[2.1] Essence Drain / Poison Bino's Witch (Pre 2.1.1B)

The 2.1.1B patch fixed this build, it is still viable as is, I still managed to kill Atziri but the clear speed just seems... meh.
I'm pretty sure it still has it's place and uses, but I'm off to find my poison fix elsewhere. Bino will be back!

Transition Build Posted: Bino's Kitchen Blade Fall

Updates: latest: 24/12/2015 00:06 CET
Spoiler
Update 24/12/2015 00:06 CET
Turns out Shadow play screwed me over on my recordings and I've allready moved the character on to something similar but new so I won't be posting an upto date video. You'll just have to take my word for it when I say clear speed is down, it's still Atziri viable, but was a hell of a lot more difficult with such lower poison numbers.
Don't get me wrong, I fully agree with the fix, my only regret is not having marked this thread with a huge "Bugged Build" disclaimer.

Update 23/12/2015 18:18 CET
Corrected bad poison math, I was using the sum of multipliers rather than the product.

Update 23/12/2015
"
GGG_Neon wrote:
Version 2.1.1b

Bug Fixes:
  • Fixed a bug where skills (from both players and monsters) which dealt chaos damage over time were doing far too much damage when supported by Poison.
  • Fixed a bug where Contagion could be cast and spread through walls.

I'll be posting an updated video this evening so that people can judge for themselves if the clear speed of this build is still worth playing. I've tried it out quickly and it seems decent enough.
(Numbers posted below are the correct ones, as best I can tell Poison was calcultating of of EDs DoT, meaning that instead of upto 16k poisons, it was applying 30k poisons)

Update 22/12/2015

- Added number crunching based on information provided here
- Updated "A few notes on build and concept." Section
- Added Con: Poor in group play

Forword
This isn't intended as a full build guide, just the guide lines to do it yourself, or a proof of concept if you will. It is afterall, pretty strait forward.

Please forgive me if this is a bit jumbled up. The passive tree could surely be improved upon, this is just how I ended up building it for softcore, but I have no doubts than in the hands of a decent player and with a few tweaks for more life, it would be hard core viable.

Don't hesitate to give feedback and I'll answer any questions!

Videos: Pre 2.1.1B
Spoiler
Latest:
Mixed gameplay, boss kills at the end Malformation / Necropolis / Atziri
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTaKlQ7Rhjg

The first part just shows off the stupid high life regen from bino's poison
Followed by some gameplay (pardon the low level maps, DAMN YOU RNGSUS!!)
Skip to the end for gear / gem setup highlighting
https://youtu.be/EhpC0tKDUNs

Boss fights
Necropolis / Malformation / Crematorium bosses
(Bonus Bino's poison vs Karui spirit SRS)
https://youtu.be/qd0wtPotduU

Number Crunching!
Single target max potential*: 121 868 DPS
AoE Average**: 49 339 DPS
Spoiler
*Single Target based of the impossible situation of having x seconds to constantly cast and determined from 4.2s onward. (VERY UNREALISTIC)
Spoiler
(6202 + 15710 + (7x8975) + 1086) x 1.42 = 121868

** AoE based as of killing the first three targets and admitting that the poison from the second two kills spread their damage evenly to all the succeeding monsters. Put it this way, it can go a hell of a lot higher if the mobs are closer to each other, or in a fracture map! (MORE COMMON NUMBER THAN YOU'D THINK)
Spoiler
1.42(15710.4+1086.7+2(8975)) = 49339

Numbers used:

Tooltip:
ED Initial Hit : 2611-3904
ED DoT : 15710.4
ED Tooltip : 6202
Contagion DoT : 1086.7

Damage booster:
Spoiler

Passive tree
100% SD
134% DoT
186% Chaos
30% Projectile
125% Poison
Gear
30% DoT
83% SD
Gems
ED:
110% SD
115% Poison
43% More SD
38% More DoT
38% More Chaos

Average poison damage 8975 per stack
Spoiler
Total additive =1.00+1.00+1.34+1.86+0.30+1.25+0.30+0.83+1.10+1.15= 10.13
Total Multiplicative =1.43x1.38x1.38= 2.72
(min)x = 261.1x10.13x2.72 = 7194
(max)x = 390.4x10.13x2.72 = 10756

Max Poison Stacks with ED Spam: 7
Spoiler
Poison Duration 2s x 1.5 (Skill duration from Tree) x 1.40 (Temp Chains) = 4.2s
Casts of ED in 4.2s = 4.2/0.56 = 7.5
7 Stacks Max

