Any reasons left to continue playing PoE?

Since the next expansion isn't going to add any long-term-motivational-content either, is there any reason left to continue to play this game?

I've cleared most challenges and levelled a char of each class to 80+ at some point. Races and leagues (leagues are just races that are LONGER) bore the shit out of me. I'm not interested in starting from zero over and over again (especially since early no-item no-skills game is boring as hell, and I could never be competitive since I don't party and I don't just RUN PAST monsters. that simply isn't the game I want to play). Since meaningful trading still isn't implemented (and probably won't ever be), there is no way for me to play for the economic side of things (which otherwise would be a huge draw for me).

So, what I'm stuck at doing now is grinding maps in standard. Which is more boring than ever since the idiotic xp nerf. Add to that death xp penalties and it's pretty much meaningless. And the fact most uniques I add to the clutter already in my stash are completely useless doesn't help.

So, I recently dropped League of Legends because I'm tired of the constant game-destroying changes. I'm not ready at this point to completely focus on Entropia Universe, since that is a very slow paced game, and I need something to fill my excitement void. I can't switch back to what I used to play in the past (single-player RPGs) since I can't justify to myself spending so much time on something that isn't competitive (online gaming has literally ruined my life in that way) without recording it for youtube let's plays - which I can't do since I can't record my game sound and headset microphone at the same time - and I can't find any solution to this problem!

So, am I missing something? Is there any rational justification I could use to continue playing PoE? Or is it finally time to stop waiting ggg will make it worth my time at some point. Suggestions for a new game I could pick up which fills the competitive action-based void are also welcome. Thing is, I don't LIKE the 21st century style of games. Anything I would like to pick up would have to FEEL retro.

hope I get some answers, tx in advance
since I have no hope for significant game design improvements in this game I am officially done with Path of Exile. done for good
Last edited by LMTR14 on Nov 30, 2015, 4:38:10 AM
Only you know when it's time to take a break or are finished with a game, and it reads like your mind is made up.

I've spent years myself trying this and that in all genres, waiting for my IDEAL game to appear on Steam. It never has, so I settled on PoE as my spare time sink after another game I play crashed and burned (I've played PoE on and off since beta).

I'm with you when you say you don't like most 21st century style games. Games these days feel more and more like bad copy/paste attempts of great past games, that or they're crappy looking indie titles or cash grab mobile app crap.

I think PoE looks and plays fantastic for a free2play title and has plenty of replay-ability. I also love that it doesn't hold my hand like a lot of modern titles do. Nothing else on the market really interests me as much as PoE so I play this and try and level to 100, fiddle with how my H/O appears and wait for new leagues and content to explore and play test.

I wouldn't pigeon hole yourself to competitive online titles too, I've been there myself in the past with titles like DOTA, Counter Strike, HoN and LoL and sometimes a break from that area of gaming can be refreshing. I really enjoyed playing Tomb Raider (2013) if you're looking for something a little different to play. Was a great game to explore and solve puzzles and snipe enemies with bow and arrow from hundreds of metres away. It was a really cool and interesting story/environment to explore too. Just a suggestion - good luck with whatever you decide.
"The key to winning any fight is simply staying alive."
Last edited by WARPAINTER on Nov 30, 2015, 5:28:44 AM
"
LMTR14 wrote:
Since the next expansion isn't going to add any long-term-motivational-content either, is there any reason left to continue to play this game?

I've cleared most challenges and levelled a char of each class to 80+ at some point. Races and leagues (leagues are just races that are LONGER) bore the shit out of me. I'm not interested in starting from zero over and over again (especially since early no-item no-skills game is boring as hell, and I could never be competitive since I don't party and I don't just RUN PAST monsters. that simply isn't the game I want to play). Since meaningful trading still isn't implemented (and probably won't ever be), there is no way for me to play for the economic side of things (which otherwise would be a huge draw for me).

So, what I'm stuck at doing now is grinding maps in standard. Which is more boring than ever since the idiotic xp nerf. Add to that death xp penalties and it's pretty much meaningless. And the fact most uniques I add to the clutter already in my stash are completely useless doesn't help.

