[2.1] Essence Drain / Poison Bino's Witch (Pre 2.1.1B)

It's 10% of the initial hit to work out the base damage of the poison. Then all bonuses applied to the skill applying the poison are applied to said poison. + any bonuses to poison.

So at my current level and passives, gear... ED deals an initial hit of 2425-3631. For argument sake let average that out, let's say 3000. So the base damage of your poison would be 300.

ED DoT's base damage is showing 727.8 but dealing 14839.8, an increase of approximately x20.4.
Presuming I'm reading the poison clarifications right, the poison applied by ED is affected by this same increase, so our 300 base damage is now 6120. But that doesn't include poison damage increase. 110% from the gem + 125% from the tree so 235%. So poison damage should be dealing 14382d/s.

Poison applied by EDs initial hit is therefore dealing 97% of EDs DoT damage.

On top of which Poison has it's own advantage over ED's DoT: it stacks. So on boss fights you are more or less doubling the Damage of ED's DoT then adding 97% extra DoT per stack. So with 2 stacks you're at 43603.8 d/s. Not to shabby.

Also I agree with the importance of increasing the base damage instead of just throwing multipliers at it, that's why I opted for Iron Will, I'm sitting at 320STR on my charater, which with the base 37% MD from the gem works out to 101% extra magic damage. Slower projectiles I can't get on board with, the projectile is way to slow as is.
Have you tried going duel wands? I'm having no problem clearing T10 maps relying on ED's heal and acrobatics. You lose the life regen and poison spread that bino's offers but gain a TON of damage. I started out by having the duel wands on weapon swap for bosses but now I only switch to dagger\shield on sketchy maps.

This setup is geared towards doing high single target while still having really good clear speed. Duel wands let you get a large amount of spell damage, cast speed, and projectile speed. That last one lets you use slower proj and not hate your life.

Here is my tree (WIP):

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwMA37CCEI-mRKtVriycK3gRLR_HfIMti-vubRky0ZrgHNyX9Aj0IvRFR0WduJOPGlJTwFRsC8BmU1Io-peVPV-86mpDkycEs4LHTLO-in_GogD56B2-0B8EB6EvEZbwH0GHM4fv6-vkg9sOSAceaPK3PgPuXypVxl3ytzCVLv4KOlgrChQJ8NXyRdi9ES8TbY_6SVE64TWS62MmiFxAplf-j7VINj2Hy03jdoKdqqebyAxsjHWetNFirM8VFr8mlWHiVUsDHh9BtMXC7AW1BnBOn3p_jb_UIzBx3ahLeDpC

Offence:

Initial hit is 6,880
degen 16,741 DPS + Poison

Defence:
188% life
Blasphemy + Temp chains + Enfeeble (Deodre's Damning)
40% chance to dodge attacks + 46% chance to dodge spells
Evasion

Nothing too crazy with my gear but I am destroying content. I just had the easiest time killing Aziri.

Last edited by Neonarg on Dec 16, 2015, 4:41:57 AM
Yeah dual wands is good but kinda defeats the object. I prefer to think of this build as a poison heavy build rather than a run of the mill ED contagion build.

On the matter of a ton more damage I'm not convinced, single target yes, AoE? Definitely no. The number you've provided are for your degen only 2k more/s, so once your contagion spreads the ED you'd be doing 16k/s as an AoE. With the poison spread I'm closer to 28k/s AoE.

Running dual wield daggers with Bino's and a high spell damage off hand brings the single target DoT more in line with each other, but your initial hit would remain higher.

I'm not dependent on contagion for AoE damage, but you can get contagion and ED out faster due to cast speed.

On the whole both builds are probally on par clear speed wise but are philosophically different.

You have got a lot better defenses than my build though. I'm clearing level 10 maps packed with mods with little difficulty, but boy do I sweat at times!!
Last edited by SicNNasty on Dec 16, 2015, 7:30:03 AM
can u open ur profile?

I really want to refer your gears :)

I've updated the post to include my current gear.

Also updated the skill tree as per other trees posted here. I've grabbed acrobatics and sniper in exchange of 52% chaos damage and some mana, but picked up extra life, projectile damage, and some extra STR for life and Iron Will synergy.

ED has lost around 100DMG on the initial hit and 350DMG/S on the DoT.
I've gained Approx 200life and acrobatics.

Seems reasonable.
Playing talisman and haven't yet found a bino, and couldn't find anything more than a 4L so not even using Poison up to now (fully intend to though) so maybe what I'm doing is superfluous but :

I'm thinking of running a curse on hit / vulnerability setup on my Chaos golem (alongside minion health still), not sure about the curse spread though (it does increase DoT effects by a pretty interesting margin)

Self-casting Contagion (with just increased duration atm, lasts longs enough anyway)
and totem-casting Wither makes for way easier boss kills (kind of always full stacks, if increased duration is there (isn't yet for me, so if I don't pre-recast the totem the downtime is enough to unstack the buff)

With how long Contagion is, I usually run out of mobs to spread ED to before contagion actually ends, and I don't mind self casting it anyway, and it's not really "that long" a cast, while being able to stack Wither on everyone is basically a 140% increase as a debuff (which should logically be multiplicative with everything else, might be wrong there), so even more health from ED (not having bino yet, that additional health is welcome.)

Then again I'll only start mapping tonight so maybe it's only 'cos atm mobs are squishy enough to not need a totemcast contagion?
Last edited by PathOfShalti on Dec 16, 2015, 1:54:17 PM
"
I'm thinking of running a curse on hit / vulnerability setup on my Chaos golem

Curse on hit doesn't work on minions unfortunately.

I'm actually trying out a wither totem at the moment, it's indeed pretty sick on bosses. I've got contagion as a self cast though a lot of the time I don't actually use it.

As wither increses the damage taken it is increasing the potency of the initial poison that then spreads a more power punch with binos. It makes the build feel more like a full poison build and less like a contagion ED build with a twist.

WIP :p
"
SicNNasty wrote:
"
I'm thinking of running a curse on hit / vulnerability setup on my Chaos golem

Curse on hit doesn't work on minions unfortunately.

Okay didn't know that. (I'm more into minionless builds anyway, only using the golem for the bonus x))

But yeah with bino's contagion might even become not even needed (until +60% health T11+ where I'm not sure the poison would be enough). Unfortunately, considering the love/hate relationship I have with RNGesus, I'll probably run a 5L and a crap wand until I'm lvl 90 or sthg :p
OK to i get it now.

the Contagion ED type builds basicaly gave you the idea of stacking poison and seeing if binos poison would perform.
With the added benefit of even more dmge if u really feel like casting contagion.

I still havent got a bino on new league yet but im interested to know if the regen is enough to sustain you?

I mean heck if i dont need to spec into acro i wont and ill use those points for even more dmge.

the only thing id say i need to point out is when your doing your calculations omit the gems linked to ED because unless the bino's poison is also directly affected by the gems that support the skill that initiates the poison then your numbers would be off. im not 100% if thats how it works.

Last edited by tweakzero on Dec 16, 2015, 7:42:44 PM
I tried with binos, for my surprise the poison damage is good, although i don't have the toxin nodes.
But im ci not life

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info