Max Wither Stacks: 6
Spoiler
Duration: 0.5 x x 1.5 (Skill duration from Tree) x 1.40 (Temp Chains) = 1.05
Cast of Wither in 1.05s = 1.05/0.16 = 6.5

Pros and Cons
Spoiler
Pros:
- A true kiting build, hit and run at it's best.
- No map mods are out of the question. (Special notice for Fracture maps... Seriously nothing is funnier.)
- Could be built as a shadow, templar. The Witch is the sexiest though. (will ascension change things? Hopefully)
- Atziri viable

Cons:
- Poor in group play as Bino's won't Proc
- I've built it in Soft Core, perhaps the damage results would suck in Hard Core as so much more of the passive tree would go into boring old health nodes.

A few notes on build and concept.
Spoiler
When 2.1 was first annouced my immediate reaction was Bino's Kitchen knife is going to be OP. Logic dictated an attack build. But then I glanced at the mecanics behind Essence Drain (ED) and Contagion (Cont).

Contagion deals little damage, even in a five link and passive tree set up aimed at boosting Chaos Damage over Time, tool tip for the DoT is 3448.8DMG/s whereas ED's DoT in the same 5 link is at 15710.4DMG/s. But any monster dying with both Contagion and ED will spread the two.

Poison applied by ED benefits from all the same damage bonuses, including spell damage, this gives poison the perfect synergy with the ED contagion combo. However the poison can only be appllied by ED's initial hit. That's where Bino's Kitchen Knife comes in.

When you kill that first monster with the ED Contagion combo, not only will ED be Spread, but the highest active poison will also spread with it. What's more, 2 monsters poisoned in this way that would die in close proximity with a third will both place their highest stack onto this monster upon death. This can and will create huge chain reactions where the highly buffed poison applied by EDs initial hit can chain stack over a tightly packed group of monsters.

But that's not all, the regen is currently granting me close to 30k HP/S when it procs (This seems buggy*), meaning that when this is active (3s as it is affected by Skill Duration from the tree), only an out right one shot will kill you.

This combination of synergetic bonuses to ED and it's applied Poison and the spreading effect of Bino's makes this setup, in my opinion, one of the most potent and safe "Poison builds" currently available.

About the gear:
The only thing stricly necessary is Bino's kitchen knife, without it it's just a Cont + ED build.

Current Gear:
Spoiler

Gem setup:
Spoiler

6L
Essence Drain
Void Manipulation
Rapid Decay
Poison
Iron Will
Controlled Destruction

Poison to enable the heavy DoT on death spread, the rest is just mind distorting amounts of multipliers.
I'd drop Iron Will on a five link, but it justifies getting a higher STR pool for that sweat DEF+OFF in one stat.
Empower instead of IronWill is a decent option, though the loss of spell power to feed Controlled Destruction would mean a less potent poison, but would be an approximate gain of 3000DMG/S on EDs DoT.

4L
Contagion
Increased Area of Effect
Faster Casting
Increased Duration (Currently using enhance as I've got a 3B 1G instead of 3B 1R)

Self casting works out better than I initially thought, there still is no need to support the damage from contagion, I've found that getting it out quicker and over a larger area is much more valuable.

4L
Wither
Increased Area of Effect
Faster Casting
Spell Totem

Excellent for those boss fights or for mobs with huge life pools / Chaos resistance.

3L
Whirling Blades
Faster Attacks
Fortify

The ultimate escape and defensive buff combo

4L (Alpha Howl)
Grace / Haste
Blasphemy
Temporal Chains
Enlighten

- Most Auras don't do much for this build, you are dealing 100% chaos damage so any Phys / Ele boosts are useless. We've got Acrobatics, so Discipline or Determination are also pointless.
- Blasphemy Temp chains is basically a Haste + Duration Gem Aura. Your poisons, ED, Contagion and Wither all benefit from Temp Chains as they will last 40% longer.
- Grace / Haste I'm on the fence on this one, Grace adds approx 20% evade chance whereas the added speed of Haste lets you better control your character, you are locked down casting for less time and you run quicker. For Atziri for instance I won't hesitate a second in taking Haste over Grace.

