How to Avatar of Fire?

Hi there. Usually I only play ranged characters, but this avatar of fire keystone is intruiging me. Would anybody share some advice on how to build a strong Avatar of Fire templar?

Disregard witches, aquire currency.
1)Get a templar.
2)Get Weapon Elemental Damage nodes.
3)Rush to Avatar of Fire node.
4)???
5)Profit.

No but really, remember that now all your physical damage becomes fire and react accordigly(don't be raped by elemental reflect).
Last edited by Illedran on Dec 25, 2011, 10:13:11 AM
If enemy says

Resist Fire, it means you will do less damage to it.

Flasks that says "Leech 2% life/mana during recovery" wont work for you.

Life leech % items wont work for you.

If you fight a player with 75% resist fire, it means they will only take 25% of the damage.

If you fight enemies with purple aura, be very carefull, because they will give you 25% of the damage you cause to them, INSTANTLY, not over time.
"It feels like holding my breath under water constantly." Me about the limited "life expectancy" of the inventory space on Path of Exile and frequent needs to go to town to unload.
Well, I think I should ask more specific questions. I kinda figured myself that I have to take Avatar of Fire to have Avatar of Fire... ;)

* After getting the Keystone, what passive clusters are a good investment?
* Are you going 1h+shield or 2h? Which weapon type in general are you using and why?
* Whats the defensive plan?
* What stats on items other than increased elemental damage, increased elemental damage on weapons and increased fire damage have priority in default league? Are you looking out for int/str or pure str armor pieces?
* What skills and which support gems are you using?
* What quest rewards in act 2 did you take?
* Did you take any other keystones, for example resolute technique?
Disregard witches, aquire currency.
Last edited by dust7 on Dec 25, 2011, 3:25:04 PM
I have a 58 AoF Templar in the legacy league. I haven't had much time to level my re-rolled AoF Templar in 9.5 because of the X-mas holiday. He is only 28 at the time of this post.

"
dust7 wrote:
* After getting the Keystone, what passive clusters are a good investment?

This one is simple: Grab the 6 Weapon Elemental Damage nodes. The 6 nodes = 110% WED

"
dust7 wrote:
* Are you going 1h+shield or 2h? Which weapon type in general are you using and why?

I am using staves for this current build. More overall damage using staves versus 1H+Shield.

"
dust7 wrote:
* Whats the defensive plan?

Str armor. I grabbed the 4 armor % nodes before I headed for the AoF.

"
dust7 wrote:
* What stats on items other than increased elemental damage, increased elemental damage on weapons and increased fire damage have priority in default league? Are you looking out for int/str or pure str armor pieces?

I look for Accuracy & Attack Speed along with the mods you mentioned. I had 90% accuracy on my Legacy Templar without the passives. Sadly my current lvl 28 only has 75% and misses way too often. As for the armor, I like to look for HP & HP regen along with the Increased Armor mods on STR armor. And the usual Attack Speed on gloves, Movement Speed on boots.

"
dust7 wrote:
* What skills and which support gems are you using?

My personal preference is Glacial Hammer & Infernal Blow. You can 1 or 2 hit most magical mobs through Chaos with these 2 skills. And bossed/rares are silly easy with GH. For AoE, I prefer Ground Slam.

GH/IB + Cold DMG(Melee DMG wasn't working with AoF in 9.4 & haven't tested it yet in 9.5., I would use use Melee in Cold's place) + Weapon Elemental DMG + Fire DMG
GS + Concentrated AoE + AoE Increased Radius + WED + Life gained on Hit

That was my support gem set-up in 9.4. I could never find a 6 slot linked item so I stuck with my two 5 linked items(Staff & Armor).

I used GH or IB depending on the mob resists. And I used Life on Hit with GS because I lost the ability to leech when I acquired AoF. If HP leech isn't an issue for you, you could substitute Melee DMG, WED, or Chance to Ignite, for Life on Hit.

"
dust7 wrote:
* What quest rewards in act 2 did you take?

Passive points.

"
dust7 wrote:
* Did you take any other keystones, for example resolute technique?

No, I grabbed crit passives + burn damage. Resolute technique is a possibility, but I like using GS and watching large groups of mobs burn to their death as I move on to other groups of mobs.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof."

-Christopher Hitchens

Last edited by mdavis588 on Dec 25, 2011, 4:40:09 PM
Do the AoF bow build :P
Chars : Brooke, TheSlowOne, ZapBranigan, RaWR, RaWRmao, RaWRville
"
Flasks that says "Leech 2% life/mana during recovery" wont work for you.

Are you absolutely certain?

I am fairly certain that Flasks with leach work for spells, and so should work for Avatar of Fire.

Oh, wow, you seem to be right.

God damnit. At least life leach doesn't work. Mana leach... ok probably doesn't work.
Last edited by konfeta on Dec 25, 2011, 6:34:01 PM
"
RaWRpewpew wrote:
Do the AoF bow build :P

Please share this build, as I am trying to figure out just how to incorporate frenzy with AoF when they are so far away on the passives map.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." A. Einstein
Beta Testers = Insane
Might be stating the obvious here drews, but if you start as templar, grab AoF, and then go for frenzy charges, you'll have full frenzy charge along with AoF around lvl 60. Then you'll be left with whatever you care to grind past 60 for defensives :P
IGNs:
StopTouchingMeDude - Invasion - 84 Fire Trap/AA/MoM
No leech % of the damage works with AOF.

Be it items, flasks or passives.

The reason why the description on flasks doesnt specifically mention "physical" type of damage is because if you look at the pattern of wording used to describe flasks, it would end up being a big sentence.

"Added 2% life leech on all physical attacks during the recovery period"

I did tested it and it didnt worked. So yeah, the feedback here is to fix the description to match.

"It feels like holding my breath under water constantly." Me about the limited "life expectancy" of the inventory space on Path of Exile and frequent needs to go to town to unload.
Last edited by Interesting on Dec 28, 2011, 5:44:49 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info