies for Flame Surge.

Lightning Warp > Reduced Duration > Faster Casting (if you have room)

More range, but a bit more of a delay. Great for opening boxes.

Everything Else:
Put these wherever:

Arctic Armour
Clarity
Chaos Golem
Enduring Cry

Bandit Choices:
Spoiler
Normal: Help Oak. (+40 Health)

Cruel: Help Alira (5% increased casting speed), or if you feel that 5% cast speed is negligible, just kill all instead. (+1 Skill Point)

Merciless: Help Oak (+1 Endurance Charge), or, if you aren't going to run endurance charges then just kill all instead. (+1 Skill Point)

Jewels:
Spoiler

Duh.

You need 5 of them for this build. Try to get as close to the max roll of 15% increased fire damage as possible, it really adds up, and we don't get a lot of damage from the tree.

Videos:

Enjoy!

Questions? Suggestions? Post them!
Last edited by sumding on Feb 18, 2016, 5:24:14 PM
Last bumped on Apr 18, 2016, 1:09:50 PM
I will be trying out this build, I will update with how it is going and what i think of it along the way. From what i see so far it seems pretty good and also nice to see fireball be playable again.
I am also happy that fireball is pretty damn good now, at least with this threshold jewel. It'll be good to hear some feedback too, so thanks!
Hey i wanted to know if you have tryed to use spell totem + frost wall to make the fireballs explode and if flame surge is better or not
The projectiles fly right through frost wall. Apparently this was intentional, a nerf to Kinetic Blast. Would be great if it did work.

Flame Surge is much stronger than firestorm in terms of damage, from my experience. Very fast base cast speed and then 50% more damage on burning targets. You have two ways to ignite enemies, too.
"
The projectiles fly right through frost wall. Apparently this was intentional, a nerf to Kinetic Blast. Would be great if it did work.

Flame Surge is much stronger than firestorm in terms of damage, from my experience. Very fast base cast speed and then 50% more damage on burning targets. You have two ways to ignite enemies, too.

If it's casted by a spell totem or a trigger gem it works, i've done it with spell totem and it was cool, gonna try flame surge, deleted my char thought i'm levelling a new one
Huh. I need to try that out. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: Just tried it. Doesn't work. It will lay down all the walls at the same time, which is sometimes enough to block half the fireballs. Just doesn't cut it unfortunately. Much simpler to just ignite the target and use flame surge.
Last edited by sumding on Jan 4, 2016, 4:55:18 PM
Sounds very interesting, please upload a video of a map run. No need for commentary or any fancy editing.
"
h1ghb1rd wrote:
Sounds very interesting, please upload a video of a map run. No need for commentary or any fancy editing.

I'm working on it, I can assure you of that. I have very slow internet however, so it will take a long while. It will be up eventually. I'll probably start with some small clips.
Got a video up. Youtube's being a jerk right now so all I managed to upload is a tiny clip showing off Vaal Fireball with the jewels. I'll have a map run uploaded, eventually.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info