So, I recently dropped League of Legends because I'm tired of the constant game-destroying changes. I'm not ready at this point to completely focus on Entropia Universe, since that is a very slow paced game, and I need something to fill my excitement void. I can't switch back to what I used to play in the past (single-player RPGs) since I can't justify to myself spending so much time on something that isn't competitive (online gaming has literally ruined my life in that way) without recording it for youtube let's plays - which I can't do since I can't record my game sound and headset microphone at the same time - and I can't find any solution to this problem!

So, am I missing something? Is there any rational justification I could use to continue playing PoE? Or is it finally time to stop waiting ggg will make it worth my time at some point. Suggestions for a new game I could pick up which fills the competitive action-based void are also welcome. Thing is, I don't LIKE the 21st century style of games. Anything I would like to pick up would have to FEEL retro.

hope I get some answers, tx in advance

Try changing your build into something that will not get exp penalized and slowly but surely you'll reach all of your goals in game .
R.I.P 4.B.
I feel a bit like Op said, but I still have left goals in PoE:
1) Lvl 90 in hardcore
2) Kill Malachai in Hardcore
3) Get 1 char to lvl100
4) Find Shavrones Wrappings by-my-self
5) Mirror of Kalandra :) some day...?
6) Fishing Master (go search for Winding Pier)

... and that PoE is constantly growing, addings of new content etc.

If you don't like death exp penalty stop dying or play hc. Set up hard to reach goals whether it will be doing Uber/Core Malachai/Grandmasters/PVP/lvl100/etc or else just take a long break.

At the moment I'm bored as fuck as well, but still have to reach my personal goals(Uber on HC + acquire a mirror) otherwise I wouldn't be playing the game at all.
Sounds to me like your burnt out fellow exile.

this happens to all of us, may I suggest getting into Dota 2, its a great Moba and very much more complicated than Lol.

Grim Dawn is also a good game if you still want to play an ARPG.

When I have a break I just play Dota 2, then when I have my fill, I come back and get the same feeling from when I started playing POE 4 years ago ^^.

Have a bit of a break and then come back refreshed, as we all do :)

GG GGG
Existence is infinite, a weave of live and dead, beyond the understanding of the many mortal threads.
Embrace death to honour the lost, no fear in life no matter the cost. With one of all we are and all of one we trust, throughout past, present and future...... be just.
It sounds like you need to take a break and play some Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike in training for SFV. Give up this dead genre and move onto fight games.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
my problem isn't so much burnout but really only the factual lack of a long-term game element. the cyclic nature ggg enforces (races, leagues where you start from level 1, the actual grinding process) is completely unappealing to me. the basic gameplay of PoE is gold! coming up with character builds, levelling etc is FINE but the long-term purpose is missing since playing just eventually leads to level 80+ boredom! and no matter how many new chars I create it will always be the same that way. ggg lacks the creativity and will to implement a simple system for long-term appeal (I could name several options, hell maybe I'll post my expansion draft ziggy didn't like on the forum after all). I have ZERO trust in ggg, in 2 years they never fixed any of my complaints

so time off really wouldn't solve anything, it would just repeat the cycle of purposelessness

but fuck, I don't want to have to reinstall LoL for the seventh time, I'm so tired of Riot's stupidity. :-( I don't play Valve games as a matter of principle. hearthstone didn't do anything for me this time either, I'm just really bad at it for some reason (mainly that I don't like to play tcgs ultra-offensively); I've been banned for life from the game that was perfect (!) (for no legit reason, I'm not mentioning the name since that could lead to people checking it out and I sure as hell don't want that!)... to cut a long story short I'm out of a game and it fucking sucks!

ps: I'm not good at fighting games either. in my gaming life, I only ever was good at LoL (late season 4), rpgs and... pinball games (where I'm world class actually - but nobody plays those anymore :-()
since I have no hope for significant game design improvements in this game I am officially done with Path of Exile. done for good
Last edited by LMTR14 on Nov 30, 2015, 7:11:58 AM
But you can get better if you try!
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
It sounds like you're pretty close to burning out, if you're not already.
Well there's certainly nothing wrong with taking a break, come back in a few months and see what's new.

The question is what to do instead...

Something actiony but a bit retro in feel and with some competition in it.
And if I'm reading your post correctly, something with a bit of strategy and thought in it...

Okay, I'm kind of drawing a blank here.
All I can think of it are the Dark Souls games and I don't know if they fit into your categories.
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info