3L
Cast when Stunned
Chaos Golem
Skeletrons

I prefer CwS over CoDT as it allows you to use high level gems to cast. I generally get stunned by phys damage, popping out a high level Chaos Golem in those cases is the perfect answer. If I ever start to get chain stunned the the Skeles work as a distraction.

Passive Tree Level 90:
Last edited by SicNNasty on Dec 27, 2015, 8:34:31 AM
Last bumped on Mar 15, 2016, 1:52:27 PM
I have been playing a very similar build on the new league so far im very impressed and once i get hands on a bino ill trying this out too but yeh so far it interesting gameplay.

It doens't fit in with the shoot everything gameplay most ppl used to with this build it more important to wait to see what get Cont applied and "aim" your ED at that group after that the screen melts.

the only difference between our build is i wanted to go further into the mapping and needed a defensive layer other than regen.

so i went a few points into acrobatics helps ALOT.

i wonder what else is out there to fit in with this build.

so far im lvl 63. i have the shittiest self found gear but im doing 9800 DoT with ED.
add a vul curse for the bosses and the screens just melt away.

Heres my tree -
Spoiler

http://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwMBAx4EBwSzBbUF-QZwBx4Jqg5IES0RLxGWE20UCRa_HNwfAh9BIuomiCaVKwosnC0fMHEyATLRNj06WESrRUdFnUkTSVFLeEyzTp9SU1KvU1JVS1WuVcZcQF3yYeJirGf8aPJqjGyMdZ52gnp_fIN_xoIQg9uD94fLieCNv48aj6aP-pMflSCVLpcGl5WX9JrgmyadqqEiogCiQKKjotmnm6yYrUqw2LIZtMW00bVItzC7TcBmwJrB88LswzrEosgMyBTPFc961CPZ_N1f3ajfsOZY6NbrY-vu8B_w1fT49W_31w==

i plan to run the following gem set ups when i get the links.
Spoiler
6L
Essence Drain
Void Manipulation = More :)
Rapid Decay = More :)
Poison
Slower Proj = More :)
Controlled Destruction = More :)

4L
Contagion
Spell tot
Inc Area
Faster casting.

And once i get my hands on a Bino i might even try the CI version.
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwABAW8FtQZwBx4NfA5ID6sRLREvEVARlhNtFAkV1xa_GmwbJR1PH8ci6iL0JIsmiCsKK3gsnCymLL8tiy2oMHE0CjW5N2ZEq0ZxSRNJUUmxS3hLrk6fUq9VrlZjV8lcQFxrXfJn_GwLbRl1nnaCen98g3_GghCDCYRIhq6Hy4ngi3qNv49Gj6aP-pDWkx-TJ5Uum6GdrqEvpwinK6ebrUqxkLQMtNG1SLcwt9a7Tb6AvorDOsNtyAzK088V1CPXz9lb21ndX92o37Di9-ZY6NbpAuq662Pr7uwY74jw1ffB99f5Nw==
Last edited by tweakzero on Dec 14, 2015, 8:32:25 PM
Yeah admittedly defense is sucky as is. I'm being lazy by running a play every map with the same set up, clarity even though it's not needed save as a QOL in minus regen maps. Abyssal cry in case I run into large packs of spikers...

Dropping clarity would allow for a defensive aura pretty easily...

The life regen was me trying out Righteous Fire for an Extra multiplier and an extra dot. It works but It ended up being more micro management than it was worth. Yeah that dominus kill seems to take a while, but enfeeble tends to do that.

But in all honesty I've yet to have a death that wasn't lack of attention on my behalf, to be fair the highest map I've played was an Arsenal map.

It's quite silly how unafraid I am with this build, even the beyond bosses are a joke, if they don't die as they spawn through stray DoT's then it's just a case of hit and run.
It' only the Bino's that spread the poison or Contagion does that too ?
(for me Contagion spread only ED)
Just Bino's.

The problem being that the area to which it is spread isn't the largest. That's where contagion spread ED complements it nicely.

Afterall, having BOTH ED and the poison ticking is what makes things melt.
I thought slower projectile only modifies the projectile portion of ED, it shouldn't modify the DOT right? Also, how does poison work into chaos? they are not the same right? Thx for helping
ED is flagged as a projectile so the damage boost from Slower Projectile affects the skill as a whole.

What's more, oddly enough it will actually boost the poison applied by the initial hit.

Poison isn't the same as the direct damage or the DoT applied by ED. Bascially 10% of all chaos and phys. direct damage is applied as poison damage. In the case of ED the initial hit.

