[WIP]PewPewPews Official Cheap Firestorm Build - Levelling Guide and Mapping

"
Cocofang wrote:
You gotta think of your target audience here.

Who will read through all of that when he just picked the game up? Or if they are lost? Generally speaking: Nobody will.

All your efforts will amount to a few veterans, that don't need this guide, saying "Good job, good guide" but nobody will ever use it because it is overbearing.

Keep it short. Keep it sharp. Always think "Could I bring the point across with fewer words?" Use as FEW words as possible! I mean that! Ask yourself "Do I need a complete sentence for that or would a even shorter bulletpoint do?"
Make it as condensed as it can be. Make it short upfront but provide the "wall of text" in spoilers for people that want it. So they can get your message instantly but if they are unsure, they can also look at the explanation.

Less is more here. Because if it is more by default nobody will use it.
A good guide gives me the infos I need at a glace. If you intend this to be actually useful for other people and not just a little side project for yourself, keep that in mind.

Here is a quick example:
"
Hillock
- Big but weak
- Kite him with fireball
- Use health/mana flasks to outlast him
Spoiler
While big and intimidating, he is nothing but a pushover. Keep your distance, and use your fireball to melt him down. Once he reaches half HP, he will regenerate a bit of his health, and deal more damage with his basic attacks. Just keep firing your fireballs until he runs out of health. If you are running low on health, don't forget to use your flasks.

Also: Explain your color codes and make them less intrusive. The bright and strong colors are unpleasant to the eye.

As a side note: Why shouldn't a new player pick up blue items? Remember they don't have anything. Vendoring blues to acquire Orb of Transmutations is good for a completely new player.

Yeah it has become quite the amount of text. I have been thinking how I could organize things. Thought about making short gifs to show new players how to do something, or cards with ratings, how hard a boss is, how fast he is etc etc. For now, I just wanted to see how far I'll get, and what people actually want from the guide.

But you are right, less is more. I probably will do some major editing once I have the first four acts ready. That way, I have some time to think things over, read some more feedbacks, and perhaps decide on whether I'm going to do it really big(pictures and everything), or just keep it with words haha.

A legend for the colors is a good one. It's probably going to be in the introduction. The whole introduction is going to be bigger anyways, probably explain how you can use the guide etc. I'll be honest, I never had any problems with the bright colors really. Might be my screen though, or flux. I'll try to tinker around a bit.

As for the magic items - this is just based on my experience in new leagues, but identifying blues early on will only deplete your scrolls at a very fast rate. You won't have any when you kill Brutus - especially if you have one or two gold rings equipped by then. Might be just 30% IR, but it is noticeable :) Same for Merveil. Id scrolls are rare early game. And you don't want to sell whetstones for a few.
Plus, you won't need a large amount of orbs until you get far in the game. I don't see any reason to roll multiple alterations on an item before Act 3 Cruel really. Especially when you are going with a caster, where obtaining a good weapon isn't all that important.

Thanks, keep it up!
I am a nice guy.
Looking for cheap builds/builds for beginners? Check out one of my guides! /806789
Jesus christ that's dedication. I hope you are having fun writing it, I totally get why you would want to do that. But at the same time, very few people will actually read it.

I think you either go all-in old-school game strategy guide like you are doing know or cutting the amount of text by about 90%. I think there are a lot of quick guides out there so I don't mind seeing this in-depth guide at all. I've saved it to read tomorrow. Good job!
Good job. On the other hand, I can't imagine myself reading this... not even as a new player. Hopefully someone will find this usefull.
Nice guide man
Wonderful job mate. I will definitely recommend this to my friends.
Free Atziri Service - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1458846
Thanks for the guide man, I've been struggling with hillock for a week and a half thinking how the hell was I supposed to beat him but now I finally did it after reading your guide, can't thank you enough. Keep up the good work.
Last edited by Nezrul on Jan 5, 2016, 4:09:26 PM
This guide is great, I hope you keep at it. I don't mind the length or depth, there are probably a lot of others who feel the same. (as someone just getting into the game)
i just started playing and this guide is the only reason i was able to get past this game's somewhat high barrier to entry. thanks!
Hey awesome guide that was really helpful for me as i wanted to get back into the game.
I'm now in Act 2 on Cruel and i was wondering what was the best choice for the bandits, because of course the skill point seems really appealing but since with this build cast speed is also important helping alira might be good aswell.
I just wanted to hear your opinion on this matter, i hope you'll recover quickly and thanks again for the guide.
if anyone asks me how to get started i send him this
nice one!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info