This poison damage scales of any Chaos or DoT increases just like the DoT applied by ED. So in other words, any bonuses you pick up for ED will also apply to your poison, so why not throw poison into the mix!

Thread recently posted by Bex_GGG
Spoiler
"
The following questions relate to the new Poison mechanics:

Is "10% of Chaos and Physical damage for 2 seconds" (stackable) the general rule when applying poison from any source (Viper strike, Adder's Touch, Unique items..) or only from Poison support gem?

It's the same for all instances except Viper Strike, at the moment. Viper Strike specifically overrides the poison duration with its own base skill duration.

"..as Chaos Damage Per Second" - does this means that Increased Chaos damage nodes increase produced poison damage?

Poison deals Chaos Damage over Time, so is affected by increases to Chaos Damage, Damage Over Time, and Poison Damage.

Do increased skill effect duration nodes and support gems increase poison duration?

Yes, they do.

Does Poison work with Projectile attacks?

Yes, it'll work with any direct hits of Physical or Chaos Damage.

Is there a limit to number of stacks of poison?

There is no stack limit.

If Poison is linked to a Projectile attack does "increased projectile damage" also increase poison damage?

In this case, the Projectile Damage will also increase the Poison damage, meaning the bonus will apply twice if the poison is applied by a projectile.

If I link an attack gem to Poison, does linking Void Manipulation increases poison damage?

Void manipulation will apply to the poison. If your skill deals chaos damage, it will apply to the hit, and then to the damage of the poison based on that hit.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1511833
nice one, i try to find/chance a binos.

and try the increased projectile dmg node near nullification.
2 passive points = 30% increased proj dmg and 10% speed, the dmg also applies to the dot
Added video of Necropolis / Malformation / Crematorium map bosses (estimated upload at 01:00 (CET))

Still trying to get hold of higher tier maps, RNG is not on my side...
So after some fiddling around i have settled on this build

Spoiler
http://poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwMBAdEDHgSzBfkHHgj0CaoOSA-rES0RLxGWE20UCRa_GYofQR_HIvQkiyaIJpUrCit4LJwtizIBMtE2PTpYRKtFR0WdSRNJUUmxUq9TUlVLVa5VxlxAXfJh4mHrYqxn_GjyakNqjGwLbIxtGW1sdZ52gnpTfIN_xoIQg9uHy4ngj0aPpo_6kx-TJ5Uulwaa4Jsmm6GdqqEiogCiQKLZpwinm6yYrUqv67DYshm00bVItzC747zqwFTAZsCawzrEosgMyBTPFc9618_Z_N-w5ljrY-vu74jwH_DV9Pj1b_fX-Tf-ug==

Seems to have enough life regen + the regen u get from Ed and Bino's to have you survive.
182% life isnt much but for this build id say its plenty
and you get:
101% Proj dmge
134% DoT
216% chaos Dmge
130% Spell dmge

12% atk dmge.

So loads of dmge :)
Also the 30% proj speed is very very usefull. stops u having to aim.

with this build at lvl 66 (dunno how many points exactly) i am doing 3k tooltip dps for ED but 13k chaos over time.
this amount of dmge combined with the fact the most monsters will have is like 15% chaos res means everything melts and i havent even lvl'd yet...
this isnt going to be your end game meta build but it sure is fun to watch lvl 72+ mobs melt when your only lvl 66.

After i get a bino's ill take a closer look at how much dmge the poison really does because for example it will cost me 6 points to get 135% poison dmge. if binos does 10% of the chaos dmge that ED does on initial hit thats say for example 500 dmge (from a 5k hit) so adding another 675 dmge as a DOT might not be as useful as spending those 6 points on start of ranger tree which 71% proj dmge
so the same 5k hit now becomes a 6-7k hit and now the poison dmge + the ED dmge are all higher.

i'll keep investing time into the play and see what refinements i can make but as it stands the build is basicaly set to become a fast as a hell clear speed MF char :) it makes docks so funny when u run with your ED and follow the deaths... hahaha

BTW for Gems i found that the below seems to work best DPS wise.

4L - ED + Void + Rapid + Cont D
5L - Slower Proj
6L - empower

check out - Its like a PA (Caustic Arrow now...) build base dmge increase outweighs extra multiplier
http://poedb.tw/us/gem.php?n=Essence+Drain
Last edited by tweakzero on Dec 16, 2015, 12:08:39 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info